PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows larger than the screen

´silas
January 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
My problem is that some windows are larger than my monitor, meaning that I have to access some functions with the tab key, which is in some cases not as successful as in others :P

I'm running 8.10 ubuntu on a Asus Eee 8,9", any suggestions as to how I can fix the problem. If possible, i'd prefer to not use compiz and just stick with Nautilus.

I tried editing the size of them, but they seem to be at minimum size even though they are larger than my monitor.

Thanks in advance
silas

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/SilasJ/windowstoobig.png

Hooya
January 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
You can always move windows by holding Alt, then click anywhere in the window and drag it to it's new position. Helpful to get to the parts of windows that turn up hidden off screen. Happens to me all the time with some programs under Fluxbox - the program doesn't remember where it should be or doesn't know the screen boundries.

skewray
January 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM
You can always move windows by holding Alt, then click anywhere in the window and drag it to it's new position. Helpful to get to the parts of windows that turn up hidden off screen. Happens to me all the time with some programs under Fluxbox - the program doesn't remember where it should be or doesn't know the screen boundries.

This doesn´t work with xubuntu running xfce. alt-click will move the window only down, left, and right, so the bottom of the window is never visible.

Brian

BazookaAce
January 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I had the same problem before. But i installed Ubuntu Eee (Easy Peasy is the new name i think) on my Acer Aspire One, and now, the problem is "gone". Fine, some windows are oversized, but not many.

Or you can maybe edit something in the system. Change what? Well.. I don't know. Ask the experts :p

JECHO
January 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
My problem is that some windows are larger than my monitor, meaning that I have to access some functions with the tab key, which is in some cases not as successful as in others :P

I'm running 8.10 ubuntu on a Asus Eee 8,9", any suggestions as to how I can fix the problem. If possible, i'd prefer to not use compiz and just stick with Nautilus.

I tried editing the size of them, but they seem to be at minimum size even though they are larger than my monitor.

Thanks in advance
silas

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/SilasJ/windowstoobig.png

i have the same machine and had the same problem. lucky for you there are a few options...

1. you can do what i did and have the bottom gnome panel hide automatically, which solve dthe problem for me because the bottom of my windows was just under the panel.

2. install Eeebuntu here (http://www.eeebuntu.org/). i would recommend the "Netbook NBR" version. I put that on my Eee and everything worked right out of the box. Plus you get the sweet NBR "LCARS-like" interface :D.

3. you can install ubuntu eee (also known as easy peasy). i tried that though and found it to not work very well.

Obviously the first option is the best for you (unless you dont mind reinstalling) but if that doesn't work and you cant find a fix i highly recommend trying Eeebuntu.

hope that helps!

skewray
January 11th, 2009, 05:54 AM
How do I make the bottom panel hide in xfce? I don want the panel anyway. Installing Yet Another Ubuntu Version just does not appeal to me; I finally got four computers all running [kx]ubuntu, which is a major victory over the previous mish-mash of Linux distros I had.

Thanks,

Brian

´silas
January 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you until now, been kinda busy.
I'll see if I find eeeubuntu good enough to consider a re-install tomorrow, I tried the auto-hide myself, but I couldn't make it work somehow :S