PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows / Partition Problem!!

Lukehluke
January 12th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Hello,

I can't seem to resize the partition as it has bad sectors I think or something (My guess).

I tried a Check Disk but didn't help.

So I can't make a partition for Ubuntu as on my primary partition is Windows XP.

I don't want to remove XP as there are some things that I need it for etc.

I can't use my Windows XP disk as I have moved over 100 miles away (to live with someone and the disk is missing somewhere in my parents house 100 miles away).

I really want to use Ubuntu but I don't want to have to run it off a disk as it makes it real slow.

Any iedas?

kranny
January 12th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Why dont you try the second option(Allocate the largest continous space on the hard disk) while the partition setuo comes.

Lukehluke
January 12th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Why dont you try the second option(Allocate the largest continous space on the hard disk) while the partition setuo comes.

Wouldn't that kill XP?

There is only one partition on the HD (Well to support an OS).

Are you able to install more than one OS on a single partition?

I also don't want to wipe any of my files.

Mark Phelps
January 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Your fears are well grounded. Unless you are able to create a second partition area (which will, in fact, include two partitions), a standard Ubuntu install is likely to overwrite XP.

A second option is to install INSIDE XP, using Wubi. For details on that, please see the Wubi subforum.

Lukehluke
January 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Wubi sounds good.

The size of it though its tiny compared to Ubuntu.

How is it different?

Do I loose features?

Can I always replace it with normal Ubuntu later?

kranny
January 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Wouldn't that kill XP?

There is only one partition on the HD (Well to support an OS).

Are you able to install more than one OS on a single partition?

I also don't want to wipe any of my files.

No you dont loose any data With that option.The thing here done is partitioner automatically resizes your single partition and installa copy into the new partition

Rhyader
January 12th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hi Luke.

You should really ask your parents to mail you that disk!

Windows Vista and I *think* XP and 2000 have a Disk Manager
(control panel/admin tools/computer management/storage/disk management)
That lets you expand or shrink (in your case shrink) the one partition making a new unused space. Then you could boot ubuntu from the install CD and let it create its partition(s) in the unused space.

But you are right to be worried - this is inherently dangerous!
Don't even try to change your partition table unless your existing windows file system is completely free of errors. And, preferably, backed up. I had no problem making free space by reducing my windows vista partition (in vista of course) but before doing this I ran a diskcheck, defrag, and diskcheck again.

But from what you said in your first post:
"I can't seem to resize the partition as it has bad sectors I think or something (My guess)."
If you do have errors you should do this before you install anything:
Schedule a windows disk check in intense mode (check both boxes) and reboot.
Wait for it to get finished (and wait, and wait, and wait...)
When it is done let Windows analyze your drive to see if it needs defrag.