PDA

View Full Version : How many of you spend time in the support forums?

bigbrovar
January 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Ubuntuforums can be quite addictive. but most of the addiction as more to do with hanging out in the community discussions section.often i spend time here just going through the various interesting threads and point of views about FOSS and technology in general. however i always try to at least pay a visit to the support forums to see if there is any problem i can help with. yeah it can be boring and frustrating a times esp for someone with Linux knowledge of Linux (like me) but one thing i discovered is that no knowledge is too small. you would always find someone who has a problem you have come across and solved before. and its also a great place to learn by reading solutions provided to people you can learn more about Linux and how to trouble shoot. I always see it as more community duty to Ubuntu, so everyday at least once or twice i try browse the support section to see if there is any problem that i can help with. and where i find one i give my advise to the best of my knowledge and stay with the thread till i feel the problem is solved or if i cant solve it try keep with afloat with my post... this goes a long way in making the forum a great place and helping new users stay. beside it has a good feeling esp when you get to solve the problem. and get thanked for it. so i would encourage us to always spend some times at the support thread believe me it would mean a lot to the person in need.

treesurf
January 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I check the support forums a fair bit but even after 3 years using Ubuntu my Linux knowledge is still pretty poor (I'm lazy) so I don't often have much good advice to offer.

binbash
January 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
i do not hang on community discussion section, but i do hang on other sections.In my opinion ubuntuforums is way better than any linux book out there :)

Sealbhach
January 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I try to help in the Absolute Beginners as much as I can, it's my way to try and give something back in gratitude for my emancipation from Windows.

Sometimes though, I'm really tired after a day's work and I don't feel up to it - sometimes you have to wait around after suggesting something helpful to hear back whether it worked or not.

tariquepark
January 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Im a self confessed information geek! I LOVE the UF
i have found almost every issue i have faced right here and i check in almost daily. it doesnt stop there but, anything to do with science engineering etc. and my brain just sucks it right up :)

Sealbhach
January 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I was thinking we should have a monthly award for the most helpful forum member - someone who has helped beginners the most.

I know who I'd nominate.

ThePinkPoo
January 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I try to pass on some of the things I have learned over the years from my experiences. Just the little things to get people going, drivers and graphics are the big ones. But since I started with 5.04 things have come a long way to where I don't help as much

BTW, I created a new username to consolidate using the same one on forums I go to, previous one on the forums was LittleLORDevil.

Joeb454
January 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I was thinking we should have a monthly award for the most helpful forum member - someone who has helped beginners the most.

I know who I'd nominate.

We did have one once, though as the forum grew I think it became harder to keep implemented. By all means suggest it in FF&H though :)

And to the OP, I never go in support forums ;) j/k I do frequent them, though it depends on my mood, sometimes I'll just come on and check Testimonials & The Cafe etc.

sydbat
January 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I try to look at/help out in Absolute Beginners each day. Not sure how helpful I am though...

I usually hang around the Cafe the rest of the time.

@ThePinkPoo - :lolflag: Love the name!!!

ThePinkPoo
January 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I try to look at/help out in Absolute Beginners each day. Not sure how helpful I am though...

I usually hang around the Cafe the rest of the time.

@ThePinkPoo - :lolflag: Love the name!!!
It's been with me for awhile, I don't know why I used a different on for this forum...

lukjad007
January 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I do spend time in the support forums, I just don't have the knowledge to do as much help as I would like and have outgrown the need to tell the OP that I don't know what to do. ;)