PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu 8.10... No way!

bouss
January 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
AMD 2000XP, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics card, 2 HD (20, 320 GB)
I 'll try to be swift. I had Gnome which I did not really like, and cause some instability problems on my graphics, resulting to auto disable the effects and making my desktop ugly. So I decided to try KDE which looks better.
I tried to install KDE inside my Ubuntu 8.10. Failed on changing screen resolution to 1024x768 (always crashed)
I tried to install Kubuntu 8.10 from live CD. Failed (initframes, busybox etc.) Live CD never cooperated with my PC (Same goes for Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD)
I tried to install 8.04 and upgrade to 8.10. Failed. Upgrade manager stops at 99% when trying to complete the "Setting new software channels".
I have done 5-6 formats already trying to install kubuntu 8.10. It seems that Kubuntu 8.10 does not want to get into my PC. So I 'll pass.

Pumalite
January 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Have you tried the Alternate CD?

bouss
January 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I have 1 Mbit internet connection. Downloading a cd takes 2+ hours. Installing and updating takes more than 2 hours. I 've spend 15 hours to that last 3-4 days. I can 't go on with that. It is supposed to work as it used to. I don 't know why it does not... and I am not a software developer to find out.

P.S. Success??? I installed the upgrade using the terminal commands given for network version. I hope this will work