PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Ignores ISO

thenocturnalhoodie
January 11th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hey everyone,
So I just inherited an old laptop of my cousin's. It's a refurbished Dell XPS M140. From what google tells me, it's got:

Intel Pentium M 770 / 1.73 GHz processor
533 MHz Data Bus
Mobile Intel 915GM Express Chipset
L2 cache
2 MB Cache size
512 MB of RAM
DDR2 SDRAM - 400 MHz and over
PC2-3200
SO DIMM 200-pin
80 GB - 5400 rpm HD
Windows XP Installed

That's what came up under the google search, at least. There's no documentation of the parts on the laptop itslef, and I have no manual, so it may be slightly off if it was refurbished and given new parts.

Anyways,
I tried booting off the Ubuntu 8.04 LiveCD. I went to the boot menu, and selected to boot from CD/DVD/RW Drive. It gave a little loading screen for a sec, but then went straight to the Windows XP Loading and Log-On screen.

I want to make it completely linux, as I have no use for the Windows XP. So i'm not going to be mucking about with partitioning. All I'm wondering is why it is not recognizing my LiveCD.

Any ideas/help/tips?

taurus
January 11th, 2009, 12:15 AM
How did you burn the CD? Did you burn the ISO file as an image file or as a data file?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto?highlight=(burn)|(iso)

oilchangeguy
January 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
also the 512mb of ram your stats list, may be the max. your computer could have less. it takes 384mb to even run the live cd.

thenocturnalhoodie
January 11th, 2009, 12:34 AM
How did you burn the CD? Did you burn the ISO file as an image file or as a data file?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto?highlight=(burn)|(iso)

I don't really remember how I burnt it. I think it was an image file. However, I am not concerned that it's a problem with the CD. I have already used this same CD to load Ubuntu on the computer that I am currently using and typing on.

thenocturnalhoodie
January 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM
also the 512mb of ram your stats list, may be the max. your computer could have less. it takes 384mb to even run the live cd.

I think it said that the standard was 512mb, so I'm thinking it's more likely that I have it. Because it also listed that the max ram was 2 GB, so I don't think that's the reason, either.

taurus
January 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
If the CD works (you would see a bunch of files and directories on it if you view it in windows), then it means the problem is with the BIOS.

thenocturnalhoodie
January 11th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Is it possible that I need the password to my Cousins account on the windows? If I try to start it up in windows, it gives me the login. And of course, as fate would have it, I don't know her password. Would I need that to install Ubuntu?

oilchangeguy
January 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Is it possible that I need the password to my Cousins account on the windows? If I try to start it up in windows, it gives me the login. And of course, as fate would have it, I don't know her password. Would I need that to install Ubuntu?

no