PDA

View Full Version : Live Search vs Google

Bungo Pony
January 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Apparently, Microsoft just paid a few million to have their search engine as default on Dell computers and Verizon phones. Source (http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_11419708)

So, I figured I'd try out Live Search and see how it holds up to Google. I figured I'd search for something simple... my blog which is hosted on Blogger (a Google-owned service.)

When I type my blog's name in Google, it's the first link that comes up. When I type it in Live Search, it is NOWHERE to be found. I tried a few other combinations to have my blog come up, but it seems that Live Search misses anything that is posted on Blogger. Just for the hell of it, I tried Yahoo, and yup, there's my blog first on the list.

I can't help but wonder if Microsoft is deliberately excluding information from this Google service, or if Live Search is just a really crappy search engine. (Maybe both?)

sydbat
January 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
My guess - a little from column A, a little from column B...

jimi_hendrix
January 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM
probably you should use a few different search engines if you are doing research...grab different results...but idk

mr.propre
January 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
No, Microsoft doesn't block google website, Live.com is just really bad.
I tested in the past and if you look for something about Microsoft, 9 of the 10 times google wil give you a more accurate result than Live.com

Skripka
January 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
My guess - a little from column A, a little from column B...

My own guess: Yes.

ithanium
January 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Google is the best when it comes to searching the web, so don't even bother with live search

-grubby
January 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Live search doesn't even count as a search engine in my book.

Insane_Homer
January 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM

+1, it's total pants

not seen anything to rival google tbh (not that I've been actively looking) but it does what it says on the tin.

ithanium
January 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM

you are right

Thirtysixway
January 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Remember when cuil.com was supposed to rival Google? Hahaha wonder if anyone even uses Cuil.

I started using Live search because it looked nice but it gave bad results. I only like the live games thing that drives up their query count because you can earn some pretty cool stuff fore free.

-grubby
January 11th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Remember when cuil.com was supposed to rival Google? Hahaha wonder if anyone even uses Cuil.

It seems to be getting better over time, but it is nowhere near as great as Google yet.