PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] strange installation error on 8.10

clark333
January 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hi, this problem is driving me round the bend:-

I'm trying to install 8.10 version. I put in my copy of Ubuntu in the drive (md5 checked, iso burned slow) then reboot. My PC picks up the cd - and proceeds to load the setup menu. I choose english, choose the option to install - and then after about 10 mins with the orange progress bar going good, i get this black screen with a list of initialised services entitled "fsck", the last item is blue tooth and all the items have a status of "ok" next to them. The installation pauses and im left looking at this screen.

Does anyone have any ideas before i tear my hair out (whats left of it!).

Pumalite
January 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Post your specs. Maybe a bad burn. Maybe little memory. Maybe difficult graphics.
Can you boot the Live CD to the Desktop?

kranny
January 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
try booting with the option acpi=off...and as pumalite said ur specs would be of more help to solve the issue

clark333
January 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I've just tried to install Linux Mint and the exact same problem happened. I was thinking it could be the bootskin and logon screen ammendment software that i've got installed (and using). Atleast I can rule out a bad CD, as i've md5'd and burned slow - more than one copy of iso. I've also tried a cover magazine dvd of ubuntu with same problem. Here is my specs guys:-

Ram - 2 gig
CPU - Intel core 2 cpu, 6600 @ 2.40Ghz
Hard disk - 350 GB
Mobo - Asus P5G-MX

Cant see any probs with my spec?

Your help is much appreiciated.

Pumalite
January 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Graphics?

clark333
January 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
graphics is NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT

clark333
January 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Just tried it again with my boot screen modification software uninstalled but the same thing keeps happening. Someone said for me to boot with the option acpi=off, i have no idea how to do this? It is freezing on the installation remember.

Pumalite
January 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM
http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/05/ubuntu-how-to-edit-grub-boot-parameters.html

clark333
January 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Ive read that link and im no further forward. From what i can gather, i have to edit the linux kernal somehow to make the installation work. This could be beyond my skill level :(

caljohnsmith
January 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
When you boot the Ubuntu CD, at the first main menu, how about pressing "F6"; that will give you the chance to type in "acpi=off" at the end of a long line of kernel parameters. Then try booting from the main menu, and let us know how it goes.

clark333
January 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hi again -

Ok, i've tried that with the acpi=off at the end of the string of code but it didnt resolve, it keeps stalling on a black screen with a list of services that have been initialised. I've never tried Linux before, so was desperate to see what it was like :(

Pumalite
January 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Here is a list of boot parameters that you can try; one at the time or in different combinations:
noapic nolapic acpi=off irqpoll pci=noacpi pnpbios=off all_generic_ide vga=0x317 vga=788 vga=789 vga=791