PDA

View Full Version : Things that bug me..

kevdog
January 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
People requesting help using abbreviations for things such as
Plz
gr8

Makes me less likely to offer support.

Dr Small
January 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I know. Generally when I read words like that in their help request, I generally close the tab. No sense in me wasting my time trying to help someone who can't help themselves. Besides, I don't want to decipher all of their posts that way. I just move on.

Skripka
January 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I know. Generally when I read words like that in their help request, I generally close the tab. No sense in me wasting my time trying to help someone who can't help themselves. Besides, I don't want to decipher all of their posts that way. I just move on.

A few things really get on my nerves, in descending order:

-Posts with no puntuation
-Posts with no capitalization
-Posts which are written in SMS texting-ese

Usually though-I figure if the OP could not be bothered to make their help request readable-it isn't that important.

sydbat
January 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
What bothers me other than punctuation is when people write big long sentences that never end then you have to figure out where each thought ends and begins it's tends to make my brain hurt do you know what I mean? :lolflag:

ajcham
January 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
How about questions that assume psychic abilities in the reader:

I'm trying to install a program but it doesn't work. What's wrong?

jimi_hendrix
January 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
i am fine as long as things are spelt non SMS-texty

sydbat
January 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Also - people who do not read posts/threads and still offer advice...which is always off topic...

Which leads to - thread necromancy..."dude, you do realize this thread is from 2005..."

Which has a quantum connection to - posting new threads with links to massively outdated articles...

Which is seemingly directly related to - multiple threads on the same subject...even though there is a 3 page discussion on a topic, at the top of the Cafe list, someone (or 2 or 3 or 77) end up posting the exact same link to same article in their own threads...

Which leads back to - people who do not read posts/threads...

ithanium
January 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
everybody hates 1337 speak :|

partsdale
January 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
spelt

:)

abn91c
January 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
At least in the USA that's the Sad status of teaching in our schools, you will find most kids think that every other work ends in the letter Z. The teachers are paid poorly and are afraid of getting sued if they don't pass little Johnny or little Debbie, especially if they are an athlete. There was a survey that came out about 2 years ago that stated 4 out of 10 HS grads can't read their diploma. I work in health care and many teens that come to my clinic when I put them on a digital scale to weight them can't read the display, or know that 60 inches tall is the same as 5 foot tall.

GCG199
January 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
What bothers me other than punctuation is when people write big long sentences that never end then you have to figure out where each thought ends and begins it's tends to make my brain hurt do you know what I mean? :lolflag:

Yes, the "one big paragraph blob" writing style is a major pain to read.

They need to learn to double-tap the enter/return key to break it up — it is much easier to follow that way.

But in general, it seems that most people posting on web forums are in too much of a hurry.

And even worse, they won't bother to go back and read over what they wrote and edit it.

ajcham
January 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Another one that bugs me is people asking a question and never returning to see if it has been answered.

I auto-subscribe to every thread I post in, and have accumulated a large number of subscriptions to which the OP has never responded.

koenn
January 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Yes, the "one big paragraph blob" writing style is a major pain to read.

Yeah, they're awful.

I usually skip them, but once i came across one that I thought was still reasonably OK, so I tried to reply whit a valid sollution, but in the same 'my keyboard is broken i cant use any of the punctuation marks' style, to make a point.

I got a thanks and the thread was marked solved.
hm.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024677

wolfen69
January 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Things that bug me..

threads like this.

kevdog
January 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Things that bug me..

threads like this.

I'd figure we would get around to someone witty mentioning something like this....So clever

KiwiNZ
January 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Wetas

Yikes , *shiver* why do they even exist ?

They give me the willies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta

And they are organised , trust me

steveneddy
January 12th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I hates it when like peoples spellin ain't gooder n uz reel baad.

gletob
January 12th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Wetas

Yikes , *shiver* why do they even exist ?

They give me the willies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta

And they are organised , trust me

Good Lord

People that think their sense of humor is always the funniest annoys me.

yabbadabbadont
January 12th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I agree with the original poster.

Unfortunately, it would be a banning offense to reply, "I'm sorry, I don't speak stupid. Could you repeat that in English please?"

:twisted:

mobilediesel
January 12th, 2009, 04:04 AM
People requesting help using abbreviations for things such as
Plz
gr8

Makes me less likely to offer support.

Really. The word "please" does not have an abbreviation. Well at least civilized people don't abbreviate it. And why the hell is "abbreviation" such a long word?

-okay I'm done. :)

-grubby
January 12th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Good Lord

People that think their sense of humor is always the funniest annoys me.

People that assume things

Destroying the English language should be illegal.

Fireblazer
January 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I really hate when people get sidetracked. Like my friend and I can be talking about the weather and all of a sudden, he's off on cars. Of course, I can't blame him, he's got a 76' Dodge Charger with flames down the sides. His car kinda intimidates me, 'cause I drive a F-150. Don't get me wrong it's a good machine, it's just not a Charger. Speaking of good machines those Dell XPSs are some pretty good machines. I've heard they're heavy though so you might not to want to lug one around. But I guess if you worked out it wouldn't be too big a problem. On the topic of working out, the other day I tried one of those voice-controlled treadmills. It was the most annoying thing I've ever heard. Anyway, what was I talking about, well if I remember I'll reply.

NOTE: This was all made up

yabbadabbadont
January 12th, 2009, 04:39 AM
If there is one thing in this world that I really can't tolerate, it is intolerance.

;)

zmjjmz
January 12th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Certain insects, and unnecessary bugs or limitations of proprietary software.

Dr Small
January 12th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I agree with the original poster.

Unfortunately, it would be a banning offense to reply, "I'm sorry, I don't speak stupid. Could you repeat that in English please?"

:twisted:
Perhaps we could get a grant from the Forum Council to make it legal :D

ubuntu-freak
January 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Personally, if I can understand their post, I don't give a damn how they smell.

kyalee
January 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM

I've been guilty of that, I think. Since being on more tech-oriented boards, I've tried to alter my writing style so that it's more straightforward and less rambling. But it's hard since I'm in the habit of just going on and on.

Ah the risks of being a tech nerd with a background in psychology and philosophy. ;)

kevdog
January 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'm not exactly sure if English should be a proper requirement for this board. I'm very patient with people with whom it is obvious that English is not their native language. Its very easy to see in many cases they are making an effort to convey their questions appropriately. I just can't stand the SMS talk. If you are going to spend the time to ask a question, at least make an attempt to ask it in an intelligent manner if you want an intelligent response.

Eisenwinter
January 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
When people use "w/" instead of the word "with".

Annoys the hell out of me.

mkendall
January 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
When people use "w/" instead of the word "with".

Annoys the hell out of me.

That doesn't bother me at all; that's been around since long before the internet and chat rooms. What bothers me, in addition to others already mentioned, is improper use of ellipses (...). It's three, and only three, periods, not however many periods are created by holding down the period key.

Another thing that truly bothers me is using "a.k.a." to me "i.e." or "e.g."

a.k.a. - Also known as.
i.e. - Id est; "that is"
e.g. - Exempli gratia; "for example"

They mean completely different things and are not interchangable, aka "You're a moron."

SomeGuyDude
January 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
That doesn't bother me at all; that's been around since long before the internet and chat rooms. What bothers me, in addition to others already mentioned, is improper use of ellipses (...). It's three, and only three, periods, not however many periods are created by holding down the period key.

Another thing that truly bothers me is using "a.k.a." to me "i.e." or "e.g."

a.k.a. - Also known as.
i.e. - Id est; "that is"
e.g. - Exempli gratia; "for example"

They mean completely different things and are not interchangable, aka "You're a moron."

Man, I could make a giant list of stuff like that...

"for all intense purposes"
"should of"
"all the sudden"

People apparently are aware of the sequence of noises that comprise each phrase, but have no idea what the actual words are.