PDA

View Full Version : Screenlets vs. gDesklets

Lifyre
January 9th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Which is better? Screenlets, gDesklets, or other?

binbash
January 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM
screenlets is better but as far as i know it is not developed anymore and some developers started a project called universal applets.for more go to compiz-fusion forums

chamber
January 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Conky all the way.

Sealbhach
January 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Conky all the way.

+1

Conky FTW!!

Those other things are just clutter, IMHO.

amitabhishek
January 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Neither including those silly docks! They are good only to show off those desktop screenies. They clutter the desktop and look ugly after a while.

UbuWu
January 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Universal applets looks very promising.

bryonak
January 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
gDesklets is a very old project and all of its developers have moved on to something different. I don't know the exact reasons, but it has been considered dead for quite some time now.

Screenlets was intended to replace gDesklets and has come a long way (stable and efficient in Intrepid).
But in 2008 infighting among the developers broke out about some commit, behaviour and copyright issues.
The project got forked into Universal Applets, which lets other GNOME applications like the panel include widgets (mainly Screenlets, but others are planned).
Additionally the main developer for Screenlets left, so it is more or less stopped at the moment. There are still some bug fixes being made and it works very well for many users, but it's expected to die out in the future.

Universal Applets is still quite young and unstable, but will probably become the standard "widget" framework after Screenlets.

EDIT: looks like some german developers have picked up on gDesklets again. gdesklets.de (http://www.gdesklets.de)

SomeGuyDude
January 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Conky all the way.

I use Conky and have no screenlets going, but are the two really considered comparable? Can conky do all the things screenlets are built for? If so I'm CLEARLY not using mine to its full potential.

gabhla
January 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I agree with whoever said neither. As a matter of personal taste, I don't like all the clutter on my desktop.

Lifyre
January 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM
See this is why I ask you guys things :-p

Also Conky is a system monitor, which does 90% of what I wanted the widgets for.

-Lify

Sealbhach
January 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I use Conky and have no screenlets going, but are the two really considered comparable? Can conky do all the things screenlets are built for? If so I'm CLEARLY not using mine to its full potential.

You can get Conky to do all sorts of things:

system monitor, weather, RSS, email notifier, music playing now...

Probably more stuff.