PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing newer versions from 5.04

ericferguson
January 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM
what is the best way to proceed to a newer version direct from 5.04? I installed 5.04 and am very happy with it and want to continue using Ubuntu. I tried booting froma CD to 8.10 but the CD was not recognized. what is the best way to upgrade?

avtolle
January 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM
You have 5.04 on the machine? Anyway, there would not be, IMHO, any way to do a network upgrade from 5.04 at this point. So...

On to the 8.10 issues. First, how much RAM is on the computer? To use the Live 8.10 CD, the system needs a minimum of 384 mb RAM (yes, Ubuntu will run on 256 mb, but to use the graphical installer there is a minimum of 384 mb required). Presuming sufficient RAM, did you check the downloaded iso for defects using md5sum? Did you burn the iso to a CD-R at a slow speed (4x is my preferred speed) as an image?

kranny
January 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Or else Try the Alternate Installer.Get it from here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

ericferguson
January 11th, 2009, 08:28 PM
thanks, i did not check it on md5sum, but i did write it at 1x speed (which is the slowest?).

i downloaded from ubuntu.com

i am not sure about the RAM and will check. i was surprised that i was not able to get to even the boot from CD prompt when starting the computer.

ericferguson
January 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
thank you for your help. i used the cd writer on 5.04 initially. but just downloaded 8.04 on MS Vista and burned it with Power2go. that seems to have done the trick. thanks again!

It turned out that Power2Go writes too quickly and so I successfully burned a copy with Nero and wrote at the slowest speed.

Thanks for your help!