PDA

View Full Version : found a control group! New computer user

uberdonkey5
January 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Just a big 'whoooooooooaaaaaaah!' for ubuntu.

Most people do not convert from windows to linux because it is 'different' to windows (well, yeh. Why would you change to something that is the same??).

My girlfriend works in dance/theatre and rarely uses a computer. For documents she gets a friend to type them out in Word.

However, recently she wanted to use my computer, so I said fine, and she was working away on the internet and with open-office, and downloading files. Next thing I hear her talking to her friend on the mobile saying 'this is so much better than your computer, it just does everything I want straight away and it doesn't crash.'

She then had to explain to her friend that my computer doesn't have 'word' but can load and save word documents. Also, we both use modems for internet.

Well, her friend uses windows XP and has similar specs to my computer. I'm guessing her friend needs to defrag (or reinstall). But it is an interesting control group that shows that people DO like ubuntu if they are just not accustomed to windows.

Doubt if its a real market opportunity (she'll just use my computer and get me to do her work now!), but I think definately if we want to increase the community, targetting children with ubuntu is a definate.

Bölvağur
January 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Linux can be extremely easy for people that doesn't need specific Windy only programs. As an example are the elderly, the very young and blonds that just browse on facebook and youtube. The problem is with the people that are used to use specific programs that are Windows only, and those people it is much harder to convince to switch if they havent seen and used your computer.

Nevon
January 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Or you could just introduce them to Vista. That's what got my brother to switch to Linux after using Windows for almost 10 years now. ;)

xpod
January 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
But it is an interesting control group that shows that people DO like ubuntu if they are just not accustomed to windows.

I can certainly testify to that,as could our children,most of them anyway.
I prefered Ubuntu over Windows from day one but if i`d have had 4 years using Windows rather than the 4 months i did before discovering Ubuntu i`m sure things would have been different.
It might have taken a whole month to wipe XP rather than the week it did.

uberdonkey5
January 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I can certainly testify to that,as could our children,most of them anyway.
I prefered Ubuntu over Windows from day one but if i`d have had 4 years using Windows rather than the 4 months i did before discovering Ubuntu i`m sure things would have been different.
It might have taken a whole month to wipe XP rather than the week it did.

lol, unfortunately ubuntu wasn't around when I started using windows. Infact I remember using DOS. In them days it was amazing to get a program with WYSIWYG, though some people would say we don't even have it now!

earthpigg
January 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM
cool ;)

MaxIBoy
January 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
targetting children with ubuntu is a definate.:???:

You sound like a sniper.

Still, this stuff is good to know.

uberdonkey5
January 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
:???:

You sound like a sniper.

Still, this stuff is good to know.

did I say targeting children with ubuntu?
I meant to say targeting children with a bazooka. This is the genocide fan blogg isn't it?

sydbat
January 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM
...blonds that just browse on facebook and youtube.rotflmao!!!!

rocknrolf77
January 12th, 2009, 06:50 PM
It was about the same with my girlfriend too. She bought her first "real" computer a couple of years ago and I loaded ubuntu onto it. The shrunk xp partition is never used.