I partitioned my hard drive in the following way

3 Primary partitions
2Gb /dev/sda1 Swap
15Gb /dev/sda2 mount as /
15Gb /dev/sda3 left for use with other distros

2 Logical partitions
35Gb /dev/sda5 mount as /home
10Gb /dev/sda6 mount as /data for back up

Installation seemed fine and I had checked that the liveCD worked.

However on 'restarting' to finish installation, I get the login screen, attempt to login and the login screen doesn't get past the picture of the hard drive. It also won't start in failsafe mode, giving me and error regarding the x-server.

Any ideas I should try before just restarting, especially if it is something I did wrong the first time round?

_jj
January 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Update:
the error message I am getting when trying failsafe mode is
"
Xsession: unable to launch failsafe X session --- x-terminal-emulator not found; aborting.
"

I have tried console login, which works but "startx" then produces a lovely though not very helpful purple screen

_jj
January 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have started again with ubuntu 8.04 rather than kubuntu 8.10 which seems to work so I think maybe it is a problem with KDE 4.1

_jj
January 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I think the problem may be to do with poor use of the onboard intel graphics card, I am attempting to fix this in ubuntu and then will retry the KDE desktop. Has anyone else been having similar problems?

abn91c
January 17th, 2009, 02:22 AM
compiz dont work with some intel 845/945 series cards due to a bug in the driver, only solution is to remove compiz

_jj
January 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Is it safe to just remove compiz? if it is not enabled I assume I simply get the same as when desktop effects is set to none?

abn91c
January 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Is it safe to just remove compiz? if it is not enabled I assume I simply get the same as when desktop effects is set to none?
completely safe, compiz is just "eye candy", on some PC's you may also have to do in a terminal
kwin --replace after removing compiz, dont forget to reboot :-)

Truefire
January 18th, 2009, 12:46 AM
That's all un-needed. he just needs to reburn the disk, kde probably lost a library file, that's all.

abn91c
January 18th, 2009, 01:20 AM
with kubuntu 8.10 and Intel 845 video compiz/desktop effects have to be disabled or he will never log in.

_jj
January 20th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Is there any known way to get and 845 video card to work well with ubuntu/linux (I have looked and it seems like there is a bit of a problem/it is tricky) or am I better to cut my losses and buy a supported card?

channingmoore
March 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I think the problem may be to do with poor use of the onboard intel graphics card, I am attempting to fix this in ubuntu and then will retry the KDE desktop. Has anyone else been having similar problems?

I'm having the same problems right now; I've just done a clean install on an older box at home that definitely has the 845 onboard graphics. I'll update this if I figure out better what's going on; right now, I can't do much of anything except through a console logon because failsafe is also broken.

channingmoore
March 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
compiz dont work with some intel 845/945 series cards due to a bug in the driver, only solution is to remove compiz

... aaaannnnd, sure enough,

sudo aptitude remove compiz-wrapper

gets the job done. Fine for my case, because I'm using this for a home server where the graphics are nice but don't need to be pretty.

_jj
December 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
In the end I opted for a new cheap nvidia card which solved my graphics problems and gave me a reasonable performance boost, so it was probably worth it.