PDA

View Full Version : [PHP] Class variables

pokerbirch
January 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, i did this in Python with PyCurl but now i've found out that the person i'm writing it for wants it in PHP. ](*,)

Basic problem is setting up curl so that i can create an instance in the class constructor and keep it until the class deconstructor is called. The question is: how do i make the curl instance available to all functions within the class? I've chopped out all the curl_setopt() stuff as it's not relevent to my problem:

class curly {
/*
NOTE: these all fail due to syntax error = unexpected '('
$ch = curl_init();
var $ch = curl_init();
public $ch = curl_init();
*/
function __construct() {
// setup curl
$ch = curl_init();
}

function __destruct() {
// clean up
curl_close($ch); // FAIL = "not a valid curl handle"
}
}

Compyx
January 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
You're creating a local variable in __construct(), which goes out of scope as soon as __construct() reaches its end.

To have $ch available inside all class methods, use '$this->ch'. I suggest reading up on PHP classes a bit: http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.php

constrictor
January 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ok, i did this in Python with PyCurl but now i've found out that the person i'm writing it for wants it in PHP. ](*,)

Basic problem is setting up curl so that i can create an instance in the class constructor and keep it until the class deconstructor is called. The question is: how do i make the curl instance available to all functions within the class? I've chopped out all the curl_setopt() stuff as it's not relevent to my problem:

class curly {
/*
NOTE: these all fail due to syntax error = unexpected '('
$ch = curl_init();
var $ch = curl_init();
public $ch = curl_init();
*/
function __construct() {
// setup curl
$ch = curl_init();
}

function __destruct() {
// clean up
curl_close($ch); // FAIL = "not a valid curl handle"
}
}

ok firstly you will have to define the scope of $ch with $this->ch and this will become available to all functions
as long as you call them with $this->ch.

And if you need to reference it outside of the class you will have to call it with for example where $mycurl is the new instance of your curly class.

$mycurl = new curly();
to reference the ch variable from that object you will call it using

$mycurl->ch;

so in effect you __construct should read something like this

function __construct() {
// setup curl
$this->ch = curl_init();
}