PDA

View Full Version : The new Dell Adamo Laptop looks amazing!

Mazza558
January 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/01/2009-01-09whitead-10.jpg

More pics here (http://www.engadget.com/photos/more-adamo-images/1273925/)

Just look at this laptop - I think it rivals the Macbook in sleekness, and beats the high-end Sony Vaios. Just imagine this thing with a good Ubuntu theme :D - Shame it's using Vista at the moment.

%hMa@?b<C
January 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM
looks like a mac.

hotweiss
January 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
That is going to be my next computer. My experiences with Dell have been perfect, so they will get my money.

PS-they also just started selling the XPS 13, hmmmmm

jrusso2
January 10th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Well it seems obvious that Dell was trying for the macbook pro looks here.

Joeb454
January 10th, 2009, 12:28 AM
It does seem very Macbook styled, though these definitely get my vote over the Macbook Pro.

I wonder what the battery life is like...

ghindo
January 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Looks nice. I don't s'pose there are any official statements about pricing, specs, etc. yet?

Sealbhach
January 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
It's got a nice outside. That's for sure. I still think my Vaio looks cooler though.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/img/p/400/340823.jpg

Mine doesn't have any MS badges either.

Changturkey
January 10th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Is this thing supposed to be a Macbook Air competitor?

gn2
January 10th, 2009, 02:34 AM
looks like a mac.

Probably made by the same manufacturer. Quanta (http://www.quantatw.com/Quanta/english/Default.aspx).

cta16
January 10th, 2009, 02:42 AM
This has to be one of the best laptops I've seen in a while. If this is 13.3 inch or 12.1 inch laptop, I'm sold.

cardinals_fan
January 10th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Meh. A Thinkpad beats it (for me) any day of the week.

ghindo
January 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Meh. A Thinkpad beats it (for me) any day of the week.How can you tell? The Adamo isn't even out yet.

cardinals_fan
January 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
How can you tell? The Adamo isn't even out yet.
I was merely referring to looks. However, my past experiences with Dell have been generally unpleasant.

hotweiss
January 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I was merely referring to looks. However, my past experiences with Dell have been generally unpleasant.

On the contrary my Dell experiences have been very good...

chucky chuckaluck
January 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Probably made by the same manufacturer. Quanta (http://www.quantatw.com/Quanta/english/Default.aspx).

quanta: are you sure you don't want the right click?

apple: yup! don't want to confuse our users.

Mason Whitaker
January 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM

I've said this before, and this frustrates me so terribly...

YOU DON'T NEED TO USE THE ONE CLICK MOUSE <_<

hanzomon4
January 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
And two fingers+click=the best right clicking on any laptop. Please don't let your brain explode attempting to understand the buttonless trackpad.

This looks ok, i'm digging the Hp mini mi

chucky chuckaluck
January 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I've said this before, and this frustrates me so terribly...

YOU DON'T NEED TO USE THE ONE CLICK MOUSE <_<

i remember that from the first time you said it. the default is one-click, though. is it not?

Namtabmai
January 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Nice, but give me a call when Dell actually getting round to selling this with out Windows as part of the package, or at the very least with Ubuntu/Linux as an option.

Until then it's niceness/specs/etc are all a moot point.

Frak
January 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Haha; that absolutely was the mentality at apple for awhile. It was easier for a user to be able to see everything on a screen than to have to randomly right click to find something.

i remember that from the first time you said it. the default is one-click, though. is it not?

Macbooks? They look one click, but you right click by using two fingers.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The keyboard looks really interesting. The keys all have a slight concave shape to them. I would love to try it and see how that feels...
Still, I think I've been completely sucked in to Sony at this point. Having worked at a computer shop for about a year now, exposure to Sony Vaio computers has given me an incurable desire to own one. They're just delightfully sleek. That, and they've somehow made the 18" one lighter than my current 14.4" Asus.

The default trackpad settings on Apple laptops sicken me. They have these beautiful, very capable trackpads but the default settings disable tap to click, double tap to right click, and two finger scrolling. It's just a puck and a big button; totally ugly feeling. Most Macbooks I have encountered have these functions turned off because the users don't expect options to exist. What the heck is the point?!

So I've made it my mission to enable that stuff on every Macbook I encounter and to curse Apple for not having it by default.

KiwiNZ
January 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
*whispers quietly*.....no its not , things changed a while back

jimi_hendrix
January 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
is greater than macbook because it has:

2 mouse buttons

a keyboard that looks like it feels decent

KiwiNZ
January 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Or left side right side of the glass touch pad
Or left side right side on the mighty mouse

Haha; that absolutely was the mentality at apple for awhile. It was easier for a user to be able to see everything on a screen than to have to randomly right click to find something.

Macbooks? They look one click, but you right click by using two fingers.

toupeiro
January 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I am really anticipating the final specs on this laptop. From what I gathered, it will NOT be atom based, yet compete in the netbook catagory. It will likely not be as cheap as a netbook, but if it sells itself as a "high end notebook", which it is, then it might have the GFX/CPU power I need. I LOVE these smaller netbooks from an aesthetics standpoint (not really the Mac Air though, too thin, and gets too hot), but I didn't think there'd ever be one I could consider from a performance standpoint.

The last powerful subnotebook (now called netbooks) I owned was a Toshiba Libretto, and for their day, they were extremely powerful for their size.

Frak
January 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Or left side right side of the glass touch pad
Or left side right side on the mighty mouse
I haven't tried the new macbooks yet, but I remember the old (just last gen) books used two fingers for right click. The mighty mice have been double click ever since 10.3 (IIRC).

off topic, but I loathe mighty mice
Just wanted to put that out there.

chucky chuckaluck
January 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
*whispers quietly*.....no its not , things changed a while back

oh! was this before or after the latop made out of a single sheet of filo dough?

hotweiss
January 11th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I am really anticipating the final specs on this laptop. From what I gathered, it will NOT be atom based, yet compete in the netbook catagory. It will likely not be as cheap as a netbook, but if it sells itself as a "high end notebook", which it is, then it might have the GFX/CPU power I need. I LOVE these smaller netbooks from an aesthetics standpoint (not really the Mac Air though, too thin, and gets too hot), but I didn't think there'd ever be one I could consider from a performance standpoint.

The last powerful subnotebook (now called netbooks) I owned was a Toshiba Libretto, and for their day, they were extremely powerful for their size.

I love 12" notebooks. The notebook that I kept the longest was my old Toshiba 12" notebook. You can take them anywhere with ease and rest them on your stomach while lying down. I recently bought a 15.4" notebook, but due to its' size it's more of a desktop replacement...

finite9
March 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM
just saw this laptop and it's exactly what im looking for...

I wrote down specs I would love to see in a laptop ages ago and have been looking for a while but none come as close as the Adamo:

13" touch screen
min 1.2GHz CPU
min 2GB ram
min 80GB SSD
intel graphics
intel 5300 wireless
gigabit LAN
backlit [full] keyboard
HDMI output
decent size trackpad
min. 4hr battery
under 2Kg
toughened casing to protect against knocks and bangs

I made a new server before christmas that contains all the disc space and processing power I need for all intensive jobs, and now im looking for a very slim,small laptop that has 'just enoguh' resources to run Gnome decently, web and email, playing music and movies. a 1.2GHz CPU is good enough for this and 2GB is more than enough. Intel only chipsets are a neccesity because they have completely free drivers that perform very well.

I just hope the battery life is decent, like over 4 hours during actual usage. Wonder if the SSD enables longer battery life.

As you can see from my spec, the Adamo has all this apart from touchscreen (I haven't checked if it has this but didn't see it in the specs). DisplayPort can be converted to a HDMI for plugging into TV.

I've never tried to install Ubuntu from a USB key (as the laptop has no inbuilt DVD-R) but assume it is not an issue?

MacBook and Lenovo X300 were at the top of my list before, followed by System76 Gazelle, but they all have shortcomings (price in the case of Lenovo).

Mr. Picklesworth
March 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
And two fingers+click=the best right clicking on any laptop. Please don't let your brain explode attempting to understand the buttonless trackpad.

This looks ok, i'm digging the Hp mini mi

I should point out that many trackpads on the market today support multi-finger-iness. It's just that the Synaptics drivers for Windows are terrible.
The driver coming in Jaunty (9.04) is much improved over the already pretty good one we had in past releases. It's less wobbly. It has really solid and slightly more gutsy autodetection of features. It does two finger scrolling and multi-finger tapping out of the box for my Asus laptop :)

Polygon
March 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
if that laptop has tha glossy case crap that seems to plague 99% of laptops today, then no thanks.

also, i want that vista login screen backdrop. the default one is so ugly.

PurposeOfReason
March 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Dell made a POS IMO. The keyboard looks flimsy because of how the keys are spaced. Those specs are already pushing "useable". For being aimed at portable like the air, it sure failed. It seems they went more for looks and not performance and in the end, their end model costs more than the air. The best laptop I've seen for performance/style/portability was and still is the sony tz.

Fail.

bashveank
March 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Honestly, it looks pretty ugly. Like they used the Apple reject. Just put the thing next to a MacBook Air and it looks like a big aluminum brick....

Mehall
March 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
It's got a nice outside. That's for sure. I still think my Vaio looks cooler though.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/img/p/400/340823.jpg

Mine doesn't have any MS badges either.

The Adamo has no stickers on the outside. Even the FCC ones are covered up. There's a panel right on the back that you have to remove to see the stickers.

Dragonbite
March 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
13.4" widescreen display? Sounds intersting.
128 GB SSD? Cool!

Alas, $2k is a bit much.

mihai.ile
March 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Alas, $2k is a bit much.

Well you could say that but when I remember that 3 years ago I payed the same for this: http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/4344.jpg then I say.. wow what an improvement in 3 years time.

era86
March 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
13.4" widescreen display? Sounds intersting.
128 GB SSD? Cool!

Alas, $2k is a bit much.

Seems like they inherited Apple's overpricing as well. Only, it doesn't look as "cool".

xl_cheese
March 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Two USB 2.0 ports, a hybrid USB and eSATA port, an ethernet jack, a headphone jack, and a DisplayPort output.

whoop
March 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
But does it explode? ;)

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Dell made a POS IMO. The keyboard looks flimsy because of how the keys are spaced. Those specs are already pushing "useable". For being aimed at portable like the air, it sure failed. It seems they went more for looks and not performance and in the end, their end model costs more than the air. The best laptop I've seen for performance/style/portability was and still is the sony tz.

Fail.

Not sure how one can test robustness from a photo ?

As for performance , its an ultra portable not a desktop replacement portable work station.

conundrumx
March 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
My unibody Macbook is only .3 inches thicker, .5 pounds heavier. It also has twice the processing power, built in optical, the same battery life and cost $500 less.

I'm sorry, why on earth would anyone buy this?

JackieChan
March 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
How much does it cost?

Dragonbite
March 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Can get 4 Dell Mini 9's with Ubuntu for this price (+/-).. even in 4 different colors!

conundrumx
March 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
How much does it cost?

The base model (1.2ghz) is $1999...

JackieChan
March 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Darn, I can't afford that! I'll stick to getting the Dell Inspiron 15 instead.

Therion
March 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Tell me you're kidding... You've GOT to be kidding.

It's got some curb/sex appeal, I grant you, but two-grand is beyond ridiculous.

Dragonbite
March 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM

For that, I'd look at a Dell Mini w/Ubuntu, a nice SLR Digital Camera *AND* get a mid-range (but still inexpensive) larger-screen laptop for "production" and working with all the images I'd be taking with the new SLR digital camera! ;)

conundrumx
March 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Nope. And the high end model (1.4ghz :|) is $2699. Say what you want about Apple, at least there is still a hint of sanity in their pricing.

Therion
March 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
For that, I'd look at a Dell Mini w/Ubuntu, a nice SLR Digital Camera *AND* get a mid-range (but still inexpensive) larger-screen laptop for "production" and working with all the images I'd be taking with the new SLR digital camera!
Not too mention all the hookers and booze...

mamamia88
March 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM

who would buy it then? doesn't the top of the line macbook come with a 2.4ghz processor?

jimi_hendrix
March 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
who would buy it then? doesn't the top of the line macbook come with a 2.4ghz processor?

or get a gateway desktop with an i7

conundrumx
March 19th, 2009, 10:54 PM

I can't really answer your first question. Yes, the top end Macbook (just Macbook, not Air or Pro) comes with a 2.4ghz Core2Duo. A P8600, for those desperate for details.

I love mine so far.

Redache
March 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM
It's a Luxury Item, one of those things you buy when you have more money than sense. Dell are just trying out high end design to see how well they can do it and the Adamo proves that Apple don't hold all the cards when it comes to good design skills.

It's Ultra-Mobile, has a 5 hour Battery Life and looks sleek. Rich Business Men love it (not that there are many of those anymore.

mamamia88
March 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM
It's a Luxury Item, one of those things you buy when you have more money than sense. Dell are just trying out high end design to see how well they can do it and the Adamo proves that Apple don't hold all the cards when it comes to good design skills.

It's Ultra-Mobile, has a 5 hour Battery Life and looks sleek. Rich Business Men love it (not that there are many of those anymore.

yeah but so is the macbook and for $400 less you get twice the cpu speed which would be hard to pass up

Mr. Picklesworth
March 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Can get 4 Dell Mini 9's with Ubuntu for this price (+/-).. even in 4 different colors!

Then you can link them together with a wireless ad-hoc network and have a portable, rainbow-coloured computing cluster! :P

Personally, I love the look of Adamo's keyboard. The keys have an interesting shape to them, which looks like it may actually be comfortable to type on. I would love to play with one for a while...

bashveank
March 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM

Yes, a similarly priced (actually $400 less) MacBook would be 2.4Ghz.
A similarly priced MacBook air would be 1.86Ghz.

It's a Luxury Item, one of those things you buy when you have more money than sense.

Wow, I wouldn't say that buyers of the Adamo have more money than sense, they just like the design while realizing that they don't need a blazing fast computer for checking their email.

gletob
March 20th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Just like the MBA: too high a price too little power.

Saving money for a nice Thinkpad

PurposeOfReason
March 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Not sure how one can test robustness from a photo ?

As for performance , its an ultra portable not a desktop replacement portable work station.
No. A eeepc is ultra portable. Weight != portability. Size plays a huge portion. Think of the air, sure it is light but the bag still needs to be 13.3 inches big.

For me thinking the keyboard is flimsy, well, it's me THINKING. I base it off of repairing and owning more laptops than can be counted on two sets of hands.

dspari1
March 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm more of a fan of the HP HDX models.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=34-147-922-S01%2c34-147-922-S02%2c34-147-922-S03%2c34-147-922-S04%2c34-147-922-S05%2c34-147-922-S06%2c34-147-922-S11%2c34-147-922-S07%2c34-147-922-S08%2c34-147-922-S09%2c34-147-922-S10%2c34-147-922-S12&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16834147922&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=HP%20HDX%2016-1140US%20Intel%20Core%202%20Duo%2016%22%20NVIDIA%2 0GeForce%209600M%20GT%20NoteBook%20-%20Retail

empty_spaces
March 20th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I think Samsung's line of notebooks is pretty good - looks and function.

Here's an example. And it only weighs 4lbs

http://www.buy.com/prod/Samsung_X460_44G_Laptop_Intel_Core_2_Duo_P7350_2_0 GHz_3GB_320GB_HDD_14_1_Widescreen_WXGA_DVD_RW_Dual _Layer_802/q/loc/273/209849659.html

I haven't heard much about it in terms of being linux friendly, so if anyone has any info, that would be great.

era86
March 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Nope. And the high end model (1.4ghz :|) is $2699. Say what you want about Apple, at least there is still a hint of sanity in their pricing.

Both this new Adamo and the MB/P are waaayy overpriced for the hardware you get. No sanity in either price whatsoever.

finite9
March 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
many have complained about the price of the Adamo, and compared it to other laptops, but just consider that it comes as *standard* with a 128GB SSD. MacBooks cost less but they dont have SSD as standard. What is the price when you add an SSD drive to the mix? I bet it's not far off, as they are damn expensive. I was looking at a System76 Gazelle and the price of the SSD alone is over $400.

conundrumx
March 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Both this new Adamo and the MB/P are waaayy overpriced for the hardware you get. No sanity in either price whatsoever.
While the Pro is certainly more overpriced than it's smaller brother, I don't think either of them is "insanely" overpriced. Nor do I think the Macbook is drastically overpriced compared to an equivalent system. I'm not saying Macs aren't overpriced - they are; it's just that the degree to which they are overpriced is largely exaggerated by unfair comparisons (a base model Mac is not similar in specs to any base model PC...Dell Adamo not included) and biased minds.

many have complained about the price of the Adamo, and compared it to other laptops, but just consider that it comes as *standard* with a 128GB SSD. MacBooks cost less but they dont have SSD as standard. What is the price when you add an SSD drive to the mix? I bet it's not far off, as they are damn expensive. I was looking at a System76 Gazelle and the price of the SSD alone is over $400.

The reason no one has touched on the SSD is because it's pointless and dumb. :) Modern buffering and motion sensing, as well as the general progress in construction of laptop hard drives beats out the needs for an SSD in normal use. Unless you're going to be constantly shaking/bumping/dropping something, or you really, really, really need that extra 30% performance boost on read operations, it's wasted money.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Macs may be over-priced, but they are consistently over-priced. Dell can't seem to keep the prices straight even on their own damn web site. Customers end up in endless spirals of deal-hunting even after they have chosen the brand and retailer.

Kareeser
March 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Sexxxxxyyy!

If they offered a version without the OS, I'd be all over that.

Bart_D
March 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Looks like rubbish.....very ordinary and rather mundane!

SeanBlader
March 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Wow there's a lot of haters in this thread, which in my experience is kind of odd compared to the rest of the Ubuntu Forums. Open source people in my experience tend to be more open minded. Weird.

Anyway, on topic, the Adamo is pretty from what pictures I've seen of it. The only time I had a non-good experience with Dell was with the limited upgradability of an XPS desktop system. Best it could do was add .2 GHz to the processor, not worth the money. The Adamo runs on Lithium Polymer cells which are stable, the explosive ones are Lithium Cobalt. The concerns I have are it's ability to use it's blu-ray drive off the Centrino processor, and then the fact that the battery is not "user-serviceable". I'd also have liked to not have to pay for a Vista license with it. I'll end up running Ubuntu or 7 depending on the mood I'm in.

As you can see from my spec, the Adamo has all this apart from touchscreen (I haven't checked if it has this but didn't see it in the specs)

Finite, coming from using an HP tx2000 tablet, you'd be surprised how infrequently one uses the actual touchscreen. I think in the year I've had it, I've used it in tablet mode maybe 10 times. Also trying to get ubuntu to use the touchscreen was a challenge, and using the fingerprint reader was a non-starter.

So what I look forward to in the Adamo is ditching Vista as soon as I get it and loading up Jaunty. I'm looking forward to my first Ubuntu wireless experience that doesn't use a Broadcom chip (both Dell and HP used it on my previous laptops) and I look forward to having ALL the hardware work right out of the box rather than having to work at getting drivers setup so I can start using the laptop. I also look forward to having gigabit ethernet (better than the air), eSata, and with the new intel graphics it will be able to play full screen MPEG's which my tablet can't do without dropping half the frames. And in the end I'll have a bigger screen and a lighter device. I may even forgo the use of a laptop bag to carry it to and from the office.

Does it look like rubbish? I'd ask some kid in the third world who just got his first OLPC what he thinks about the Adamo.
Why don't I just get the Air? Because then I'd break my streak of not owning any Apple products, I might be the only one.
Is it overpriced? I doubt it. Is it expensive? Sure, but I will consider it an investment into a US company's continued employment of Americans. In fact the nice lady with the cute southern accent that sold it to me works at Dell corporate, not at a south asian call center. It will still be cheaper than all the other new computers I've bought, except for the Studio Hybrid.

So I'll use it for presentations at the office, I'll use it for developing a web app here and there, and I'll use it for email and web surfing. Stuff that the system won't have any trouble doing, and it should beat the pants off the battery life on my tablet. And I'll have it for 7 years and everything will still work like my last Dell, compared to the HP which started losing components as soon as the warranty ran out.

It's like Therion's signature, except replace Linux with design.

Oh and I ordered it in Onyx. Other than it being aluminium instead of plastic, and half the size, it will be right at home with all the Thinkpads in the office.

era86
March 24th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Wow there's a lot of haters in this thread, which in my experience is kind of odd compared to the rest of the Ubuntu Forums. Open source people in my experience tend to be more open minded. Weird.

You can see it as hate, I see it as constructive criticism.;) Things don't improve without those who criticize. If everyone agreed with how open source software was back in '99, it would not be where it is today.

Does it look like rubbish? I'd ask some kid in the third world who just got his first OLPC what he thinks about the Adamo.
Why don't I just get the Air? Because then I'd break my streak of not owning any Apple products, I might be the only one.

You are definately not the only one. There are many of us who weren't duped into buying their products.

Is it overpriced? I doubt it. Is it expensive? Sure, but I will consider it an investment into a US company's continued employment of Americans.

Can you honestly say, that for the hardware and build, that the pricing is fair? (Edit: Although I didn't know it came with a Blu-Ray drive, I may reconsider this argument).

In fact the nice lady with the cute southern accent that sold it to me works at Dell corporate, not at a south asian call center.

Wait until you call tech support!;)

BGFG
March 24th, 2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/01/2009-01-09whitead-10.jpg
Just look at this laptop - I think it rivals the Macbook in sleekness, and beats the high-end Sony Vaios. Just imagine this thing with a good Ubuntu theme :D - Shame it's using Vista at the moment.

Ahh, but it's still a dell isn't it ? :)

JECHO
March 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Probably the most elegant Notebook computer I have ever seen... not sure about the hardware though. :-/

See it here (http://www.adamobydell.com)

swoll1980
March 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Wow! I didn't think anyone would ever come up with something more Douchebag-ish than the Macbook Air.

JECHO
March 24th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Wow! I didn't think anyone would ever come up with something more Douchebag-ish than the Macbook Air.

haha i hear you. the macbook air is the worst product i have ever seen. why spend $2000 on a notebook computer with no cd drive and a 70gb hdd when you can get an asus eee pc 1000 for $300 and its even SMALLER than the macbook air, thus more portable. haha

I never really was a mac guy anyway... lol:p

Rokurosv
March 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I think it's pretty but that's it. I'd rather go for an Aspire One or a Samsung NC10

swoll1980
March 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM
haha i hear you. the macbook air is the worst product i have ever seen. why spend $2000 on a notebook computer with no cd drive

So you can say "Dude my computer fits into an envelope!"

shailendra
March 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Looks cool....

I am a great fan of Dell laptops and I am glad they have come up with such a nice model.

era86
March 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Hhaha.. agreed. Even the Woz didn't like the air

sideaway
March 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I must say the hinge doesn't look that nice. But yeah it looks good, just wanna try that keyboard out.

but for US $2000... or NZ $4500... yeah, nah. Not keen. Would rather Acer Aspire One + desktop.

Kareeser
March 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Would be great if they released an OS-less model... I submitted a feedback form about it... you should too! :)

SeanBlader
March 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Wait until you call tech support!;)

I am my own tech support. Well until I run Ubuntu, then I come looking here.

It would definitely be better if they offered it without an OS, and I asked too if it came with ubuntu as an option or if I could get it without windows, no such luck.

Here's what I say to the netbook fans: I'm upgrading from a 12.1 inch HP tablet, because the screen is a little too small on this one. Just not quite enough horizontal space to write code. And I'd like a full sized keyboard.

And because the last Dell's I've had were all hugely more reliable than the HP.

era86
March 27th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Would be great if they released an OS-less model... I submitted a feedback form about it... you should too! :)

That would be amazing if ALL laptops came OS-less.

Dragonbite
March 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Here's what I say to the netbook fans: I'm upgrading from a 12.1 inch HP tablet, because the screen is a little too small on this one. Just not quite enough horizontal space to write code. And I'd like a full sized keyboard.

Most netbook users aren't writing code. That's not really the intended market in the first place.

If I had to get a system for programming and such, I would not work on my 12.1" Dell (that I'm typing this on right now), I would get a system like I have for work; a Thinkpad T61 with a 15.?" widescreen.

I would get a Netbook, though, so I didn't have to keep it plugged in while surfing and reading email on the couch (or anywhere else in the house) plus to be easy to take with me to computer club meetings for presentations.

I still would not plunk the money being asked for the Adamo. :lolflag:

Kareeser
March 28th, 2009, 05:58 AM
LOL Dragonbite...

but think of it this way... subtract $100 for an OS-less model, and wait until Dell's "rolling promotions" start, so you can have them upgrade the RAM (or hard drive) for free...

Then find some sort of coupon to slash another $300 off.

Now it ain't lookin' so bad, is it? :)

Frak
March 29th, 2009, 07:26 AM
LOL Dragonbite...

but think of it this way... subtract $100 for an OS-less model, and wait until Dell's "rolling promotions" start, so you can have them upgrade the RAM (or hard drive) for free...

Then find some sort of coupon to slash another $300 off.

Now it ain't lookin' so bad, is it? :)
Windows only costs the OEM around $40 per license; Dell's is only $20 for Vista and $5-10 for XP anyways. Not much of a savings.

Kareeser
April 11th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Apologies for bringing this back up, but has anyone tried loading Ubuntu on this little machine yet?

Firestem4
April 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM
See. This laptop is much better than the Mac Books for 1 reason!

It has a right click button

jamieh
April 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
How was the Vista logon backdrop changed?

joshdudeha
April 11th, 2009, 08:17 AM

You can set the macs to have a right click button too, rofl.

Mehall
April 11th, 2009, 02:19 PM
My unibody Macbook is only .3 inches thicker, .5 pounds heavier. It also has twice the processing power, built in optical, the same battery life and cost $500 less.

I'm sorry, why on earth would anyone buy this?

Granted, it's only got an AMD Neo, so it's CPU is a bit weaker than the Air, but the rest of the HP dv2 (which has various upgrades available, including the dv3, which is an entire model upgrade, which has it's OWN upgrades available) is very very very nice.

And it's only $749 with free shipping (http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/rts_notebook/rts_notebook/1/storefronts/NM325UA%2523ABA)

(RRP $799 for shops, fyi, so HP are doing a deal on the basic model)

(Oh! And that AMD Neo? it's a 1.6GHz, meaning better than the Dell. And it's an AMD processor, so it's realistically a 2GHz equivalent, like my XP 2000+, which runs at clock 1.6GHz, but is a 2GHz equivalent to the P4 in that case)

Joeb454
April 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Click using 2 fingers not 1, there's your right click button

klange
April 11th, 2009, 02:32 PM
You people are totally missing his emphasis: he likes that it has a physical, clicking button to trigger a right click.

lyceum
April 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
looks like a mac.

+1

Firestem4
April 11th, 2009, 07:13 PM
You people are totally missing his emphasis: he likes that it has a physical, clicking button to trigger a right click.

Thank you! someone who knows what i mean.

I KNOW that you can use two fingers to right click, however i find it so stupid. (Yes. Ive used mac books before so I have a valid issue with it)

cta16
April 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
How was the Vista logon backdrop changed?

It's pretty easy. Just use Stardock Logon Studio (http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/).

joshdudeha
April 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Thank you! someone who knows what i mean.

I KNOW that you can use two fingers to right click, however i find it so stupid. (Yes. Ive used mac books before so I have a valid issue with it)

But it's not much different from right clicking with a normal mouse / trackpad.
Sure, you can't actually see the button; but it's there, it works? It feels like a button?
:S

Sorry; its just my opinion :/

Dragonbite
April 14th, 2009, 04:33 PM
CNet has pictures of the Adamo cracked open here: http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10000721-1.html?s=1&o=10000719&tag=mncol%3bpage (http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10000721-1.html?s=1&o=10000719&tag=mncol%3bpage)

tekio
April 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Mine just arrived today... Installing Ubuntu right now ;)

omarly
December 27th, 2009, 02:06 AM
back-lit keyboard is something i miss on mine. and a battery hw-switch for battery? mine is going sour, and maybe 40 hrs max? usage.

mac definitivly good on design: big touch-pad and backlight. no drawback they all get more and more alike, like cars.

tech spec? it's like porn in the old days :)

take care ;)