PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob Question

stirling72
January 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
First let me say, Sorry for the noob question.

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 desktop, and it's my first time on a Linux system. I need to download mySql, but when I go to the download page, there are tuns of Linux options, and each one of those has three to four option under it. How do I find out which version of MySql to use?

Again, sorry for the noob question.

gronater
January 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Typ in terminal:

aptitude search mysql
Then search the one who you want to download. Typ then:

sudo apt-get install (what you want to download)
That must help you.

mick222
January 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
You could also look in Synaptic
system->administration-> synaptic package manager or under add remove programs in applications menu

Mazin
January 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, the first route in Ubuntu is to find what you are looking for in Synaptic or another package manager. The Ubuntu repositories have all common software in a centralized location that your system can manage easily and efficiently. It's one of the biggest differences between Ubuntu and Windows. If this has helped you, please mark this thread as [SOLVED] using the Thread Tools on this page.

frostboy
January 23rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
hello. im totaly noob whit ubuntu.
1st: I would like to know how to have the permission to modify menu.lst in the /boot/grub folder.(I have to add some stuff to make my touchpad work properly)
2rd: I would like to know were i can find good source for common stuff like accessibility manipulation, how to handle basic error and the basic think to know if I dont want to search 3 hour for every little issue I get.
thanks.