PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] how to install xubuntu on ubuntu ?

Baffo
January 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
is it the same if i install xubuntu directly or do sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop from ubuntu ???

Tim Sharitt
January 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Installing xubuntu-desktop will install everything that comes with an xubuntu intstall, but you will still have everything that comes with ubuntu as well.

avtolle
January 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Installing xubuntu-desktop will install everything that comes with an xubuntu intstall, but you will still have everything that comes with ubuntu as well.
Exactly; and you will have the opportunity to select which type of session you want (Ubuntu or Xubuntu) at log in. Should you decide that you prefer one over the other, you may remove unwanted one. See http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce on how to remove Ubuntu if you want to go with Xubuntu. Happy computing

Baffo
January 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
i want xubuntu only, because ubuntu runs slow on my machine.
should i format and install xubuntu from scratch

snowpine
January 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

That will give you pure Xubuntu, just as though you'd installed it from scratch.

Baffo
January 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
amazing! :D

Baffo
January 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
how long should it take to remove ubuntu and install xubuntu thru the commands you linked me?

r!ots
January 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM
If I only want to check out the look&feel of the xubuntu desktop (but without installing apps like abiword, etc), would it be sufficient to install the xfce4-package? Or do I have to install xubuntu-desktop?

@Baffo:

how much should it take to remove ubuntu and install xubuntu thru the commands you linked me?

I don't get you question: How much of what should it take you?

Baffo
January 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
how much time (how long) :)

r!ots
January 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
if you still have to download the xubuntu-packages it depends on your internet connection and for removing the unwanted packages your hardware specs are crucial.
it shouldn't take more than 10 mins. just go ahead & try it out ;)