PDA

View Full Version : No sound via HDMI or S/PDIF (Radeon HD 3450, P45 mobo)

gungfujoe
January 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm quite new to Linux, so I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to get any sound from this system at all. Initially, I tried getting audio via the Asus EAH3450 video card's HDMI output. When I couldn't seem to get that working (tried disabling the MoBo's onboard audio in BIOS, unmuted in alsamixer...), I decided to fall back on the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L's S/PDIF output

I made sure everything except the microphones were unmuted in alsamixer, and I made sure Alsa:SPDIF was the audio source defined in the MythTV settings via the frontend. I tried testing sound by playing an Apple movie trailer (my only option right now because I also can't seem to "watch TV" with the tuner, but that's for a separate thread). No sound.

Obviously, I'd strongly prefer audio via HDMI, but S/PDIF would be an acceptable workaround. Any help getting either of these working would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Mythbuntu 8.10 with the aforementioned Intel-based motherboard and ATI/AMD video card.

bimbot
January 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
I have the same vid card chip; different manufacturer. If I get it working, I'll definitely post back in here.

So far, I've only done the basics: unmute in alsamixer, update alsa to 1.0.19....still, no sound.....will update as I go along.

zim2dive
February 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I have the same vid card chip; different manufacturer. If I get it working, I'll definitely post back in here.

So far, I've only done the basics: unmute in alsamixer, update alsa to 1.0.19....still, no sound.....will update as I go along.

I just got a 3450 hoping to work around a bug in the nvidia 8200 IGP on my mobo.

I have sound working over the 3450 HDMI for everything EXCEPT Flash (go figure).

What does aplay -l tell you? My .asoundrc is
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

also, not sure if needed, but debugging lots of sound issues with my 8200, I started to always run alsaconf, then alsamixer.

gungfujoe
February 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
aplay -l lists my HDMI output:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

However, while I get sound fine via S/PDIF, I get nothing over HDMI. I'd like to get rid of the extra audio cable, but all said and done, this is the least of my problems with Linux. Even if I solve this problems, the other problems that keep the OS from being usable persist. :(

konadad
February 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM
In the audio setup in the Frontend, try hand typing the following into the Audio Output Device field:

ALSA:hwplug:1,3

Based on your aplay -l output this stands a chance of driving the audio through your HDMI.

gungfujoe
February 20th, 2009, 12:21 AM
In the audio setup in the Frontend, try hand typing the following into the Audio Output Device field:

ALSA:hwplug:1,3
No such luck. Not only does it not send audio through HDMI, but it continues to send audio through S/PDIF. I'd have expected it to at least turn the audio off entirely.

allene222
February 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I put this together for digital audio via spdif. I have gotten a number of inputs on the hdmi part and think it might help you.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto

Please let me know if you find parts either work or don't so I can improve it for the next person.

Allen