PDA

View Full Version : Coffee. How is it made so it's good.

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I had my first cup today, but, some people prefer it a certain way, i tryed it plain, it was ok, a little bitter, i tryed some non-dairy creamer, bit better, then added some sugar, bit better, then i added milk, more creamer, and more sugar, then it was yucky. Whats a good combo for a begginner drinking coffee?

fissionmailed
January 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I started drinking coffee a long time ago. IMO the best tasting coffee is made fresh ground beans, brewed strong and drank right after it finishes brewing. No flavoring or sugar or creamer or anything. Straight up black coffee.

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I started drinking coffee a long time ago. IMO the best tasting coffee is made fresh ground beans, brewed strong and drank right after it finishes brewing. No flavoring or sugar or creamer or anything. Straight up black coffee.

Thanks, and nice avatar, i had vista for almost a year, and everything that could go wrong, did, terrible OS if you ask me. I'd use linux any day! What coffee would the average 13 year old prefer, and how does pure coffee taste like? Please respond.

jrusso2
January 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I think the biggest mistake people make when making coffee is making it too weak. Then when you add milk or cream its even weaker.

I like mine with half and half and sugar.

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I think the biggest mistake people make when making coffee is making it too weak. Then when you add milk or cream its even weaker.

I like mine with half and half and sugar.

How much sugar, and what IS half and half?

Cope57
January 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Filtered water, and follow instructions according to packaging.

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Filtered water, and follow instructions according to packaging.

Is there a way to make coffee without a coffee maker? Just wondering.

jrusso2
January 12th, 2009, 08:51 AM
How much sugar, and what IS half and half?

Oh yes water is important you use cold water, and if you have filter that's even better. Half and Half is half creamer half milk so its richer. I use a couple teaspoons of sugar per cup.

I use a lot of half and half. About a quarter of the cup.

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Any sites on different ways to prepare coffee?

toupeiro
January 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
http://www.sendexnet.com/2007en/arquivosImagem/imggd_produto.php?img=1&id=607

You can't mess it up. Its good even when its bad.

guitar_man
January 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I started drinking coffee couple of years ago....
I drink 3in1 instant coffee,sugar and cream were included.Dont need a coffee maker cause its instant,just add hot water:lolflag:

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I started drinking coffee couple of years ago....
I drink 3in1 instant coffee,sugar and cream were included.Dont need a coffee maker cause its instant,just add hot water:lolflag:

Instant coffee? Doesn't sound very appealing, sounds kinda cheap.

dannytatom
January 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM
If you're gonna add creamer, pre-sweetened liquid creamers the way to go.

Turd Ferguson
January 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Caribou Coffee + 2 packs sugar + your basic half&half = good stuff!!

dentharg
January 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
A lot of coffee taste goes with wrong grinding. You can have not-so-good coffee maker but get decent coffee if it's ground to proper size: to big and the water will sip too fast through it, to small and it won't sip at all :)
By definition espresso is made 30ml/minute AFAIK.

So: excellent coffer maker + bad grinder = swill (untasty coffee)
decent coffee maker + great grinder = k/ubuntu ;)

guitar_man
January 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM
@dragos240:lolflag:
My mother gave me this brand of coffee last Christmas http://www.cw-usa.com/coffee-maxwellhouse.html and i cant make it taste good.:lolflag:

heres my coffee
http://www.smartvietnam.vn/ver/admin/upload/logo/nestcafe.jpg:lolflag:

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM
@dragos240:lolflag:
My mother gave me this brand of coffee last Christmas http://www.cw-usa.com/coffee-maxwellhouse.html and i cant make it taste good.:lolflag:

heres my coffee
http://www.smartvietnam.vn/ver/admin/upload/logo/nestcafe.jpg:lolflag:

Hey! That maxwell one was the same i used this morning! No wonder XD

guitar_man
January 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
@dragos240

:lolflag:try http://www.smartvietnam.vn/ver/admin/upload/logo/nestcafe.jpg....

instant coffee are good:lolflag:
you dont need a coffee maker,just add hot water and stir it up....
lets get together and feel alright

mcduck
January 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Any proper dark-roasted beans, freshly grinded, and a french press. No sugar and definitely no milk, only bad coffee needs extra stuff to hide it's taste.

I see d-coffee in the same way as non-alcoholic beer. Can't see the point and tastes horrible as well. Instant coffee is pretty bad as well but at least I manage to drink it if real stuff isn't available.

By the way, I've visited US couple of times and it always amazes me how bad coffee you have there, knowing that there are lots of small shops selling really good beans. I had to start my mornings with a quad-espresso to get something even close to the normal cup of coffee I drink at home. :D

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hey! Guess what, i think i've found my blend :D . 3 Table spoons of folgers, 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk, 3 cups of cold filtered water, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and 1 cup of the stuff in a life is good coffee cup, actually pretty decent! But probibly could be a bit better.

mr.propre
January 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
The way somebody likes his coffee really depends on the person.
If I look @ myself, I drink it black with sugar when I make it self using my coffee machine. But when I drink coffee made by somebody else I add some milk to it.

mips
January 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not a big fan of coffee at all, if I smell coffe in the morning I feel nauseas. I do however get the occasional craving though every two months or so and I will order myself a double Espresso (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso) & a glass of cold water. The coffee I take without sugar or milk and it has to be strong. I use the water to cleanse my palate. Sometimes I will order two in a row.

Islington
January 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The way somebody likes his coffee really depends on the person.
If I look @ myself, I drink it black with sugar when I make it self using my coffee machine. But when I drink coffee made by somebody else I add some milk to it.

As black as night, as sweet as sin eh?

chrisccoulson
January 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I drink coffee very black with no sugar. Like espresso strength, but in a whole mug. I get headaches if I don't get my caffeine fix

Visti
January 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Why exactly do you want to drink coffee?

It's hardly good for you and you don't like the taste. Done deal. Don't damage your body for no reason.

chrisccoulson
January 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Why exactly do you want to drink coffee?

It's hardly good for you and you don't like the taste. Done deal. Don't damage your body for no reason.

Wha?? Who says I don't like the taste?

chucky chuckaluck
January 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
there's a lot of variety in coffee and variety in the ways in which it can be prepared. obviously, the appreciation of something like coffee is subjective and your own tastes for it can vary and even change over time. what you want to do is to get an idea of all the ways coffee can be roasted, brewed and prepared and know what the results of all those treatments taste like. then, you can choose what you like best at any given time. i usually like french roast coffee made like mud, but that's just me.

Visti
January 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Wha?? Who says I don't like the taste?

I guess I misread the original post, sorry.

Still seriously unhealthy.

chrisccoulson
January 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Unhealthy doesn't worry me as long as it tastes nice.

barbedsaber
January 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
which is the better way to make coffee?
The brewer thing, with the plunger
or
the thing that you put water in the bottom, coffee in the thing above it, and put on a stove, so the water goes through the coffee, and comes out the top.
also, which uses less ground?

sofasurfer
January 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I drink Starbucks Espresso. Black. Love it although I do make a little face. I used to drink restuarant coffee. Always killed it with cream and sugar. Now I can not even think about drinking it.

Visti. How is coffee "bad" for you? It may not offer any benifits but how is it bad? You been watching advertisements from the AMA?

aaaantoine
January 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_and_health

Like pretty much any other food, consume in moderation.

As for me, I enjoy a cup or two per day. I used to drink it with sweetened creamer (CoffeeMate, International Delight), but my wife decided to stop buying creamer and instead get half-and-half. Fine by me; it's probably cheaper that way. With half-and-half, a teaspoon of all-natural sugar does wonders. Either that or a splash of french vanilla syrup, depending on whether I feel like stirring or not.

sofasurfer
January 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Dangers of coffee ( see wikipedia )
-----------------

those who drank more coffee were significantly less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease...

lower incidence of gallstones and gallbladder disease...

less likely to contract Parkinson's Disease...

its ability to increase short term recall and increase IQ...

increases the effectiveness of pain killers...

may reduce one's risk of diabetes mellitus...

can also reduce the incidence of cirrhosis of the liver...

is also correlated to a reduced risk of oral, esophageal, and pharyngeal cancer...

reduces the incidence of heart disease...

is sometimes considered to prevent constipation...

contains the anticancer compound methylpyridinium...

decreased risk of gout...
-----------------------------------------------------

Admittedly, coffee also causes some minor symptoms which are non life threatening and non dangerous.

Compare this to almost any product produced by the phamacutical companies or recommended by the medical profession. Any PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) will show that the majority of their "safe" products offer dangerous and deadly side effects for any person who is unlucky enough to be on the negative side of their statistics.

fissionmailed
January 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks, and nice avatar, i had vista for almost a year, and everything that could go wrong, did, terrible OS if you ask me. I'd use linux any day! What coffee would the average 13 year old prefer, and how does pure coffee taste like? Please respond.

I used it for an hour on my laptop before I installed Linux. :)

Coffee is a personal thing like anything. Different people like different things. Some people like flavor coffee while some don't. Younger people tend to like sweeter things but other than that I really don't know.

chrisccoulson
January 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Dangers of coffee ( see wikipedia )
-----------------

<snip>
can also reduce the incidence of cirrhosis of the liver...
<snip>

It's good that I drink lots of coffee then, as it might negate the effects of all the wine that i also drink.

chucky chuckaluck
January 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
It's good that I drink lots of coffee then, as it might negate the effects of all the wine that i also drink.

+1. too late for the alzheimer's, i'm afraid.

Barrucadu
January 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
There is no way to make good coffee. Tea is the only hot drink worth... drinking.

minipod2002
January 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
The average person in England would drink it with milk and maybe a spoonful of coffee. I myself prefer 'proper coffee', that is made with ground beans rather than instant granules. I like to make it quite strong (a heaped dessert spoon of coffee per person) and add then add single cream or milk, and a spoonful of brown sugar. I generally find black coffee too bitter for my tastes.

However, as was previously mentioned, everyone has different preferences.

No milk, milk, cream, half and half.
Instant granules, espresso, cafetiere (French press) coffee machine
no sugar, brown sugar, white sugar.

That gives you quite a number of options to try out!

theDaveTheRave
January 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
How to make good coffee is down to personal taste.

My preference.

Very strong, pack down the coffee into the filter, approx 1 tablespoon per mug to be prepared (2 mugs is roughly equivalent to 3 "cups" in my home, judging by the guide on the side).

I also like milky coffee, this needs to be done in a cafetiere thing (the type with a plunger), the coffee needs to stand for about 10 mins before the pluger goes down, also use about 2 or even 3 times the "standard" amount of coffee for each mug (see above). Ensure that the milk is nice and hot (use the stove if you can so as not to burn it, otherwise invest in one of those mugs that changes colour with the heat so as when it is in the microwave you know it has reached a good temperature and can turn it off), add grated chocolate if required! - this one is best consumed after a heavy lunch. For an added flavour add in your favourite brandy or similar approved (my favourites are "plum" brandy, Grand Marnier, go for whisky if you must (I often go for a JD) or your favourite blend - I would advise against a "10 year old double distiled" as you will loose the enjoyment of both the coffee and the whisky - however a coffee followed by a "10 year old double distiled" could be interesting, but I've not tried this.

A major DON'T on the coffee front.

If there is a pot of coffee on the machine and you don't know how old it is, start a fresh pot - it will taste better any way! Also if the coffee has been left on a hot plate for any length of time the chemicals in it become potentially carcinogenic, but the jury is most definately still out on this one.
see

http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol51/01-coffee.html

and see here (http://books.google.fr/books?id=WjReuSXxl4YC&pg=PA230&lpg=PA230&dq=carcinogens+in+coffee&source=web&ots=lLxcm3y0J4&sig=snXpxfKccPrgJrILbPSt3lj4Gb8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA230,M1)
read the 4 lines just before the section on "elixirs of death".

so generally I hope all enjoy thier coffee fresh and hot, instant or ground.

Me, I just like it on a basis of a little and often.

David

Coffee3133
January 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hello,

I like my coffee made from a good roast of coffee, then mixed with hot coa-coa mix, and a bit of sugar.

Sort of a poor man's cafe mocha.

But then again I like the chocolatey goodness of it all, it reminds me of sitting at borders having a cafe mocha (or two or three) there.

Nice thread:)

Thank you,

~Coffee

paparozoumis
January 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
What coffee would the average 13 year old prefer, and how does pure coffee taste like? Please respond.

I don't think it would be a good idea for a 13yo kid to start drinking coffee.
You have time to do that in the future if it's necessary, but you have to know that caffeine is really addictive.
In any case, I wouldn't encourage my son start drinking coffee at this age...
My 2c advice and take it for as much as it is worth it....

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
A lot of coffee taste goes with wrong grinding. You can have not-so-good coffee maker but get decent coffee if it's ground to proper size: to big and the water will sip too fast through it, to small and it won't sip at all :)

Good advice. The fineness of the grind is very important to how strong it will be. The finer the grind, the stronger the coffee because more is absorbed into the water.

Also for a drip-style coffee maker, most people think that if you use less coffee in the filter, your coffee will be less strong, therefore not as bitter. That's the opposite from the truth. The less coffee you use means the same coffee is continually being brewed by hot water, which means the coffee gets burnt. That makes it bitter tasting. If you use more coffee, you have less chance of the coffee getting burnt, which means it ends up not as bitter tasting.

The key to coffee strength is the fineness of the grind, more than how much you use. If you can get the grind just right so it won't be too strong, and use more coffee so it won't be bitter tasting, you'll have a good cup of coffee.

Also, a lot of people believe that a French press is the best way to make coffee.

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thats not entirely true, have you seen coffeeforhealth.com (or something like that) it lists reasons that can BENEFIT your health.

EDIT: It's positivelycoffee.org

mamamia88
January 13th, 2009, 12:51 AM
i already think coffee tastes good but if you don't like it try the iced starbucks capuchinos those are really good

lyceum
January 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I find the best way is to skip the coffee and go right for the coco :D

wolfen69
January 14th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Whats a good combo for a begginner drinking coffee?

the best way to drink it, is not to start in the first place. you will become addicted and get the shakes when you don't have it. if you don't drink it, you won't need it.

jken146
January 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM
There is no way to make good coffee. Tea is the only hot drink worth... drinking.

:) Right on!

Green_Grenade
January 14th, 2009, 02:53 AM
A French Press with a nice Dark Roasted bean. Course ground. Try to catch your water RIGHT before it starts boiling.. Add the water and ground beans and let it sit for 6 minutes!
The Best Cup Ive Ever Had was made that way. 2 tsp sugar and a splash of creamer.. Perfect day starter!

theDaveTheRave
January 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM
This is why I find myself so regularly reading these forums as opposed to doing the things I should be doing....

Good advice, that makes sense with good explanations.

I had never really thought about coffee granule size and strength before reading this, and this does make a lot of sense.

one question... is there a point where adding more granules will in fact start to make the coffee stronger again? and will the bitter taste return with that?

also I tend to "pack down" the coffee into the filter, again slowing the flow and hence increasing the strength (i guess), is this good advice? will it potentialy make the likelyhood of burning the coffee greater as more hot water will be on the granules at the top?

thanks to all for an interesting thread. Oddly enough I persistently find myself reading this while drinking a fresh coffee - just a nice simple one, no complications, just with a bit of sugar.

David

treesurf
January 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Any proper dark-roasted beans, freshly grinded, and a french press.

+1. Good coffee has thus far been impossible to find in Hong Kong...

Montblanc_Kupo
January 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Start with good quality coffee. You will never ever EVER get a good cup of coffee from folgers for example. Get good beans that were roasted recently (if possible) or are in one of those little vacuum sealed foil bags with the little seal valve on the side (this means it was most likely put in the bag after roasting and then sealed and the action of the steam and heat from the beans themselves pushed all the air out of the package).

Store it in a fairly dry cool place (NOT the refrigerator... too wet... too many temp fluctuations). The bags aren't really meant for storage... those nice ceramic, snap down to seal crocks you see at the store for a few bucks are. Throw the beans in there or in a ziplock and put them in a dark cupboard.

Grind only what you need. When you grind the beans, the oil is released and starts to mix with air which makes for bitter coffee as the volatile (aka, yummy flavor) components oxidize. Just like with fresh fruit.

Don't grind too fine or too coarse. Each method requires it's own grind process. French press requires a coarse grind, auto-drip requires a finer. Burr grinders are awesome for this. If you only have a blade grinder... auto-drip is about a 10-15 second spin and no more. Espresso is a little longer as it should be finer... but that's not coffee... that's espresso... different process entirely. Percolators are disgusting... avoid them... they're basically designed to make bad coffee.

Use enough ground coffee... 2tbsp per 6oz of cold (preferably filtered) water is a good starting point. Cold water holds more oxygen, which releases more of those afore mentioned volatile flavor components in brewing, which is why you always hear people say cold water to start with.

Water should be between 195-205 degrees. Lower and it won't draw out the flavors... and will be bitter. Higher and it will burn the coffee... and be bitter.

Drink the coffee after it's made... if you must save it... put it in a clean, preheated thermos. The longer the coffee sits on that "warming plate" exposed to heat and air... the more those afore mentioned volatile oils will oxidize and turn from flavor into bitter crud. Eventually you'll even see the coffee start to get a brown cloudy look to it from this.

There are plenty of ways to make coffee... but some good easy popular methods are:

* Auto-drip... preferably 'cone' style filters and not 'basket'. These are super easy and convenient.
* Percolators... these splash boiling water up through coffee grounds in a metal basket over and over... basically all these are good for is making engine degreaser.
* Manual baskets. Melita makes some nice ones of these... dirt cheap and fairly easy... but not as convenient as auto-drip. Basically it's an over glorified funnel that holds a large 'cone' style coffee filter (gold mesh or paper) and you set it on top of a thermos or pitcher... then heat water and pour it through the coffee yourself. If you're careful... this is a great way to do it since it's cheap and you have lots of control over the process... but it's time consuming... and honestly... I want coffee in the morning... when I'm least able to think clearly about pouring boiling liquids over unstable messy objects. hehe
* French press... tall carafe with a big plunger attached to a wire mesh disk. Coffee grounds are put in the bottom... hot water is poured over them and stirred... then after a few minutes the plunger is slowly pressed through the mixture to rid you of the grounds... then you pour from the device and enjoy. Great for after dinner... more elegant presentation... do it right at the table... much richer coffee... also more likely to get grounds or silt if you're not careful with the process (or even if you are).
* Vacuum machines... these are black magic. Basically a big glass hour glass where water is put in and the process of vacuums created from the steam and heat sucks the hot water UP through the grounds into the top half where it becomes coffee. A little creepy but damned cool. Not one to own if you have a toddler. ;)
* Espresso. This isn't coffee. Coffee is coffee beans ground and soaked in hot water. Espresso is made by blasting steam through powdered coffee beans at high speed and temperature. Most people think that espresso is higher in caffeine than coffee because of the strong rich flavor (usually more than coffee)... although it is actually usually lower in caffeine (they're both lower than black tea, fyi).
* Instant coffee... coffee that's made... then dried to leave all the coffee sediment which is reconstituted with hot water later. This is the work of some evil demonic force... anyone that gives you instant coffee should be reported to the authorities.

More often than not... people don't like coffee because "it's bitter and nasty"... this is not enough grounds and cheap coffee makers that burn the coffee.

Good coffee should be able to be enjoyed black. Personal taste for Me is a splash of cream (or half and half) and a splash of vanilla syrup (surprisingly easy to make if you don't want to shell out $10 for torannis).

$0.02

airjaw
January 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM
There was a grocery clearance sale on Amazon.com a few months ago and I ended up buying lavazza oro coffee (decent reviews, supposedly $7-8 retail a bag) for $2 a bag. I bought like 30 of them. They're stored in my cupboard and in my freezer. I agree that buying quality coffee is important if you want the coffee to taste good. Folgers is nasty IMO.

I grind new beans every couple days and I use a gevalia auto drip machine. You can find it for free after rebate on many deal sites.

I make two cups usually every morning and only put a little bit of whole milk and sugar. My guess is that it'd be one serving of each. Not too much because I like to be able to taste my coffee.

There's no magic to it beyond that. Find what you like. Everyone likes their coffee differently. I would recommend you start with adding 1 serving of both cream and sugar and either decreasing or increasing the amount you put in.

Kopachris
January 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Since we don't want to grind our own beans, we usually get Western Family ground coffee (Folgers is the best, though). If it comes with a small scooper to scoop, then you'll need twice as much as with a normal scooper. Most coffee pots that use the paper filter + coffee grounds method mark their cups as 4oz cups instead of the 8oz mugs we use. For half of a pot (3 8oz mugs, usually the 7-cup line (some of the water is absorbed by the grounds, of course)), I use 2 normal scoops of grounds. Once it's in the mug, I usually use two rounded teaspoons of sugar and a splash of milk until it's the right color. Half-and-half, evaporated milk, whipping cream, and actual creamer are all better than milk of course, but with today's economic situation, you need to pick what's more important.

BobLand
January 14th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I buy green coffee beans from single origin farms. Roast it in an iRoast2, store the roasted beans in a jar. The jars sit for at least 3 days to develop flavor and gas off. On the day we drink the coffee, we grind 2 heaping tablespoons to a coarse grind. The grounds are put into a paper filter, aka, Melita and boiling water is dripped through. No dairy or sugar. Just plain black.

This is not an expensive process tho it might cost a tad more then grocery canned coffee but the taste is incomparable.

I buy my green beans from http://www.sweetmarias.com You can pick up all the other supplies there too. I don't work there, or own stock. A friend turned me on to this place about 5 years ago and I've been roasting since then.

BTW, to roast coffee, you measure out 150 grams of beans, dump then in the hopper and turn in on. You turn the machine off when you get either the color, or smell that's right for you. Remove from hopper and let sit for a few hours to gas off. Jar and you're done. It's that easy.

For the adventurous, the roaster is programmable. I never bother to program it because the coffee is so good.

bobland

init1
January 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Is there a way to make coffee without a coffee maker? Just wondering.
You can get coffee that you make in the microwave. Isn't as good though.

treesurf
January 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I buy green coffee beans from single origin farms. Roast it in an iRoast2, store the roasted beans in a jar. The jars sit for at least 3 days to develop flavor and gas off. On the day we drink the coffee, we grind 2 heaping tablespoons to a coarse grind. The grounds are put into a paper filter, aka, Melita and boiling water is dripped through. No dairy or sugar. Just plain black.

This is not an expensive process tho it might cost a tad more then grocery canned coffee but the taste is incomparable.

I buy my green beans from http://www.sweetmarias.com You can pick up all the other supplies there too. I don't work there, or own stock. A friend turned me on to this place about 5 years ago and I've been roasting since then.

BTW, to roast coffee, you measure out 150 grams of beans, dump then in the hopper and turn in on. You turn the machine off when you get either the color, or smell that's right for you. Remove from hopper and let sit for a few hours to gas off. Jar and you're done. It's that easy.

For the adventurous, the roaster is programmable. I never bother to program it because the coffee is so good.

bobland

I bow down to your coffee making prowess (or at least your paraphernalia:)). Roasting your own must produce fantastic coffee.

laffinet
January 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Good coffee is made from freshly ground beans, using a decent espresso machine (enough pressure).

Instant isn't coffee. Just think about it. Would you drink instant beer or wine ?

TrikeKid
January 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I don't think it would be a good idea for a 13yo kid to start drinking coffee.
You have time to do that in the future if it's necessary, but you have to know that caffeine is really addictive.
In any case, I wouldn't encourage my son start drinking coffee at this age...
My 2c advice and take it for as much as it is worth it....

Do you let him drink pop and/or energy drinks? It's a different means to the same end. I hate coffee, but I am a certified caffeine addict by virtue of the amount of Coke/Amp/Monster I drink. Never shied away from a good cup of black tea, just too lazy to make it.

Laffinet, if there were such a thing as instant beer, it couldn't be any worse than Busch (or Ranier or Schmidt), people would still drink it.

Joeb454
January 15th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Would you drink instant beer or wine ?

If I'd had enough to drink before that, yes probably ;)

Instant coffee is good enough for me when I pull all nighters

laffinet
January 15th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I remember that friends in Sweden had something close to instant beer. Still had to bottle it and let it ferment for a while, but sounded close enough to instant to me. Apparently tasted like instant, too :mrgreen:

And I'm not saying don't drink instant coffee, just don't call it coffee.