PDA

View Full Version : [other] unetbootin questions

RealG187
January 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have a few questions about unetbootin I would like to ask.

The first is could I use unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick of a Windows install CD. For example, if I need to install Windows on a machine without a CD drive (for example, a UMPC). Or does unetbootin only work for Linux?

Secondly, I notice Ubuntu 8.10 comes with a "Make bootable USB stick" option in the administration menu. How does this program compare to unetbootin? Is it based on unetbootin? Would I still need unetbootin? I know unetbootin lets you pick other distros and ISOs (possibly Windows as I said above), does the program included in 8.10 only do Ubuntu? Also, to make an Ubuntu stick you need an Ubuntu ISO on your hard drive, but the program included doesn't seem to need it as Ubuntu is already on the hard drive...

And finally, is there a way I can make a "Dual boot" USB stick, like if I wanted to use two different versions of Ubuntu or another distro?

theApokalypsis
January 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I know I tried using it for a Vista x64 instal iso, definitily didnt go well or boot at all. Have not really used the Ubuntu bootable usb utility as unetbootin you can use for numerous distros :).

RealG187
January 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I have a 4GB SDHC card that I use as a flash drive that none of my devices reads and was wondering if I could use it for unetbootin.

With 4GB I would have enough space to out the boot CDs for Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, Mepis, React OS, and the Ubuntu GTK remix (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/ubuntu-gtk12-remix/)...