PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant use update GUI from behind a proxy server

pk_rulz
January 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hi

I have installed Ubuntu 8.10. My university uses a proxy server which needs to be authenticated.

I have given my login name and password at

System >> Administration >> Synaptic Package Manager >> Settings >> Preferences >> Network >> Manual Proxy Configuration and given my login details in the authenticate tab

However when I use the update manager and click on reload I get a message saying
W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid-security/multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_IN.bz2 Could not resolve 'pradeep.podal'

where pradeep.podal is my login name ....

Any Ideas what is going wrong ... Please help

Rgds
Pradeep

avtolle
January 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Take a qucik look at /etc/apt/sources.list
cat /etc/apt/sources.listto see if your login name has somehow become attached to any of the sources. If so, you will need to edit the file using the text editor of your choice to remove that.

EDIT: you will need to run the above from a terminal, accessed through Applications>Accessories>Terminal.

torgrot
January 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I would also check Synaptic Package Manager. Under preferences, network there is a place to enter the proxy server name and information. I have always had to set it up in both places in order to get out through our proxy server here.

torgrot

pk_rulz
January 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Tried both ....

The file /etc/apt/sources.list contains nothing related to my login ....
Also updated the network proxy in my preferences ...

Can some one tell me which file maintains my login name and password ... so that I can have a look there and find is everything is fine there

Thanks
Pradeep

pk_rulz
January 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Ok there is some info I got .... I suspected the dot in my name to be culprit and it turns out that indeed it is .... when I tried a friends login without any dot the update went pass through this stage ... although I still got an error that my key is not valid ... but atleast it did not say that it was not able to resolve the <login-name> ... Any ideas ... I even tried this "pradeep\.podal" and but to no avail ... any ideas on how can I do with the DOT in my login-name

pk_rulz
January 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Any updates ... any 1