PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Ubuntu work on netbooks

clark333
January 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi -

I have a fairly new netbook with good spec (1 Gig Ram and lots of HD Space). Being a netbook, it doesnt come with a CD Drive. I was wondering how i could dual boot it with Ubuntu:-

Can this be done?
If so, can someone point me to instructions?

cmay
January 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
there is a ubuntu remix called eeebuntu netbook remix which i use on a usb stick as live cd replacement and i have installed crunchbang linux on my asus eeepc. the usb stick is very easy to create sing the unetbootin utility. you can install and make a dua boot configuation as you see fit with the eeebuntu remix install as well. just test as a live system before installing.

clark333
January 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
That sounds like exactly what i am after. To I go to eeebuntu netbook website and download the remix version? What do i do to get it onto the usb pen?

clark333
January 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for this - i was able to find instructions on how to do this and it seems to have worked. Pretty cool that you can keep an entire OS on your USB pen (with the settings) wow! One question i have -

Because its eeebuntu, does this mean the usb pen OS will only work on netbooks? I would like to plug it into my desktop pc aswell, but im guessing this would have to be a different install on pen?

ddalley
January 14th, 2009, 03:10 AM
In what state is Remix now?

I haven't seen any news about updates and the last time I read about it Remix did not support all hardware on, say, the Acer Aspire One, and there may have been other problems.

For the people who have really _used_ Remix:

How restricted is the Remix distribution compared to, say, LinpusLite?

iaculallad
January 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I bought a MSI u100x netbook a month ago and had successfully installed Ubuntu 8.04 using the unetbootin (http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html) utility.