PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] possible to "move" an XP installation?

hatten
January 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hey, i dual boot ubuntu and XP and i plan getting rid off XP, my brother that sits 10 metres away from me uses an illegal XP and i wonder if i can "move" my legal XP to his computer. I won't be installing any linux on his cause the only thing he does is play games.

Is there some serial code i can copy? or some random folder or anything?

hatten
January 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM
bump. If it ain't possible just say no so i can screw my XP

kranny
January 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Why dont you just validate his windows version ..Many cracks are available on the net

Mark Phelps
January 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Since you asked about the "legality" of a move, the answer depends on the type of XP license.

If you bought a retail version, you can legally move it to his machine -- by removing it from yours and installing it on his. You should be able to activate the copy on his machine using your product ID.

If you bought an OEM version, the answer is NO. An OEM license applies to the machine, not to the owner of the license. It can not legally be moved between machines. When you install it on his box, most likely, it will refuse to activate -- because it's already been activated on your box.

As to what you can do "illegally" with cracked versions and the like, you're on your own there.