PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Tuner Recommendations Please

beachdaze
January 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm ready to give Mythbuntu a go. Problem is it's very difficult to find the Hauppage PVR analog series cards anymore. So I'm looking for a tuner that works well in both Ubuntu and Windows (XP or Vista) 32 bit or 64 bit will work for me.

Was looking into the HDHomerun, but think I would rather have a PCI or PCIe card. But I am open to any suggestions. Looking at a AverTV HD MCE A180.

System:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD 64x2 3800+ CPU
4GB DDR400 RAM
Nvidia 6600GT (256MB) Video
Creative X-FI platinum
2x300GB sata HDD (one with Windows, one for Mythbuntu)
1x1TB sata for storage

Never mind. I found a Hauppauge PVR 150 on ebay. Good price too!

newlinux
January 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
just curious as to what kind of signals you are trying to tune (analog cable, unencrypted cable QAM, OTA digital, all of the above). The Avermedia A180 and hdhomerun only tune digital signals (unencrypted QAM or OTA ATSC) where as the PVR-150 only does analog (NTSC) recordings, but can also capture analog signals as well. So you were looking at tuners that do very different things...

beachdaze
January 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
just curious as to what kind of signals you are trying to tune (analog cable, unencrypted cable QAM, OTA digital, all of the above). The Avermedia A180 and hdhomerun only tune digital signals (unencrypted QAM or OTA ATSC) where as the PVR-150 only does analog (NTSC) recordings, but can also capture analog signals as well. So you were looking at tuners that do very different things...

Thanks for the info. I will be hooking this to my Brighthouse (Time Warner) Cable. From what I've read the Hauppauge is the way to go.

newlinux
January 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM
One big thing to know - you won't be doing any HD quality capture from a PVR-150. It is standard definition only. All HD signals are digital. With the PVR-150 from cable you will be able to tune the basic analog stations (1-99 for most cable systems) but not any of their HD equivalents. Any other channels will need a set top box.

beachdaze
January 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Not an issue, but thanks again for the info. Just interested in the basic channels to watch. Recording may come later, but not a biggie for me right now. I'm not using HD for now. Maybe when the old TV dies I'll upgrade.