PDA

View Full Version : What's it like?

marktech101
January 12th, 2009, 01:16 AM
What's it like to be a Linux user? Yes, I know this is a general question. I'm wondering how being a Linux user differs from being a Windows user. I just started a new Wiki, www.howitfeels.net, and I'm looking for content. So, if you want your answer to be one of the first articles (on what it's like to be, in this case, a Linux user), then please reply. Thanks so much!

--marktech101

gn2
January 12th, 2009, 01:29 AM
In a word: liberating.

4E.Kipper
January 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM
enlightning, coming from a windows user since day 1 to now a ubuntu user (not dual-booting on this here desktop) but with vista still on the laptop.
when running both the difference is quite noticable.
very few "program not responding" issues. in fact, i think i;ve had only 1 on linux.

Also with WiNE i should, in theory, not need to use windows again as i have pretty basic needs.

urm......not sure what else to add to this. i'm sure someone can write a longer and a hell of a lot better response and put it on that wiki.

earthpigg
January 12th, 2009, 01:40 AM
What's it like to be a Linux user?

it's like 10,000 hippie computer nerds built an operating system and a whole bunch of great software and gave it to me for free... and are thanking me for using it.

:guitar:

ubuntu-freak
January 12th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Yeah, if you want some keywords:

liberating
enlightening
frustrating
satisfying
educating
rewarding
addictive
and fun!

2hot6ft2
January 12th, 2009, 01:54 AM
ubuntu-freak started it nicely. I would make a additions to the list

liberating
enlightening
frustrating
satisfying
educating
rewarding
addictive
and fun!

comforting
interesting
pleasant

Can't think of any more off hand.

etnlIcarus
January 12th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I must say, I don't think I've encountered a stranger wiki.

Anyway, not very good at the whole emotions thing but if you're looking for expressive analogies, I've always seen linux compared to other popular OSes as being analogous to, "having your own ...".

For instance: Windows/OSX 'feels' like using the school workshop, whereas Linux 'feels' like having your own workshop. Windows/OSX is like renting a car, whereas linux is like owning your own vehicle.

jimi_hendrix
January 12th, 2009, 02:43 AM
2hot stole my avatar!

but it feels like an extension of my artistic self

earthpigg
January 12th, 2009, 02:50 AM
i operate my computer, not the other way around.

albinootje
January 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM
it's like 10,000 hippie computer nerds built an operating system and a whole bunch of great software and gave it to me for free... and are thanking me for using it.

LOL, cool :)

visionaire
January 12th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I feel at home!

safe and sound :lolflag:

i dunno why, but it feels like that for me, when i have to use XP i feel the opposite

Mohamedzv2
January 12th, 2009, 03:14 AM
It feels like coming to America from Egypt. Frustrating at first, but altogether rewarding.

kavon89
January 12th, 2009, 03:32 AM
feels good man

Changturkey
January 12th, 2009, 03:54 AM
feels good man

+1.

cardinals_fan
January 12th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Precise, when I'm on my Slackware partition.

SomeGuyDude
January 12th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Windows felt like I was given a machine and had to work to figure out what was happening "under the hood". I could run diagnostics, I could fix things, but only through intermediaries. With Windows, you never REALLY know what's going on.

Linux has helped me understand my machine. The education I've gotten leaves me no longer afraid of error messages or when something stops working. I can make my computer work how I want, look how I want, and best of all it DOES work.

etnlIcarus
January 12th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Windows felt like I was given a machine and had to work to figure out what was happening "under the hood". I could run diagnostics, I could fix things, but only through intermediaries. With Windows, you never REALLY know what's going on.

Linux has helped me understand my machine. The education I've gotten leaves me no longer afraid of error messages or when something stops working. I can make my computer work how I want, look how I want, and best of all it DOES work.

Pretty much what I was getting at.

MaxIBoy
January 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM
It's like riding a bicycle-- it's a lot of fun as soon as you learn from your mistakes.

ajcham
January 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Yeah, if you want some keywords:

liberating
enlightening
frustrating
satisfying
educating
rewarding
addictive
and fun!

Whilst these are all good points, 'rewarding' is a big one for me. In particular these forums help towards achieving that:

Learning something new that I can use - great.
Using that to help someone else - better.
Learning something new specifically to help someone else - perhaps the most rewarding of all.

dragos240
January 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM
When i had windows i couldn't really get the feel of a computer i really wanted, so i heard of linux, but also heard that i was text based, so i tryed other things, then one day i spotted ubuntu via google search, i went to the site, and browsed it for an hour or so, and also found that you can keep your windows too! I really wanted to keep vista if anything went wrong, otherwise i probibly couldn't even connect to the internet. When i tryed it out, i felt releif, it felt more comforting, more soothing, things started to be much smoother, much more free than windows, and from that day on, i NEVER went back.

ubuntu-freak
January 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Installing and using a Linux operating system for the first time is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman. At first you're nervous and worry that at least one of you may not perform well, or you worry that there may be compatibility issues.

In the end, though, you feel quite satisfied. Everything comes together and you even learn a thing or two.

adamlau
January 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
A whole new world of problems to solve is what it is like.

FireflyCalvin
January 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Agreed. I like the idea I can fix linux if it's broke and with windows you have to depend on their patches and timeframe.