PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First time posting. Advice with new laptop ubuntu installation?

mprogrammer
January 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hi, This is another attempt from me to get into the linux world. This time is different though. Because I'm willing to ask for help or because I know I can ask for help now.

Anyway, I ordered a new laptop online and it's gonna come with vista preinstalled. my question is how do I install grub and ubuntu without crushing vista and if for some reason I needed to reset the system (Vista) to factory setting how can I do that without crushing grub and ubuntu?

Another question about Grub. I am a computer major and I really want a resource that explains everything about file systems and MBRs and bootloader specifically grub and on how it works and all that any help????

thanks everyone in advance.

Therion
January 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
As for the Vista/Ubuntu dual boot setup, see this tutorial:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm

Grub's Wiki/homepage can be found here: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

ZekeMenuar
January 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hi, This is another attempt from me to get into the linux world. This time is different though. Because I'm willing to ask for help or because I know I can ask for help now.

Anyway, I ordered a new laptop online and it's gonna come with vista preinstalled. my question is how do I install grub and ubuntu without crushing vista and if for some reason I needed to reset the system (Vista) to factory setting how can I do that without crushing grub and ubuntu?

Another question about Grub. I am a computer major and I really want a resource that explains everything about file systems and MBRs and bootloader specifically grub and on how it works and all that any help????

thanks everyone in advance.

From one noob to another

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/index.html

This will get you started. There are three or fours ways to install Ubuntu with Vista.

I partitioned my HD and put Ubuntu in it's own small partiton.

I'm sure the grizzed veterans will be around soon to help you with your particular situation.

Welcome.

Sjums07
January 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I can't explain a lot ;D but! i can tell that i have been running Ubuntu for 3 months now :D happy with it :p i also had winvista preinstalled :D i had no problems, to install; i booted my laptop from the ubuntu cd, followed the guide, and in the installation guide, there is a good understandable guide on howto you wanna split your hdd :D so vista can be there easily without anything crashing ;D i dont know if you can get your windows back without touching linux (: havent tried :P but windows still works, and linux works as well :D

mprogrammer
January 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
well thanks a lot for your help guys another question just popped in my head too what if I wanna use windows boot loader after installing linux? I know this doesn't make sense since they both do that same job. but you know I'm a computer nerd or trying to be so I would like to know that piece of pointless info.

thanks in advance again.

Sjums07
January 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
don't understanded? :D if it make sense, i'll watch and learn ^^