PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with 8.10 upgrade

Ht228
January 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hello again ubuntu forums, had another problem :/

This morning I decided to upgrade my 8.04 distro to 8.10, pretty much just out of curiosity.

I used the upgrade manager, waited about 2 hours and the installation went swimmingly.

I restarted the computer and all seemed fine. I got to the log in screen, typed in the username and password and was greeted by a blank screen; no little hour glass ticking away, blank screen and my mouse.

I'd rather not have to uninstall (but luckily I backed up my files before upgrading) so if someone can help me either reload the previous version or log into this new distro, that'd be great.

thanks for your time

Ht228
January 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
right, bit of a bump after reading through some similar threads which suggested it might be a problem with the graphics card

i used grub to open the recovery mode, and ran the command

lspci|grep VGA (or something similar)

which told me my graphics card is intel corp mobile 915gm/gms/910gmc express graphics controller (rev 04)

now, i don't really know how this is going to help me, but seems others might be having a similar problem; they might have to change the resolution or something (don't know how to do this from the boot screen).

anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?

(sorry to bump so quickly but its annoying not being able to fix this and having to post from my windows partition)