PDA

View Full Version : AnyDVD going to subscription based model

kevdog
January 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Although I suppose this could be interpreted as spam, I read yesterday on www.doom9.org that AnyDVD was going to a subscription based service rather than free lifetime updates. The last day to purchase AnyDVD with free lifetime updates is today and tomorrow. Yes I know this is a Windows based program and I don't think it runs in Wine, however with the number of video enthusiasts in this forum I thought I would just pass on the message. I did not include a link purposely to really make the impression that I don't want this to be interpreted as SPAM.

MisterFlibble84
January 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I think it's ironic that a product designed to aide "piracy" is incorporating some kind of DRM system to make sure you paid them. :lolflag:

TBOL3
January 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Why would you want to buy this anyway? It seems to me like libdvdcss can do everything that can, and it looks just as illegal as libdvdcss does anyway.

kevdog
January 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
libdvdcss -- cant handle blueray

insane_alien
January 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
libdvdcss -- cant handle blueray

...yet.

kevdog
January 10th, 2009, 11:56 PM
...yet.

Famous last words -- may be years for this to happen but you never know.

jrusso2
January 11th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Why would you want to buy this anyway? It seems to me like libdvdcss can do everything that can, and it looks just as illegal as libdvdcss does anyway.

The Linux programs don't work nearly as well as the Windows ones for DVD. I have looked at most of the Linux one's and have yet to find one as easy to use or that will deal with arrcos.

wmcbrine
January 11th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I have looked at most of the Linux one's and have yet to find one as easy to use or that will deal with arrcos.Wikipedia says:

"RipIt for the Mac, Slysoft's AnyDVD, Fengtao's DVDFab Decrypter, RipIt4Me + DVD Decrypter, FixVTS, DVD43, MacTheRipper, along with VLC media player[1], GNU ddrescue, dd_rescue and MPlayer/MEncoder (for Linux) are usually able to overcome ARccOS."

I don't have personal experience with arccos. However, I normally rip via "mplayer -dumpstream dvd://1", which as I understand it reads it more or less the way a "normal" player would, and is therefore not thwarted by the usual techniques.

Polygon
January 12th, 2009, 03:37 AM
anydvd is useful for ripping dvds where they have done nasty stuff, like 0 length chapters, fake chapters, other nasty stuff that will crash rippers that use libdvdcss and stuff, since libdvdcss is just a dvd reading/decoding library, its not meant to deal with the nasty stuff and rip it to a computer