PDA

View Full Version : How efficient are Flex, Yacc and Memphis?

TheMyself
January 9th, 2009, 06:54 AM
As I search the internet, I can't find any project which is mentioned to be made using Flex, Yacc, etc. So, I would like to know how a compiler/interpreter made using the above tools compares to a similar one made "by hand". Also is there any enterprise or scientific software which is developed using these tools?

CptPicard
January 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
You probably don't see them mentioned explicitly because they are such core tools.

As to the "efficiency" you need to refer to the actual parsing algorithms implemented -- I am sure the algorithm implementations themselves are very good (or someone would have already fixed them to be better). Parsing itself is such a well understood problem that there is no black magic involved that would make a handcrafted solution better -- it is likely to be worse.

SupaSonic
January 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I've used Flex for a couple of weeks. It seemed to me more like a toy then an efficient tool. I mean you can do 90% of the stuff you need in 10% time, but the last 10% will take 90% of your time.

It didn't have the the necessary amount of control over, say, display of components. I was trying to make a sort of table where some rows use colspan (speaking in html terms) but eventually I just gave up. Couldn't do it. And it seemed like a trivial task too. Whereas some complex stuff is very easy to do in Flex.

But maybe it was just my lack of experience, who knows.

Tony Flury
January 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
SupaSonic : I am guessing that the OP is refering to the Flex tool for building and parsing launguage definition - you can use it along with tools such as Bison and Yacc to build your own compilers for standard or alternative languages.

I guess the Flex that you are refering to is adifferent beast although : Adobe Flex I guess for building Flash applications.

TheMyself
January 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Parsing itself is such a well understood problem that there is no black magic involved that would make a handcrafted solution better -- it is likely to be worse.

That's one thing I needed to know. Thank you. Would you advise me of a text/reference on the theory of these operations?

CptPicard
January 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
That's one thing I needed to know. Thank you. Would you advise me of a text/reference on the theory of these operations?

I have been looking for one myself, actually, because parsers are one giant black hole in my knowledge unfortunately, but my impression that for example this

http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Principles-Techniques-Tools-2nd/dp/0321486811

might be good.