PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Marketing Concept: Preventing Identity Theft

darrensnospam
December 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I've been reading in the news lately about the growing concerns over identity theft. Computer users are concerned about viruses and keyloggers stealing their financial information.

What if there was an Ubuntu distribution that was available to ensure the privacy of transactions over the Internet?

Here's my vision:

It's available on a Live CD. Computer users would just boot the live CD which is guaranteed to not have any malicious software installed on it. They could trust that they are using a pure installation of an OS to conduct their financial transaction.

It's feature set is smaller than the standard distribution so that it will load faster and so that users cannot add programs or modify the environment while it's running. (Maybe allow them to add a printer.)

It is secure from a mount perspective. Meaning, users of the CD won't have to worry about software going back and forth between their hard drive and their live CD session.

After the Live CD boots, it could launch Firefox (an application most (?) Windows users have at least heard of) and bring them to a specially designed Ubuntu webpage discussing safe online transaction behavior. The web page can then link to a "Find out more about the full version of Ubuntu" link.

From a marketing perspective, the computer user community views Linux as more secure than Windows. Users could feel secure that every time they accessed their bank accounts, they don't have to worry if other software on their computer is spying on them.

From a usage perspective, it would certainly be the safest of online surfing behavior.

And finally, you could call it: Subuntu. For Secure Ubuntu. (Yes, I've seen people suggest other usages for Subuntu.) :D

Thoughts?

- darrensnospam

au_vijay
May 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Hai my friend,
I was also thinking of this concept. My bank provide net banking service, but I'm not using because of security concerns. I'm still searching for a OS that will help my cause.
If we can get a Live CD enough to bank or shop online without fear of risk then we can ask banks to sponsor such OS to the massess. I dont know which door I should knock.

prizrak
May 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Not all banks work well with Firefox/Linux. There are plenty of live CDs out there already, one of the best ones being Knopix. Those users who don't already know how to safely use online transactions won't bother with such a thing.

bonzodog
May 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
someone has beaten you to the punch, its called nUbuntu. Its a highly secure version of ubuntu using the high security toolset for the kernel.