PDA

View Full Version : Network Security by "Professionals"

Snogus
January 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi all,
IT Guys running my school network recently tried to trial a new network security program. The idea of it is to monitor all the computers desktops in any given computer lab at one time. The whole idea was to stop students playing games and looking up illicit material in school. Only problem is the program they decided to use is open source freeware, half the school had the client for it within a week and started doing it back to the IT people.
I wrote a script up in Visual Basic to keep the process of the monitoring tool closed, allowing you to watch the IT Peoples computers but to them yours appears shutdown.
Such is the brilliance of the IT Guys at my school, a handful of us ****** them over within a day and within a week the year 7s could do it.

Anyone else ever seen such brilliance in paid professionals?

Tubes6al4v
January 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
As much as I can appreciate the humer in it (and yes, they are idiots), I just want to put out the usual disclaimer: Some organizations don't have a sense of humer. If you could tell a trusted professor about it, then maybe you could demonstrate it publicly... embarassingly. Or you could cover your tracks I guess ;)

hyper_ch
January 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
btw, circumventing of your school security measures is nothing that is being supported here.

Snogus
January 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah i know what you guys mean. I'm on good grounds with the IT guys because of a flaw in their internet blocking i alerted them to (proxy sites were blocked, but if you just grabbed some source code of one off the net at home and ran it in frontpage it'd work).
The funny thing is that the three of us that work together on bringing the system down are only in it for the game, none of us actually do anything (except for when one kid remote shutdown 2 labs trying to work it on one PC, that was good laughs). We tell the IT guys most of their problems but you gotta keep some to yourself so you can keep em' on the edge of their seats.

Good people (except the guy i suspect of Satanism, he looks sooooo evil) just not the sort of people our school should have hired.

cdenley
January 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Anyone else ever seen such brilliance in paid professionals?

When I was in high school, they had a network admin user called "test" with the same password as the local windows user "administrator". They also kept very sensitive information about everyone in an access database on a network share.

bodhi.zazen
January 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Moved to the cafe as it is not really a support thread.