PDA

View Full Version : Are there any metalhead Linux user out there?

Nightstrike2009
January 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Hiya everyone I am Nightstrike2009 and a user of Ubuntu 8.10 and am very new, but learning fast. I am also a metalhead and Like to listen to Megadeth,Pantera,Godsmack,NIN,Marilyn Manson, etc.

I am a also a member of oddfellowscanteen too http://www.oddfellowscanteen.co.uk/ and am just called Nightstrike there its another forum (not related to Linux) for metalheads only that wish to rant about the workplace or chat in general (while keeping there ID's and workplace names anonymous) and quite new it uses phpBB which your probably aware is opensource an a good place for metallers to chat.

I have also mentioned Ubuntu and Ubuntu forums there as I wish to get as many people as possible to at least try out Ubuntu (and preferably get to listen to metal too.)

Lets keep the Linux and Metalhead faith going strong!

Nightstrike2009
January 10th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I have also figured out how to get a Nvidia 6600GT graphics card to use the NVidia 177 drivers and run compiz desktop effects too (the 3D Cube) (there is a slight titlebar glitch but this affects most other compiz users to with Ubuntu 8.10), quite easily for Ubuntu 8.10 newcomers (involving no command lines) Which I have provided a thread link to provided below;

My NVidia 6600GT & Compiz How-to Thread Link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035634

Northsider
January 10th, 2009, 06:08 AM
...ish. I used to be into 80's metal, particularly New Wave of British Heavy Metal. I was always more into punk though. Megadeth, Metallica, and Iron Maiden are still 3 of my favorite bands though.

jomiolto
January 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I never liked the word 'metalhead' for some reason, but I do like metal. Lately I've been listening to some nice funeral doom and melodic death -- Esoteric and Kalmah, primarily.

Welcome to Ubuntu and the forums ):P

RPG Master
January 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't exactly call them metal, but these are the bands I listen too that are apart of the metal genre: P.O.D., Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Underoath.

wolfen69
January 10th, 2009, 08:21 AM
i like sabbath, ozzy, zep, hendrix, big hair 80's, kiss, alice in chains, scorpions, iron maiden. mostly classic metal. but in reality, there's alot of music i like.

RATM_Owns
January 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Sure. I'm a metalhead.

I like AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Iron Maiden, White Zombie, Black Label Society, Slipknot, The Disturbed, Slayer, Bullet for my Valentine, and other metal bands.

Sand & Mercury
January 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I listen to a lot of death metal and doom metal.

Bölvaður
January 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Looking at the cd rack I have I spot some albums, here is a trimmed down list of the bands that are there.

Gorgoroth, Immortal, Naglfar, Leviathan, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Nile,Skinless, Decapitated, Deicide, Hypocrisy, Incantation, Labrat, Amon Amarth, Nasum, Queen, Andlát, Iadapt, Changer, Mínus.

I am not sorry to say that I have no burzum nor nargaroth even if I like both of them (from what I understand, that is illegal).

I also gut a rubbish pile with bands like. Machine Head (dont complain that cd is rubbish even if their earlier stuff is good), rage against the machine, crowbar, system of a down, biohazard, papa roach, korn, limp bizkit (and we all agree Limpwrist is better and more manly band dont we?)

.Maleficus.
January 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
My name is .Maleficus. and I too am a metalhead.

Prog Metal- Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Rush, Symphony X, Opeth (some consider them Death Metal but the newer stuff is definitely prog too), Fates Warning
Power Metal - Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Cellador, Rhapsody, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Falconer
Heavy Metal - Pantera, Ozzy, Black Label Society, Engwie J Malmsteen (also Rising Force), John 5

Those are just the CDs I have sitting on my desk next to me, there's a ton of others too that I can't be bothered type. Dream Theater is my all time favorite though - John Petrucci is basically the reason I play guitar.

venator260
January 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I am. I like most things from Metallica to Cannibal Corpse.

Meshuggah, Dying Fetus, Kalmah, Ensiferum, In Flames, and Hypocrisy have been in my rotation lately. However, I'll listen to most anything that's called metal.

ushimitsudoki
January 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Count me in.

vernator260 just about covered my tastes. I'm not elitist when it comes to metal - if it's heavy, I'll give it a listen.

DigitalDuality
January 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
d

Changturkey
January 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Used to be strictly thrash/hardcore, then moved to doom/death/prog and now finally I listen to everything 'cept country and rap.

Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Dream Theater, Metallica, Agalloch, Tool are just a few of the bands I like.

medic2000
January 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I love metal too much. It is the most original music style i think. It has great emotional bombardament. Some of the songs and their lyrics reflects some years of my life and my emotions i have felt in that years.

Favorite groups are Blind Guardian,Metallica,Megadeth,Iron Maiden,Iced Earth and Demons&Wizards. Thanks for this kind of great music. Thanks for all feelings...

Nightstrike2009
January 23rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
I started off into thrash metal but now prefer Industrial as its electronic based and fits in well with my love of computers to, recently discovered "Deathstars" music and I love it.

RiceMonster
January 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
I guess you could say I am. I used to listen to 98% metal, now I listen to all kinds of stuff. I kind of got bored with it, but I still like to listen to the best bands I discovered.

My favorites are:
Darkspace, Drudkh, Agalloch, Blood Freak, Frightmare, Megadeth, Sodom, Vio-lence, Darkthrone, Cephalic Carnage, Blind Guardian etc.

There's a lot more, but those are the ones that first popped into my head.

SomeGuyDude
January 23rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Pig Destroyer, Deicide, Despised Icon, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Eyehategod, Ion Dissonance, Strapping Young Lad, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Old Man's Child, The Sword, holy hell I could keep going.

Saw a man set himself on fire at a Slayer concert once, too.

Got a gigantic tattoo from a Paul Booth design (Booth being the guy who tattoos all the metal guys these days). I'm no Glen Benton with an upside-down cross burned to my throat, but the demon on my chest ain't too shabby!

padams10001
January 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Just listening to Death Angel at the moment.

mdewet
January 23rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I can't stop listening to Judas Priest's stained class album..between that and 'Rust in Peace' by Megadeth I got through 5 gruelling days of work with a smile this week..and of course UP THE IRONS!!

speedwell68
January 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I'm in Metal, not as much as I used to be. But, I like Iron Maiden, The Almighty, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, ACDC, Slayer, Ozzy, Led Zep, Alice Cooper amongst others.

JohnLM_the_Ghost
January 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I sort of am...
My favourites are Rob Zombie, Megadeth, Metallica, AC/DC, System of a Down, Rammstein and others

abhilashm86
January 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
i don't understand metal music and stuff;)but i like at times distortion:p

well here it goes,i like western classical music,lot of piano,violen,symphony.
does anyone out there piano Richard clayderman fans

thoughtcriminal
January 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/SGT4EVA/i-am-a-big-metal-fan.jpg

sorry, couldn't help myself.

Real big on Progressive, Symphonic, and Avant Garde metal
Epica, Dream Theatre, Kekal, Krypteria, Opeth, Ion Dissonance, Kamelot, and Tool to name a few.

Also a fan of melodic death metal (Soilwork, In Flames, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, Children of Bodom, etc), Industrial (Fear Factory, Static-X) Thrash (Threat Signal, Bloodjinn, 5FDP) and Mathcore (Norma Jean, Architects, Dillinger Escape Plan, TDTDE, Carbomb, and Protest the hero)

JohnLM_the_Ghost
January 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Real big on Progressive, Symphonic, and Avant Garde metal
Epica, Dream Theatre, Kekal, Krypteria, Opeth, Ion Dissonance, Kamelot, and Tool to name a few.

Also a fan of melodic death metal (Soilwork, In Flames, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, Children of Bodom, etc), Industrial (Fear Factory, Static-X) Thrash (Threat Signal, Bloodjinn, 5FDP) and Mathcore (Norma Jean, Architects, Dillinger Escape Plan, TDTDE, Carbomb, and Protest the hero)

Thanks for the info! I'll have to take a look into those...

CrazyArcher
January 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'll just paste my "Fav music" section from my Phasebook...

Dissection, Emperor, Immortal, I, Naglfar, Behemoth, Kreator, Tyr, Eluveitie, 1349, Arcturus, Dark Tranquillity, Mayhem, Satyricon, Windir, Bathory, Carpathian Forest, Motorhead, Marduk, Rotting Christ, Gehenna, Taake, Watain, Theatres Des Vampires, The Gathering, Deep Purple, Urah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne

MikeBrown
January 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I lurve Metal.

Godsmack, Marilyn Manson, Mudvayne, Dimmu Borgir, Static-X, Slipknot, Deftones, Tool, Lamb Of God, and so on. It's good music to play fps's to...

I use Ubuntu 8.10 on the laptop described in my signature below, and have been loving it since I installed. I use my Ubuntu boot more often than my Windows boot on my laptop and (besides work and gaming) use it waaaaaay more often than windows.

I'm loving Ubuntu and want to keep on learning and sharing with others to help them along. I really like the community here on the forums.

Perhaps I may join the forum you mentioned in your OP, because I can rant like the best of 'em sometimes!

Welcome to the forums!

Nightstrike2009
January 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
New open-minded metalheads/goths would be more than welcome on http://www.oddfellowscanteen.co.uk/ :-) They are set up for metalheads/goths to rant about the workplace obviously real names and company names have to remain anonymous as ranting about your employer could have consequences for your position. We chat about other lots of other related stuff too, I also try to promote the Linux Ubuntu OS to others when I can (As I find its the easiest to use). I have also found "Deathstars" music to be quite good too. :-)