PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MSI WIND WebCam to work

manuleka
January 11th, 2009, 07:02 AM
i've installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my MSI Wind U100 and i'm wondering if anyone can direct on how to or where to get additional information on how to make my WebCam working and use it...

thanks for any help in advance

hashimoto
January 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM
How about these two links:
http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_Heron
http://ambospeak.blogspot.com/2008/12/getting-msi-wind-webcam-to-work-under.html

manuleka
January 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
thanks - wiki page has installation guide for 8.10 that worked for me - cheers :)

vajohn1308
March 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
noob here so please bear with me...

The Bison (acer) webcam is the one that i have in my Wind U100. I found that out by doing the lsusb command from a terminal window. I am having a bit of a problem with one step in the configuration that's in the wiki file.

I downloaded the file from LinuxTV.org to my desktop. The one i downloaded was
uvcvideo-56cf0f1772f7.tar.gz

I did the first step and got the install subversion build part installed fine.

but the second step...
$ tar -xvzf <source.tar.gz file downloaded from LinuxTV.org>
I am at a loss as to EXACTLY what to enter to get the file to decompress/extract it. I have tried a few combinations and none worked. Once i get past this step i should be fine.

If anyone can post exactly what to type to get that to work i would really really appreciate it. After that, the make and make install are self explanatory.

Thanks for any that take the time to help a pretty much total noob.

vajohn1308

vajohn1308
March 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
OK i tried something and got it to work
Instead of doing the -xvzf i simply right clicked the file and then selected extract here and it took a WHILE to extract but it finally did. Then i followed the rest of the steps in the wiki and it works in cheese.

However, the quality of the webcam is the same as in windows. Still pics are fine. Video on it blurs/drags.

FYI i added a one GB DIMM so i have 2GB in my Wind U100 now so it's not a lack of memory problem. My guess its that MSI changed the original webcam to a cheaper one( same thing that they did with the touchpad, which was originally a synaptic one.) I might try a Logitech Notebook Pro webcam later on to see if that works any better. But for now at LEAST i got the built in webcam working.

vajohn1308

tofiluk
April 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
hi there. how will i know from lsusb what webcam is installed in my msi wind?