PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.04 Receives Ext4 Support (Are you going to use it?)

Kosimo
January 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Here we go. Ext4 (even if at the moment not by default) It's going to be available during Jaunty installation. Would you use it?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_ext4&num=1

diablo75
January 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
What's so great about ext4? (Honest question)

Eclipse.
January 11th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Yeap, it got added to the daily builds the other day.

You should probally add other options like xfs, resiers ect.

I will keep using ZFS through FUSE, the benchmarks over ext3 do look good though.

EDIT: To answer the question above it gives quicker write/read acess to your files and increases the max partition size, not that that really matters unless your a big organisation with alot of data.

Kosimo
January 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Yeap, it got added to the daily builds the other day.

You should probally add other options like xfs, resiers ect.

I will keep using ZFS through FUSE, the benchmarks over ext3 do look good though.

EDIT: To answer the question above it gives quicker write/read acess to your files and increases the max partition size, not that that really matters unless your a big organisation with alot of data.

Yes you're right. But I was about to ask between the two Ext.x system.
By the way, can you make a ZFS partition during intrepid installation?

MikeTheC
January 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I always keep my data backed up elsewhere, so I'll try out ext4. I just hope it's as solid and production-worth as Canonical thinks it is.

Kosimo
January 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I always keep my data backed up elsewhere, so I'll try out ext4. I just hope it's as solid and production-worth as Canonical thinks it is.

If linus torvalds said that is stable, and added official support in 2.6.28.... I'm 100% sure it is..

jrusso2
January 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I use JFS. I don't like anything from EXT series of file systems and they should get rid of those old file systems they have always been the bain of Linux.

They need a clean start with a new file system.

SunnyRabbiera
January 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I use JFS. I don't like anything from EXT series of file systems and they should get rid of those old file systems they have always been the bain of Linux.

I have yet to encounter any major issues with ext3, and compared to something like NTFS or FAT its a far cleaner system.
I will give EXT4 a shot with Jaunty (I definately intend on giving Jaunty a full test drive as already it seems to be an improvement over Ibex)
Not saying anything bad about JFS, though its not so great when you want to read JFS from windows as to my knowledge there is no way to read JFS from windows (I suspect this is why ext is default as windows can read it with a little help.)

Slug71
January 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM
If linus torvalds said that is stable, and added official support in 2.6.28.... I'm 100% sure it is..

Using Jaunty already and Ext4 is rock solid so far. Boots quicker for me too.

Slug71
January 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Btrfs will be here soon. :p

spoons
January 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I'll use it, the performance is better according to phoronix...

EIDT: When compared to EXT3.

AlexDudko
January 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I've already used ext4 in Fedora and didn't notice any difference with ext3.
Surely I'll give it a second try.

MaxIBoy
January 11th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm probably going to use ReiserFS.

Vince4Amy
January 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I don't use Ubuntu but when the other distros get ext4 I'm still going to keep with JFS as it works for me.

y@w
January 11th, 2009, 11:27 PM
You're probably not going to notice a difference in the filesystems unless you are managing systems under serious load. Just like any other industry, different tools for different jobs... Some filesystems do better with tons of small files and some do better with larger files. The ext family isn't the greatest on performance but tends to be a good all-around filesystem which makes it great as a default choice. To answer the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to use ext4. It's spent years in dev. and testing.

handy
January 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I use JFS, though from a recent set of tests I saw posted in this forum, I really do think that ReiserFS will make a noticeable difference in speed.

So the next set up I do will be on ReiserFS, then I'll know. :-)

EdThaSlayer
January 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I will format my hard drive immediately. I don't want to get in the mindset that old is strong and new is weak.

Bachstelze
January 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'll stick with Reiser and XFS. ^^

Circus-Killer
January 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM
for a guy like me, it probably makes little to no difference on what file system i use. as long as it works its fine by me.
having said that, i'll give it a shot.

halovivek
January 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Could you please tell me what is the big difference between ext3 and ext4?

bufsabre666
January 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Could you please tell me what is the big difference between ext3 and ext4?

the main reason for me switching is the FSCK

on ext3 is scans every block, in ext4 it only scans used blocks, so thats ganna cut down significantly in fsck time

HunterThomson
January 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Ya, There are better file-systems the the EXT's. But, I am a home user that tries a lot of new stuff. So, I stick with it because I know it works well in general and I have no problem finding info on it.

When I set up my RAID I will use XFS.

jomiolto
January 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Missing option: combination of both of them (and others).

I currently use ext3 for most of my root file systems (I have several distros installed) and XFS for my data. With Jaunty I'm probably going to use ext4 for the root file system.

ext3 and ext4 are really quite antiquated in design (fixed number of inodes for example) and I'm glad to be rid of them, once btrfs and possibly tux3 become stable. I just hope they'll be fast :)

MisterFlibble84
January 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Xfs

Yownanymous
January 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Nowadays I personally use Ubuntu on FAT32, on a USB stick, shock-horror. And it does go painfully slowly at times...

adamlau
January 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'll use Ext4 like I use Ext3 now: As /boot with XFS everywhere else :) .

billgoldberg
January 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Actually I'm going to use ext2 on the only Ubuntu machine I have in the house, when installing 9.04.

It seems non-journaling filesystems are better for SSD drives due to their finite write cycles.

On Arch I'll stick with ReiserFS thanks.