PDA

View Full Version : Mass file rename/manipulate based on inherited directory name - help please!

zorblart
January 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hi all,

I am wanting to write/adapt a little piece of code to clean up my media files that does the following:
-enters a directory
-renames all .avi and .nfo files according to the name of the directory they are in
-if there are two .avi files, then rename one blah-1.avi, and the other blah2.avi
-deletes everything else in the directory, preserving all .idx, .sub. and .srt files

After UTFSE, I came across http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=398983, and have done a partial adaption to suit the above requirements.

Thus far I have the command:
find -type d | while read d; do cd "$d"; c=1; for i in *.avi; do if [ ! -f "$i" ]; then continue; fi; r="${PWD##*/}.avi"; mv -f "$i" "$r"; rm -rf Sample; ((c++)); done; cd "$OLDPWD"; done

Unfortunately I am way out of my depth, having only intermediate experience with some of the finer points the bash command line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
zorblart

slavik
January 9th, 2009, 05:17 AM
start with a script that does it in a single directory. then work from there. baby steps :)

ghostdog74
January 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM
you can try the -execdir option of gnu find command. check the man page for more info.

zorblart
January 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have settled on a rather crude appropriation of that code i mentioned earlier.

Thus:

## avi
find -type d | while read d; do cd "$d"; c=1; for i in *.avi; do if [ ! -f "$i" ]; then continue; fi; r="${PWD##*/}.avi"; mv -f "$i" "$r"; ((c++)); done; cd "$OLDPWD"; done
## nfo
find -type d | while read d; do cd "$d"; c=1; for n in *.nfo; do if [ ! -f "$n" ]; then continue; fi; r="${PWD##*/}.nfo"; mv -f "$n" "$r"; ((c++)); done; cd "$OLDPWD"; done
## sub
find -type d | while read d; do cd "$d"; c=1; for s in *.sub; do if [ ! -f "$s" ]; then continue; fi; r="${PWD##*/}.sub"; mv -f "$s" "$r"; ((c++)); done; cd "$OLDPWD"; done
## idx
find -type d | while read d; do cd "$d"; c=1; for x in *.idx; do if [ ! -f "$x" ]; then continue; fi; r="${PWD##*/}.idx"; mv -f "$x" "$r"; ((c++)); done; cd "$OLDPWD"; done
## srt
find -type d | while read d; do cd "$d"; c=1; for t in *.srt; do if [ ! -f "$t" ]; then continue; fi; r="${PWD##*/}.srt"; mv -f "$t" "$r"; ((c++)); done; cd "$OLDPWD"; done

The sticking points for me now are, directories with two .avi files, and the removal of all non avi/sub/idx/srt.

I checked out the execdir option, and it seems useful - but i will need to say something like 'all files/folders that do not have an avi/sub/idx/srt option must be deleted'.

I think this would be run after that batch of commands I have listed above. I was thinking about a for-do loop that says something similar. Would this be a good idea?

My only concerns here being the inordinate amount of time i have already spent manually renaming all the directories :) i.e. i'd like to hack up a script/set of commands rather quickly.

Thanks again.

zorblart
January 10th, 2009, 06:08 AM
After much reading, I am thinking of an if condition that does basically 'if there are more than one of files *.avi, then append integers beginning with 1 to the end of the directory name; else proceed with standard rename'. After this portion of the script completes, I'm thinking that it is then I insert something that 'recursively delete all files not having extension X Y or Z'.

Am totally stuck as to how to do/integrate this though.

slavik
January 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM
simple way: (syntax may be wrong)

if (( $(ls *.avi | wc -l) <= 2 )) then
#standard rename;
else
#numbered rename;
fi;

zorblart
January 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Am now having syntax problems - arr!

#!/bin/bash

find -type d | while read d; do
cd "$d"
if (( $(ls ./*.avi | wc -l) <= 2 )); then

i="$ls *.avi"
r="${PWD##*/}.avi"
mv -i "$i" "$r"
((c++))
#fi
fi
done

and i get
mv: cannot stat ` *.avi': No such file or directory

for each directory
i.e. it grabs the dir list, but cannot cd into the dir - even when i cut down the script!

Any help would be cool.

Cracauer
January 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM
You want
i="$(ls *.avi)"

Not $ls