PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Superblock problem after GRUB reinstallation

melat0nin
January 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Hello all

I recently reinstalled XP on its own partition, thereby removed GRUB. I followed the instructions on the Ubuntu Community wiki to reinstall grub (here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows)

That seemed to restore the grub menu, but when I run ubuntu, I get a fsck error about a superblock and am able to log in but without my /home partition being mounted (so all my settings etc are missing of course).

What should I do? Can I manually run fsck? I tried that and it warned me it could result in severe damage, so obviously I said 'no'.

Any help much appreciated :)

caljohnsmith
January 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
How about from your Live CD, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

sudo fdisk -lu
And for whichever are your linux partitions do:

sudo fsck -yCM /dev/sdaX
And replace sdaX with each of the linux partitions. Please post the output of all the above commands, and let me know if you run into any problems. We can work from there if you want.

melat0nin
January 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
How about from your Live CD, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

sudo fdisk -lu

sudo fsck -yCM /dev/sdaX
And replace sdaX with each of the linux partitions. Please post the output of all the above commands, and let me know if you run into any problems. We can work from there if you want.

Thank you, I will try that now and post the results :)

melat0nin
January 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM

sudo fdisk -lu

sudo fsck -yCM /dev/sdaX

Here is the output of fsck (there appears to be nothing wrong!):

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck -yCM /dev/sda3
fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
/home has been mounted 29 times without being checked, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/home: 117920/12042240 files (1.8% non-contiguous), 16601255/48146805 blocks
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck -yCM /dev/sda5
e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
/dev/sda5: clean, 141507/915712 files, 1006338/3662812 blocks
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck -yCM /dev/sda6
fsck: fsck.swap: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.swap for /dev/sda6
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I have three linux partitions - system (/dev/sda5), /home (/dev/sda4) and swap (/dev/sda6). Here is the output of fdisk -lu, if it helps:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xfe96fe96

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 204796619 102398278+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 204796620 239962904 17583142+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda3 239962905 625137344 192587220 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 204796683 234099179 14651248+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 234099243 239962904 2931831 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I don't know if it means anything but the /dev/sda5 check was very quick (like it finished almost instantaneously). There's not a lot on there (it's just a vanilla Ubuntu system install) but I'd have thought it would take a little longer.

Any thoughts? Your help is much appreciated :)

caljohnsmith
January 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
It looks like fsck finished OK on both your Linux partitions, so that's a good sign. How about also posting:

cat /etc/fstab
So when you log in now, does Ubuntu still try to do an fsck on your home partition? Does the home partition still fail to mount? Is sda3 your home partition?

melat0nin
January 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
It looks like fsck finished OK on both your Linux partitions, so that's a good sign. How about also posting:

cat /etc/fstab
So when you log in now, does Ubuntu still try to do an fsck on your home partition? Does the home partition still fail to mount? Is sda3 your home partition?

I've actually fixed it :)

I looked at the error that came up and it was referring to /dev/sda4, which wasn't listed in the fdisk partition list.

I think when I reinstalled XP, Ubuntu no longer thought of /home as sda4 and instead changed to sda3, so all that I had to do was change the entry in /etc/fstab to read sda3 instead of sda4.

Quite a lot easier than I had expected.. can't believe I was considering a reinstall for what was one incorrect character!!

Anyway thanks for your help!! :)

caljohnsmith
January 18th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Glad to hear you figured out what the problem was. You might want to consider using UUIDs or partition labels in your fstab instead of device names, because that will prevent exactly the type of problem you experienced, namely having the partition numbers change. In other words, if you do:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
That will show the UUIDs for all your partitions, and then in your fstab, in place of /dev/sda3 you could just use "UUID=......" instead. Or partition labels are even better I think, for instance you could do:

sudo tune2fs -L "Home" /dev/sda3
And then in your fstab, in place of /dev/sda3 you could use "LABEL=Home" instead. That's a lot more meaningful and readable I think, but it is just a suggestion. At least with UUIDs or partition labels you don't have to worry about when your partition numbers change. Anyway, cheers and have fun with your Ubuntu install. :)

melat0nin
January 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear you figured out what the problem was. You might want to consider using UUIDs or partition labels in your fstab instead of device names, because that will prevent exactly the type of problem you experienced, namely having the partition numbers change. In other words, if you do:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
That will show the UUIDs for all your partitions, and then in your fstab, in place of /dev/sda3 you could just use "UUID=......" instead. Or partition labels are even better I think, for instance you could do:

sudo tune2fs -L "Home" /dev/sda3
And then in your fstab, in place of /dev/sda3 you could use "LABEL=Home" instead. That's a lot more meaningful and readable I think, but it is just a suggestion. At least with UUIDs or partition labels you don't have to worry about when your partition numbers change. Anyway, cheers and have fun with your Ubuntu install. :)

Thankyou, I've gone the UUID route and it seems to work well :)