PDA

View Full Version : W0000t! Linux finally gets some attention-hey guys!! We're getting sued!!!

Skripka
January 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Well, at least Novell is specifically anyway.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090109-microsoft-symantec-more-sued-over-os-permissions-system.html

Is it just me, or has everyone gotten patent infringement notices in their stocking this season? Ho Ho Ho!!

MikeTheC
January 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Lovely! So, what should we call the risky venture we know as software patents?

Oh wait, I know!!!

We'll call it the Princess Dianna Minefield! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Namtabmai
January 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Oh no the end is nigh!

A company is suing based on it's patent for what basically comes down to access control lists for file and applications that they filed in 1994.

Just how will Linux created several years earlier be able to show prior art?!

Come on, I realise that everyone/company has a right to have their case heard and processed in court, but these guys are just fishing.

It's like the Microsoft/Novell thing but at least they're being open about the patents they thing are being infringed.

BGFG
January 10th, 2009, 11:28 PM
These things are stupid. An idea isn't worth much if you can't actualize it.
I'm going to file some holographic and A.I patents.
Hopefully some large firm can accomplish my dream then i can scalp them.

Tamlynmac
January 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Barely a week later, however, Judge John Ward recused himself from presiding over the suit and cited Symantec Corp. in his signed order of recusal, presumably because he may own stock in the company.

"Presumably" Seems to me either he does or doesn't. He may also not wish to become quagmired in this charade. Keep in mind that it's IPAT's responsibility to prove violation - not just interruption.

zekopeko
January 11th, 2009, 12:01 AM
"Presumably" Seems to me either he does or doesn't. He may also not wish to become quagmired in this charade. Keep in mind that it's IPAT's responsibility to prove violation - not just interruption.

or he has a stake in an investment fund that may have bought symantec stocks in his name...

Grant A.
January 11th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Where is judge Kimball when we need him? :(

...UNIX has had file permissions since the 1970's.... this company will definitely lose due to prior art.

Mason Whitaker
January 11th, 2009, 01:00 AM
This is lol, as most of the companies being sued at this technology before the 90s

xD;

Chame_Wizard
January 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Where is judge Kimball when we need him? :(

...UNIX has had file permissions since the 1970's.... this company will definitely lose due to prior art.

since the 1970's?i thought since 1969 :tongue:.