PDA

View Full Version : Random USB Booting Question.

Roasted
January 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
If your USB flash drive holds other data, such as files, applications, etc... is it still possible to put a LiveCD ISO (such as GParted) on it (along with all of the other existing data) and successfully boot to your USB flash drive?

The situation:

I have a Dell Optiplex 740. Thanks to Dell's idea to include weird fricken chipset drivers, GParted doesn't pick up the HDD and just spins and spins and spins. I ran out of CDs and I've found a couple LiveCD downloads in the testing stage with GParted, but I have nothing to burn them to. :( I was hoping I could just add it to my flash drive and boot to it.

JunCTionS
January 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, you can. I used to have a pendrive with data and a single large file where Puppylinux was stored. I imagine this is the same way the new ubuntu live pendrives work now.
In this website (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-kubuntu-810-install-via-usb-creator/) you can find the instructions to get it working with a liveCD (which you don't have) but the procedure is almost the same if you already have a computer running any 'buntu. And if you can only get your hands on a Windows there's also a related article at the bottom that covers this scenario.