PDA

View Full Version : Wireless electricity?

Darkade
January 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I stumbled into this http://www.powermatusa.com/ it's a "mat" that charges your devices wireless. I really don't understand how does that works. But I sure want one :lolflag: except that the device support is kindda narrow.

KiwiNZ
January 9th, 2009, 03:02 AM
wireless eletrcity?

Yikes you wouldn't want to get between the sender and the reciever ...... shocking:P

cardinals_fan
January 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Not exactly: http://gadgetress.freedomblogging.com/2009/01/07/powermat-charging-gadgets-without-any-cables-or-electricity/7722/

Darkade
January 9th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Not exactly: http://gadgetress.freedomblogging.com/2009/01/07/powermat-charging-gadgets-without-any-cables-or-electricity/7722/

@_@ Wooow so they turn magnetism into electricity

Grant A.
January 9th, 2009, 03:16 AM

That won't work too well during the Earth's magnetic pole shift in 2012, nor during the sunspot high in 2010.

Dr Small
January 9th, 2009, 03:17 AM
How did you think electricity was generated?

matt79
January 9th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Well I don't think they are a really good idea I seemed to remember something about arthritis and magnets. I think they use them to help cure or control (or in our case get arthritis)
I think I will stick to plugin

Darkade
January 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM
How did you think electricity was generated?
I know you can generate magnetism with electricity and electricity with magnetism. But have you seen the device? It's really small. And all the generators I know have at least one mobile part, so I'm really surprised of the whole idea.

It seems really practical, and it has a lot of innovation is behind this idea. My personal feeling about it ;)

Dr Small
January 9th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Well I don't think they are a really good idea I seemed to remember something about arthritis and magnets. I think they use them to help cure or control (or in our case get arthritis)
I think I will stick to plugin
Magnets help arthritis

kevdog
January 9th, 2009, 04:07 AM
What I would like to see is a remote IV -- Like an IV without a tubing. Start the flow from the bag in one place -- and infuse in another -- That would be cool!

Dr Small
January 9th, 2009, 04:23 AM
What I would like to see is a remote IV -- Like an IV without a tubing. Start the flow from the bag in one place -- and infuse in another -- That would be cool!
That's called teleporting, and they are still working on that one :)

Paqman
January 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Nope. Magnetism is electricity. It's the same "stuff". If you move a conductor through a magnetic field (or, as in the case of this device, the field through the conductor) an electrical current will flow through it. It's the same principle that makes generators, electric motors, RFID tags and lots of other cool stuff work.

MikeTheC
January 9th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Induction.

Three examples:

1. Put a specially-designed fluorescent lightbulb in a microwave.

2. Walk through any pair of uprights at the exit of a store with an active anti-theft device.

3. Take two pairs of phone wires and run them, untwisted, in parallel with each other for several yards. Connect two different phones on one end and connect them to two different phone lines on the other. Make two different phone calls, and listen to each call on each opposite line. That's called "crosstalk" and is a form of induction.

sofasurfer
January 9th, 2009, 05:26 AM
An example of wireless electricity is an electric toothbrush. The toothbrush has a hole in the end. When you place it on the charger, the hole fits over a peg on the charger. These parts are all plastic. I assume that the peg in the charger contains an electro-magnet and the hole in the toothbrush contains a wire coil which generates electricity when placed over the magnetic coil in the charger. This charges the battery.

I just learned about this not to long ago when I got my first electric toothbrush. Thought it was strange that it would charge with no metal parts in contact with each other. Might be simplicity to you but I thought it was dang cool to learn about.

poebae
January 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
An example of wireless electricity is an electric toothbrush. The toothbrush has a hole in the end. When you place it on the charger, the hole fits over a peg on the charger. These parts are all plastic. I assume that the peg in the charger contains an electro-magnet and the hole in the toothbrush contains a wire coil which generates electricity when placed over the magnetic coil in the charger. This charges the battery.

I just learned about this not to long ago when I got my first electric toothbrush. Thought it was strange that it would charge with no metal parts in contact with each other. Might be simplicity to you but I thought it was dang cool to learn about.
Damn, you just beat me to it! :(

MikeTheC
January 9th, 2009, 06:00 AM

But how is that wireless? The internals of the brush are powered through the on-board power source.

Paqman
January 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM
But how is that wireless? The internals of the brush are powered through the on-board power source.

But that power source (the battery) is charged wirelessly by it's charger.

pp.
January 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
That won't work too well during the Earth's magnetic pole shift in 2012, nor during the sunspot high in 2010.

Be prepared, then, to live completely without any devices running on power from your wall socket at those times, because electricity is generated and transformed using magnetic fields.

Trail
January 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Wireless speakers please.

Edit: Nuclear powered ones will do as well.

leg
January 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
If you think this is a good idea stick the term "scavenged energy" into google. That, I think, is a really great concept.

smoker
January 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
can't wait for the 'high voltage' version to come out:-)

seriously though, could this be developed to recharge an electric car on an adapted parking space, or is this only feasible for 'low power' gadgets?

jespdj
January 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Magnets help arthritis
Don't believe any kind of "medical advice" given by random persons. Far too many people are clueless on the topic of health and far too easily believe in any health claims that random people make, that's why unfortunately it's so easy for quacks to make money off of people with bogus "healing" methods. There is no scientific evidence that magnets help in any way to improve health.

It already exists, there was a demo some time back of scientists who had a regular lightbulb without a wire.

c2lhu
January 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
ever heard of Nicola Tesla?? :)

pp.
January 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM

seriously though, could this be developed to recharge an electric car on an adapted parking space, or is this only feasible for 'low power' gadgets?

That's been done. There's an article (http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/energie_elektrotechnik/bericht-33093.html)dating back to 2004. It's in German and the bus being mentioned ran in the City of Lucerne, Switzerland.

ghindo
January 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9936/teslahv1.jpg

Silly mortals. Are you just learning of wireless electricity? Come visit with me at one of my salons and I can teach you more about the music of the spheres.

matt79
January 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Don't believe any kind of "medical advice" given by random persons. Far too many people are clueless on the topic of health and far too easily believe in any health claims that random people make, that's why unfortunately it's so easy for quacks to make money off of people with bogus "healing" methods. There is no scientific evidence that magnets help in any way to improve health.

Well mine was not really random my dad works in the medical field. The reason that I brought up the fact is that magnets line up the cells in the body. Kinda how they line up the electrons in metal to make magnets. You all I assume have turn stuff like nails and other metal objects into magnets. Can we really say that it does nothing to us being around magnets?

Mason Whitaker
January 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I remember an article I read somewhere that someone managed to power a lightbulb using radio waves. I'll try to pull up the article...

mp3_freak_721
January 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Have you been following CES? Some company has a working "wireless charging" demo there. iPod, some Motorola cell phone, a flashlight, Samsung P2, all being charged wirelessly. All of those devices are specially modified for the show though.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/fulton-innovation-has-a-wireless-power-coming-out-party-at-ces/

Seq
January 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have a "Wireless" Wii remote charger that charges the Wii remotes without having to take the rubber covers off. Pretty slick.

'Generic' wireless charging like the linked-to powermat would be pretty slick to have (The side of my desk has six or seven charge cords on it). I would expect many devices would need a new battery or some sort of adapter installed within them until (if ever) they support this out of the box.

Dr Small
January 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
It already exists, there was a demo some time back of scientists who had a regular lightbulb without a wire.

Not scientists, but the geeks have already invented it!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/9b60/

:P

Skripka
January 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Not scientists, but the geeks have already invented it!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/9b60/

:P

There's way too much neat crap on ThinkGeek.

Capt. Mac
January 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM

I've been waiting for the cordless hose for years, that's when I'll be impressed.

chrisinspace
January 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM

As c21hu alluded, Tesla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla) was doing experiments with this in the 1890's.

From Wikipedia:

Tesla demonstrated "the transmission of electrical energy without wires" that depends upon electrical conductivity as early as 1891. The Tesla effect (named in honor of Tesla) is the archaic term for an application of this type of electrical conduction (that is, the movement of energy through space and matter; not just the production of voltage across a conductor).

Dr Small
January 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've been waiting for the cordless hose for years, that's when I'll be impressed.
A cordless hose (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hose) is a contradiction in terms. :p

adalal
August 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Nope. Magnetism is electricity. It's the same "stuff". If you move a conductor through a magnetic field (or, as in the case of this device, the field through the conductor) an electrical current will flow through it. It's the same principle that makes generators, electric motors, RFID tags and lots of other cool stuff work.

yeah, but using something on the lines of a magnet could potentially be dangerous for the hard drive, and of course, to heart patients.

But on those lines, http://www.cellphones.ca/news/post002384/ .. apparently there is work going on...

kevdog
August 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Does the right hand rule for magnetic field generation apply in the Southern hemisphere, or is like the Correlis Effect where its backwards?

chris200x9
August 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM

+1

I was scanning through this thread and I was like "with a thread title like this how have I not seen a mention of Telsa yet?" :guitar:

Regenweald
August 25th, 2009, 10:59 PM
If Tesla had won out against Edison, this thread would be about that new 'wired' gizmo to charge your portable devices :) The man was of the purest genius.

Chronon
August 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Be prepared, then, to live completely without any devices running on power from your wall socket at those times, because electricity is generated and transformed using magnetic fields.Be prepared, then, to live completely without any devices running on power from your wall socket at those times, because electricity is generated and transformed using magnetic fields.

I hope you're joking. Do you think that just because the Earth's dipole moment will disappear for a while that all other magnetic systems will undergo a similar change? Dynamos usually use powerful permanents magnets and solenoids rotating with respect to each other so that a maximum change in magnetic flux occurs. The change in the leading order of Earth's magnetic field from dipole to quadrupole will not affect the operation of man made dynamos. It will lead to things like auroras occurring in temperate zones and increased cosmic radiation.

*edit: I notice the tone of this sounds harsher than I intended it. I am honestly curious about what led to the quoted statement, though.

Chronon
August 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM
If Tesla had won out against Edison, this thread would be about that new 'wired' gizmo to charge your portable devices :) The man was of the purest genius.

He mostly did. AC distribution systems were patented by Tesla/Westinghouse. If Edison had his way we would be using DC.