PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft blocking Kopete/Pidgen?

MisterFlibble84
January 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to MSN with Kopete and Pidgen?

Pidgen won't log in, and Kopete logs in but won't pull up my contacts list.

(aMSN works)

Bachstelze
January 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah, those issues are very common. Nothing we can do, sadly...

EDIT: Well, the web messenger (http://webmessenger.msn.com/) still works. ^^"

shafi
January 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to MSN with Kopete and Pidgen?

Pidgen won't log in, and Kopete logs in but won't pull up my contacts list.

(aMSN works)

Sometimes this happen, but its not too often, after a restart you should be able to log in, I think this happen due to network problem, sometimes.

kavon89
January 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Today I have been having a problem logging onto MSN. Some error "Unable to retrieve MSN Address Book"

Microsoft must have released a new protocol update, which broke whichever one Pidgin uses.

-grubby
January 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM
It works here.

jrusso2
January 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Working here also

hivelocitydd
January 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
msn regularly does things to break compatibility with 3rd party software, usually upgrading to the latest gets it working again (or a new release soon does)

Mr. Picklesworth
January 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Nothing we can do, sadly...

Well, there is one thing you can do. Convince all your contacts to switch to Jabber / XMPP (particularly easy if they use Google for email). It's a superior system anyway, and has full support on a vast range of devices. Admittedly hasn't worked for me, but I try.

jrusso2
January 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I usually use google talk which is jabber but its on google's server.

RichardLinx
January 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I've been having issues with msn on Pidgin today as well. Emesene is working fine though.

some_random_noob
January 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Today I have been having a problem logging onto MSN. Some error "Unable to retrieve MSN Address Book"

Microsoft must have released a new protocol update, which broke whichever one Pidgin uses.

I have had the exact same error happening to me today (which is a first! Usually I get other annoying errors). What's the best alternative to this? Everyone uses MSN, so how do I escape it without being incompatible?

MisterFlibble84
January 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Same error.

Tried the Pidgin 2.5.2 from Ubuntu and the 2.5.3 from Getdeb, and both have the same problem. :(

FuturePilot
January 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah same problem here. Unable to retrieve address book. Most of my contacts are on Jabber anyway so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Polygon
January 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
its also getting that error for me. luckily i dual boot vista so im just using the offical msn client until the pidgin devs release 2.5.4 which fixes that among other things

i think it has to do with them using an older application ID which microsoft finally got around to shutting down (the old one was for MSNP14 and the newest one is 15 or something)

adamlau
January 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Just built 2.5.3 with the only diff from my last build being:

--disable-msnp15

MSN address book retrieval is now working, issue is likely related to MSNP15.

3rdalbum
January 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I have Meebo.com installed in Prism, as a backup messenger. When they've got Facebook Chat support again I'll switch full-time to Meebo.

cristianrosa
January 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Check this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037515&highlight=pidgin

binbash
January 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM
This happens often, the pidgin releases solve that kind of issues.

mcduck
January 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I suppose Microsoft just made one of their semi-frequent little changes to annoy everybody using any other client than their own.

Pidgin doesn't connect, and same thing with Adium on my mac.

Oh how I wish my friends would stop using MSN, most of them already have gmail accounts so they could just as well use gtalk, but no. :P

pluckypigeon
January 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I have this problem and so does my girlfriend who uses xp (separate Internet connections and providers)

Brynster
January 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I use Empathy it seems ok at the moment

uberdonkey5
January 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I have had the exact same error happening to me today (which is a first! Usually I get other annoying errors). What's the best alternative to this? Everyone uses MSN, so how do I escape it without being incompatible?

After a virus infected many of my friends computers through MSN (I was using linux by then), most of them chat to me through skype or gmail (not sure how MSN virus occurred). I never use pidgeon even, just direct gmail and skype for linux.

I think the best solution is actually to stop using MSN cos
1. microsoft will keep trying to exclude (or at least won't cater) to 3rd party applications and
2. MSN is likely to be the largest target for viruses/unwanted chatters!

I think MSN is one of the mosr rubbish packages ever produced.It slows your computer down enormously, has rubbish effects and background, and the smilies are distracting and annoying rather than useful!

RobsterUK
January 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM

+1

Also having this error with Pidgin.

There is a ticket open on the Pidgin bug tracking system, but the Pidgin web server seems to have become overloaded, possibly due to the increased traffic resulting from this problem.
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/8087

ww711
January 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
+1

Also having this error with Pidgin.

There is a ticket open on the Pidgin bug tracking system, but the Pidgin web server seems to have become overloaded, possibly due to the increased traffic resulting from this problem.
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/8087

Am another Pidgin/MSN user held hostage to the logging/network situation.

mcduck
January 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I got Pidgin working by installing the "msn-pecan"-package, changing the account protocol from MSN to WLM and restarting Pidgin..

Mmmbopdowedop
January 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I got Pidgin working by installing the "msn-pecan"-package, changing the account protocol from MSN to WLM and restarting Pidgin..

Yeah, this worked for me too, was just reading the thread.

Working fine for me at the moment, just have duplicate contacts in my list for some reason, suppose I can live with it. :)

ithanium
January 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM
it works with msn-pecan :D

mrgnash
January 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Switch to Jabber/Google Talk -- problem solved.

fiona-conn
January 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I've tried Windows Live Messenger on my Vista setup, and on Ubuntu, I've tried Emesene, aMSN, Pidgin and Empathy. Each time, I am getting messages about server/network errors.

x_x

I also tried the Pidgin fix, to no avail, sadly. =\

MisterFlibble84
January 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Installing msn-pecan and changing it from an MSN to WLM account logged me back in.

Thanks! :guitar:

jeremy
January 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
msn-pecan has solved the problem for me :)

Well, it has made pidgin work again, but the real problem (Micro$oft) is still there unfortunately :(

geoken
January 12th, 2009, 06:31 PM
msn-pecan has solved the problem for me :)

Well, it has made pidgin work again, but the real problem (Micro$oft) is still there unfortunately :(

I like how changes in MSN = the evilness of microsoft, while seemingly arbitrary changes in Linux app's are fine.

Can I start calling the ffmpeg devs evil because a while back they arbitrarily changed the identifiers for some codecs which made a lot of ffmpeg based gui convertors fail?

It seems ridiculous because API instability (for seemingly arbitrary reasons) is so prevelant on Linux that it's pretty much a running joke with most people who do cross platform development.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Although, in fairness, API changes tend to be documented ahead of time in the better projects (eg: with the APIs that people should actually be using).

MSN was never meant to have alternative clients and Microsoft has no interest in that happening. Jabber, on the other hand, is an open protocol so you can use whatever client you want smoothly and it works across different servers instead of being centralized.

SuperSonic4
January 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Kmess 2 isn't working but emesene is, I'll just wait for the svn of kmess to be updated

Mr. Picklesworth
January 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Oh, one observation:
Empathy with telepathy-butterfly (from the Telepathy PPA (https://launchpad.net/~telepathy/+archive)) seems to have survived happily without any hickups.

If you use specifically MSN, I really recommend Emesene ( if you don't like Empathy :( ). It doesn't have the best user interface, but it's aimed straight at MSN so it does a great job of suporting the protocol. Essentially does everything but video chat, which is "coming soon".

SomeGuyDude
January 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I like how changes in MSN = the evilness of microsoft, while seemingly arbitrary changes in Linux app's are fine.

I think it's because the "M$ is evil" meme is so ubiquitous on here that everyone assumes issues like this are because some evil MS developer went into the code and purposefully did this to screw over Linux users, whereas when an API muff-up happens in Linux everyone assumes it was a mistake.

It's almost a compliment to Microsoft. You don't make mistakes, you execute evil plans perfectly.

ww711
January 12th, 2009, 11:13 PM
MSN/Pidgin is available again now for me. Not sure about anyone else.

RiceMonster
January 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think it's because the "M$ is evil" meme is so ubiquitous on here that everyone assumes issues like this are because some evil MS developer went into the code and purposefully did this to screw over Linux users, whereas when an API muff-up happens in Linux everyone assumes it was a mistake.

It's almost a compliment to Microsoft. You don't make mistakes, you execute evil plans perfectly.

+1

Anyway, pidgin's not working for me right now either, so I'll just use emesene and live without aim for the time being.

Half-Left
January 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM

Deveopers do what they are told from the evil top, it's a know fact Microsoft tried to block third party msn apps because of so called 'security'

Microsoft have done alot to harm and stop competition in ways like this right from the 90's to the current day.