PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Delete swap partiton

_TUX_
January 9th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Hey, I triple booted Vista, XP, and Ubuntu 8.10 and Ubuntu can see the other partitions but xp and vista cant see the Ubuntu partition. I already tried the ifs driver but it didn't work so i decided to make a shared partition but I already reached the maximum of 4 partitions. So i wanted to ask if it is safe to delete the swap partition? I don't use hibernation, just suspend.

cdtech
January 9th, 2009, 05:03 AM
It's safe to delete, although the kernel is still implementing the swap within the code so it's always good to have some swap space. You can just use a swap file rather than a partition.

Tim Sharitt
January 9th, 2009, 05:05 AM
If you have plenty of physical memory, it should be safe to delete it. However, with no swap, when you run out of physical memory you could run into problems.

_TUX_
January 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
uummm... How do you make a swap file and not a partition?

logos34
January 9th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Yes, you can delete it (I assume you have plenty of ram, like >1 GB). Just make sure to comment the line in /etc/fstab so linux doesn't try to mount it again

Better yet, why don't you delete it, then create an extended partition, then create a new one on a logical partition inside, along with the others? You can make practically as many logical partitions inside as you want. (up to 63)

_TUX_
January 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Yes i have 2GB of ram, how do you make a logical partition?

logos34
January 9th, 2009, 05:27 AM
use gparted in ubuntu

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/generalities/gparted.htm
(->'creating a new partition')

cdtech
January 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
uummm... How do you make a swap file and not a partition?

The advantage of a swap file is that you don't need to find an empty partition or repartition a disk to add additional swap space. If your still interested, here is how to create a 1GB file, type:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=1048576
/swapfile is the name of the swap file, and the count of 1048576 is the size in kilobytes (i.e. 1GB). Similarly, mount it using the swapon command:

swapon /swapfile
The /etc/fstab entry for a swap file would look like this:

/swapfile none swap sw 0 0

Hope this helps.......