PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Writing Mouse data to a file

maverick_
January 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I was wondering if its possible to read/print the data sent by USB MOUSE (dx, dy , Z-wheel & button status) directly to file instead of converting it into cursor movements or clicks for that matter.

Has anyone ever done such a thing ? How does one find out which driver code is being used for the mouse connected, there seems to be many mouse related files floating around.

Please reply....

drewbenn
January 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Does 'xev' fit your needs? (You _might_ need to install 'x11-utils' to get it). If you want to store what you do into a file, run 'typescript' before running 'xev'.

Lee_Machine
January 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
So your thinking the implications would be to write a script to tell the computer click here and there at this time?

The program you would use is called xev just go to terminal and type xev.

It tells you what button is being pressed, when, where(in pixels), and the hex code for that button. It similar to a tool you use when setting up a TV remote with lirc.

hope this helps.

maverick_
January 12th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Thanks alot guys... drewbenn & lee_machine, xev does help but this is not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking on changing the mouse driver functionality to dump the raw mouse data into a logfile as & when it arrives rather than just reporting to cursor application.

Any Ideas ?

jdb
January 12th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I was wondering if its possible to read/print the data sent by USB MOUSE (dx, dy , Z-wheel & button status) directly to file instead of converting it into cursor movements or clicks for that matter.

Has anyone ever done such a thing ? How does one find out which driver code is being used for the mouse connected, there seems to be many mouse related files floating around.

Please reply....

sudo cat /dev/input/mice > mice.bin

ctl-c when you're done

jdb