PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I make Grub start-up wait for my input?

JEBB
January 12th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I have Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP/SP3 on my IBM R40 Thinkpad. When I start up the computer I get a list of choices for startup. As it is now, I have to act quickly to move the cursor down the list to select Windows if that is what I want to startup. Otherwise Ubuntu, which is at the top of the list, stars. Is there a way to make grub stop at the choice list and wait until I am ready to make a choice? Thanks.

taurus
January 12th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Yes. You need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
and put a # in front of the timeout 3 to comment it out. Then in a new line below it, add prompt.

Save it and reboot.

metalf8801
January 12th, 2009, 04:09 AM
another way to do it is to get StartUp-Manager using Add/Remove the using it System>Administration>StartUp-Manager

Then uncheck the box next to Use timeout in bootloader menu you can also just give your self more time by adding more time in the timeout in seconds box

I hope this helps
Dan

chex_m8
January 12th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Another option you have is when the grub menu comes up at boot time hit the down arrow once and the count will stop. now you have all the time in the world to make your decision. I've also discovered you can hit the arrow before the menu comes up and the count will be stopped when the menu is displayed.