PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Decreasing Gnome login time

blazemore
January 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Is there a way to speed up the process from GDM login screen, to fully functional desktop?
With XFCE, and the same startup apps, it starts up much quicker.

Any ideas?

blazemore
January 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
*bump* tiem

ingegnerlillo
January 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
*bump* tiem

For me, removing any desktop effects at login works very well...

MighMoS
January 9th, 2009, 04:26 AM
If you've got RAM to spare, preload works great.
sudo apt-get install preload

Also, you can disable some items in Preferences-->Sessions if you feel you wont ever need them.

oldos2er
January 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Autologin.

adamlau
January 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Nothing. Really. You can do all you want, lose compositing, disable everything you can possibly disable and Xfce with GNOME services launched at startup will always be faster (LXDE and others, faster still) upon login. Running 8.10 + GNOME off 4GB (2.7GB detected), P4 3.0 and an Mtron 7500 SSD on XFS (noatime, -l size=64m,lazy-count=1) with logdev to a third-gen VelociRaptor will still result in mouse cursor spin upon login (and noticeable latency on the same system versus Xfce). Bottom line: Stick with Xfce if GNOME login time and overall resource consumption bother you to that extreme. It bothers me, so I prefer Xfce over GNOME across any and all distros.

blazemore
January 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm wondering, could you use XFCE with:
Gnome-panel
Nautilus
Metacity

So essentially you'd be running Gnome, since XFCE uses GTK?
Would this be faster than Gnome?
I've got my boottime down to 19s, so this lag at login is really noticable.

adamlau
January 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have not tried that combo and am unsure about integration, though I do not see why you would use Nautilus over Thunar. Search is the only useful feature lacking in Thunar, but that is easily remedied with a UCA. In fact, many users transition to Xfce in an attempt to move away from Nautilus. If you really want the look and feel of GNOME, then I suggest you take a look at Xfce 4.6 Hopper. It still needs work, but is stable enough for me to use on my secondary PC :) .

Tomatz
January 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
If you have a dual core cpu, this will speed up the boot process:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/rc

find the line CONCURRENCY=none and change it to: CONCURRENCY=shell

Reboot to see the changes.

More here:

http://tuxtraining.com/2008/09/28/how-to-make-ubuntu-extremely-fast

adamlau
January 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
What you can do to improve the responsiveness of GNOME is to compile its source packages with unnecessary (to you) features removed and compiler optimizations flagged and installing from there. For example, I am running Ubuntu Minimal + XFCE 4.4.3. I compiled and installed the latest Thunar from SVN (0.9.92svn-29116) with minimal options. The result? A noticeable difference in Thunar startup and directory load times.