PDA

View Full Version : AdBlock for WebKit/Android

diebels
January 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Adblock plus has been ported to webkit: http://vogue-android.blogspot.com/2009/01/adblock-for-webkitandroid.html

Any clever people that can get it into epiphany-webkit?

ithanium
January 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
great news, adblock is one musthave nowadays

nortexoid
October 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm curious about this too. The latest Epiphany is actually half-decent now.

Skripka
October 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Guys, there are more ways, and better ways of nuking ads than than AdBlock. Just because a given browser doesn't have AdBlock doesn't mean you screwed into having to see ads eveywhere...

xuCGC002
October 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Sweet, this is great!

nortexoid
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Guys, there are more ways, and better ways of nuking ads than than AdBlock. Just because a given browser doesn't have AdBlock doesn't mean you screwed into having to see ads eveywhere...

Would you care to share a way that is better than simply subscribing to a maintained list? If there are methods of blocking ads better than adblock then I'd like to know.

NCLI
October 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Adblock blocks flash ads, text ads, ads embedded in games, ads embedded in videos, etc, and does all this without me doing anything to update it after installation.

Please point me to a better adblocker ;)

Skripka
October 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Would you care to share a way that is better than simply subscribing to a maintained list? If there are methods of blocking ads better than adblock then I'd like to know.

99% of ALL ads on the internet come in standardized banner sizes, and a similarly high number have other similarities in meta data, address of course, etc.

A list of URLs to block is a brute force method of blocking ads.

And as you are quick to point out, ad servers change names all the time-and you have to keep it updated (In the case of AdBlock you have to "subscribe" with another extension that further bloats your browser). Why not just block ads by their (near universal) sizes? Or meta data? Or if all else fails, URL content?

Get thee to Privoxy. As amazing as it may sound, false positives are few and far between, and ads that sneak thru are fewer.

privoxy.org

It is an ad sniffing proxy server. Just about any old web browser can listen in to a proxy server.

CJ Master
October 20th, 2009, 01:11 AM
99% of ALL ads on the internet come in standardized banner sizes, and a similarly high number have other similarities in meta data, address of course, etc.

A list of URLs to block is a brute force method of blocking ads.

And as you are quick to point out, ad servers change names all the time-and you have to keep it updated (In the case of AdBlock you have to "subscribe" with another extension that further bloats your browser). Why not just block ads by their (near universal) sizes? Or meta data? Or if all else fails, URL content?

Get thee to Privoxy. As amazing as it may sound, false positives are few and far between, and ads that sneak thru are fewer.

privoxy.org

It is an ad sniffing proxy server. Just about any old web browser can listen in to a proxy server.

I've had the opposite experience, unfortuantly. Lots of false positives and leaking adds getting through, but alas chrome has no extensions.

Skripka
October 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I've had the opposite experience, unfortuantly. Lots of false positives and leaking adds getting through, but alas chrome has no extensions.

Wierd. The only false positives I get are images in NewEgg promos I get in my GMail.

nortexoid
November 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah but who wants to go through a proxy even when it's possible?

Skripka
November 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah but who wants to go through a proxy even when it's possible?

Those who don't want to have their hands tied to just Firefox, due to wanting an adblocker?

Sporkman
January 10th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Ads pay for much of the free content you all enjoy.

If adblocking ever goes mainstream, that will impact you hippies' web experience to put it mildly.

FYI. Have a nice day. :)

Psumi
January 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM
You could just edit your hosts file: /etc/hosts

It's compatible with midori, which is in turn webkit.

jrtayloriv
March 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Ads pay for much of the free content you all enjoy.

If adblocking ever goes mainstream, that will impact you hippies' web experience to put it mildly.

FYI. Have a nice day. :)

Ads do not "pay" for most of the quality content that is on the internet. They slow down its delivery by sucking away bandwidth to transmit ad banners and stupid little flash animations, and by turning finding useful information into a Where's Waldo game where quality sites are Waldo, hidden amongst millions of ad-spam junk site Waldo lookalikes.

The vast majority of the high-quality content that I read on the internet isn't ad-supported. The best news I find is personally/donation-supported. The best computer programming information I find on the internet isn't ad supported. This is the same in every other subject area I've thus-far delved into -- cellular biology videos, Brazilian history, artwork, etc. etc. etc.

Why would I want ad-supported news, history, etc.? I already know how inaccurate, filtered, and otherwise corrupted it is from seeing the self-serving trash they put on television. That's why I come to the Internet to get information -- i.e. because there are a large number of people on the Internet who value the open sharing of knowledge, not for profit or personal gain, but because they believe that it is the right thing to do. You can't find that on your ad-supported television stream....

If I want lightweight content filled with noisy ads, then I'll go and buy a TV, sign up for cable, and watch the History channel. If I want real information, written by experts, then I pick up a book, or go to the internet. Unfortunately, advertisers are doing their damnedest to turn the Internet into television, and they've convinced unwitting individuals like yourself that it's not only not a bad thing, but rather a very good thing (it's corporate ad banner philanthropy that makes it all possible ... hippy).

I think my browsing experience would be better if all of the ad money disappeared. No more ad-banners/flash/videos and other garbage sucking away bandwidth. Less junk to filter through, because I don't get swamped with the millions of sites that have fluff content created for nothing other than creating a skeleton to hang their ad banners from. I would only find content that was created because someone cares enough about something that they felt it was important to share the information -- and share information about something they actually took time to learn deeply rather than just rushing through so they could pump out another piece of cheap content to boost their SEO-juice.

Us "hippies" (who happen to have developed most of the hardware and software that the Internet runs on) would certainly have our browsing experience "impacted" (as you said) if ad-spam went away, but I don't think it would be to our detriment. I think the Internet would become a much more useful information resource for everyone.

So I'm going to continue to do everything in my power to filter out every single unwanted ad that gets forced onto my network, and I'm going to explain to other people how to do the same. Until the ad money disappears, I'm going to do the next best thing, and make the ads disappear. The nice thing about this is that it will be the primary causative factor for the withering death of the internet ad-money machine, due to lack of audience + extremely high costs per impression. Sorry ad-pimps, but I don't want your services anymore, and I'm going to try to help other people realize that they don't need you either.

--jrtayloriv (http://www.jrtayloriv.net/articles/internet-ad-pimps-not-included/)

Pogeymanz
March 16th, 2011, 10:15 PM

For me, I subscribe to EasyPrivacy list which blocks ads and trackers and the list is updated.

It's more flexible than a hosts file.

Sporkman
March 17th, 2011, 01:01 AM
The vast majority of the high-quality content that I read on the internet isn't ad-supported. The best news I find is personally/donation-supported. The best computer programming information I find on the internet isn't ad supported. This is the same in every other subject area I've thus-far delved into -- cellular biology videos, Brazilian history, artwork, etc. etc. etc.

Then why do you need adblock?

The majority of content that I enjoy online is ad supported: Newswire stories served up by yahoo & other aggregators, slashdot.org, lifehacker, Scientific American & other science websites, Phoronix, Distrowatch, etc. The few sites that I use that are not ad supported are this one, Wikipedia, and the occasional reference site.

I suspect many other viewers of this thread are in the same boat as me. In their case, it is against their own best interests to encourage freeloading.