PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Going INSANE, need help immediately!

richardcarter
January 12th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I'm so frustrated! I love linux, but I'm amazed at how the most basic actions can be highly complex and the tiniest little mistake destroys everything. I'm in the middle of a project and on a tight deadline and I need to access my KDE GUI on Kubuntu.

I was trying to use NFS to connect my laptop to my desktop. It worked fine, after a bunch of work. I restarted my computer just to see if it would still work with the folder I had mounted, and of course, it did not work anymore. UG.

So then I tried installing an automounter from the Ubuntu Community help wiki thing, located HERE: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo#Automounter , and now my system is damaged. When I log in to Kubuntu, 8.10, the following message appears:

"Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation."

This ALWAYS happens. Something goes wrong and I lose everything and have to take hours and hours to reconfigure my system and reinstall. I can't let that happen again this time. Could someone please help me?

So gratefully appreciative for any assistance anyone is able to offer!

EDIT: I tried using the failsafe startup option and I get the message: "Xsession: unable to launch failsafe X session --- x-terminal-emulator not found; aborting."

albinootje
January 12th, 2009, 02:38 AM
When I log in to Kubuntu, 8.10, the following message appears:

"Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation."

Did you use your /home in the NFS server settings ?
Then boot into "recovery mode".
Choose "drop to root shell prompt", and undo your changes.
If you're not so familiar with the command line, and you want a quick fix, try this :

apt-get remove autofs
nano /etc/fstab

And put a # sign in front of the line with NFS, if any.

ctl-x to exit and save the file.

After that, type :

reboot

richardcarter
January 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Worked perfectly! Thank you so so so so so much!

Now I just have to figure out how to network folders between my computers without destroying them.

Thanks again!