PDA

View Full Version : [other] Recommend a tiny Gnome based Linux distro

NeonBible
January 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I am running Ubuntu off of a USB drive. It works, but the problem is that its only 1GB and I can't create any new files now because it thinks I no longer have any space. I can still surf the net though, strange.

Anyway, I have just ordered a 16GB flash drive which I plan to put Ubuntu on.

In the mean time I would still like to play with Linux. Are any distros out there that doesn't take more than 500mb when installed on the USB stick, in Gnome based ... basically as close to Ubuntu as possible.

cwsnyder
January 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
You could run any of the Live CD versions of Ubuntu or Linux Mint from CD. I am a relative n00b myself, but the way the USB stick install has been reported to me is it is basically a Live CD, without the general capability to save more than configuration files on the USB stick.

Mandriva and Puppy Linux both are more experienced in supporting USB stick installs, but Mandriva defaults to KDE 3.5, and Puppy uses JWM. I haven't seen any support in Debian 5.0 Lenny for USB stick install, although Sid may.

The best supported of the USB Stick or flash memory distributions are the 'netbook' distributions like Easy Peasy (a.k.a. Eeebuntu) designed to run on systems without sufficient hard drive space.

Hope this helps. If I were you, I would look at Easy Peasy, which is Ubuntu based.

davidcaiazzo
January 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
It really ins't gnome based but you can try fluxbuntu (http://fluxbuntu.org/) as well.

NeonBible
January 10th, 2009, 11:12 PM
You could run any of the Live CD versions of Ubuntu or Linux Mint from CD. I am a relative n00b myself, but the way the USB stick install has been reported to me is it is basically a Live CD, without the general capability to save more than configuration files on the USB stick.

Ah that is key, I didn't know that, probably the reason it reported 0 bytes free space on the drive. So when I get my 16GB USB stick, how will I install Ubuntu onto it?

Thanks for the suggestions, going to check it out.

cwsnyder
January 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
You should still be able to use the System >> Administration >> Create a USB startup disk to install Ubuntu on your 16G USB stick.

snowpine
January 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
There aren't really any "tiny" Gnome distros, because Gnome itself is quite large. For a USB install, I prefer something like Puppy or Slitaz, both of which have excellent USB installers (but not Gnome).

16gb is plenty of space for Ubuntu, though. You should be fine. :)