PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Fresh Installation, I have some questions.

ricardo072
January 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hi all,

I'm newbie in this forum, I'm from Guadalajara Mexico, I'm C/C++/Java Developer :P... I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu WorkStation x64 ( minor hw details: Intel core 2 Cuad, NVidia GeForce 8600GT video card, 8 Gb ram and motherboard gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L ) I already installed the NVidia video driver ver 177 and the first updates were installed (more than 200)...

I have some questions:

1) I installed compiz-fusion (Settings Manager also), and the emerald theme manager, everything looks good. I would like to know if there is some way to install a real iMac LookAndFeel (if any), with some gattgets. I don't know how to install and configure a tool called "AWM".

2) My motherboard have a 7.1 sound channels output integrated, how can I configure the sound in ubuntu ?

3) How can I install Flash?, I can't use youtube right now, i.e.

Your help is very appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Best regards.

blackened
January 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
...3) How can I install Flash?, I can't use youtube right now, i.e....

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

ricardo072
January 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
ok thx

skern03
January 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm newbie in this forum, I'm from Guadalajara Mexico, I'm C/C++/Java Developer :P... I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu WorkStation x64 ( minor hw details: Intel core 2 Cuad, NVidia GeForce 8600GT video card, 8 Gb ram and motherboard gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L ) I already installed the NVidia video driver ver 177 and the first updates were installed (more than 200)...

I have some questions:

1) I installed compiz-fusion (Settings Manager also), and the emerald theme manager, everything looks good. I would like to know if there is some way to install a real iMac LookAndFeel (if any), with some gattgets. I don't know how to install and configure a tool called "AWM".

2) My motherboard have a 7.1 sound channels output integrated, how can I configure the sound in ubuntu ?

3) How can I install Flash?, I can't use youtube right now, i.e.

Your help is very appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Best regards.

Not sure about the iMac question... From what I've seen on my daughter's new Mac Book, the closest I've seen to that look (with the shelf and gadgets at the bottom) is Kubuntu 8.10. My experience with it was poor; it was buggy at best.

As for configuring sound, at the top of the Multimedia and Video Forum are two stickies. You want to follow the instructions in the second, Comprehensive Sound Problem solutions Guide.

ricardo072
January 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM

I already did this, but youtube still telling me:
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player.

any suggestion ?
Thx

ricardo072
January 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Not sure about the iMac question... From what I've seen on my daughter's new Mac Book, the closest I've seen to that look (with the shelf and gadgets at the bottom) is Kubuntu 8.10. My experience with it was poor; it was buggy at best.

As for configuring sound, at the top of the Multimedia and Video Forum are two stickies. You want to follow the instructions in the second, Comprehensive Sound Problem solutions Guide.

Thanks, I will check Multimedia and Video forums.

avtolle
January 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
You might also want to check out the Apple Users subforum for further information and potential assistance.

yobird42
January 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
if you're looking for a mac-like theme check out gnome-look.com, there are tons of mac themes for emerald.

To install awn window manager which is the dock, go to synaptic and search for "awn".

I'm not sure what you mean by gadgets but installing the screenlet manager might help with that. search for "screenlets" in synaptic.

A search for "flash player" in synaptic could help as well if you're unable to install of the adobe website.

ricardo072
January 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
if you're looking for a mac-like theme check out gnome-look.com, there are tons of mac themes for emerald.

To install awn window manager which is the dock, go to synaptic and search for "awn".

I'm not sure what you mean by gadgets but installing the screenlet manager might help with that. search for "screenlets" in synaptic.

That's right, I meant "screenlets", thanks a lot!

skern03
January 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I already did this, but youtube still telling me:
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player.

any suggestion ?
Thx

Also at top of the Multimedia & Video forum is a sticky, Comprehensive Mutli-media and Video how-to. It cured a lot of video issues for me, including the weird javascript not enabled message. For me, it was enabled, but I still got the message.

After I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10, and followed the instructions in the sticky mentioned above, my video problems went away for the most part.

skern03
January 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by gadgets

OP & Yobird: My kid's Macbook refers to them as "widgets." Vista <urp> has gadgets as does Google. Anyway, they're small apps like games.

blackened
January 11th, 2009, 06:16 AM
OP & Yobird: My kid's Macbook refers to them as "widgets." Vista <urp> has gadgets as does Google. Anyway, they're small apps like games.

sudo apt-get install gdesklets
or

sudo apt-get install adesklets
or

sudo apt-get install screenlets

skern03
January 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
sudo apt-get install screenlets

Very cool! Thanks a million.

ricardo072
January 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I want to thank to all of you for your help...

Once I execute "sudo apt-get install screenlets", how can I configure it ?
where I can get the most common screenlets like a "Clock" or CPU Monitor ?
I need a "How-to Use"....

skern03
January 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I want to thank to all of you for your help...

Once I execute "sudo apt-get install screenlets", how can I configure it ?
where I can get the most common screenlets like a "Clock" or CPU Monitor ?
I need a "How-to Use"....

Go to Applications, Accessories, Screenlet Manager. You'll get a window with screenlets, including clock, CPU meter, weather, and many more. Check out Sidebar - it lets you dock the screenlets.

If you want them back when you login, then from the Screenlet Manager, under Options, select Running Screenlets. Click each applet in succession, and select Auto start on login.

It's a good idea for each of the screenlets to have BOTH keep above and keep below unchecked.

ricardo072
January 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
:guitar:

it seems to work,
Thanks!

skern03
January 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
:guitar:

it seems to work,
Thanks!

Great! Don't forget to mark the thread solved so others can benefit. You can do that by clicking Thread Tools, Mark as Solved.

ricardo072
January 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Great! Don't forget to mark the thread solved so others can benefit. You can do that by clicking Thread Tools, Mark as Solved.

So sorry, inndeed the "Thread tools" is displaying only one option... is "Show Printable Version" What can I do ?
-------------------------------------

Never mind... i've logged in..