PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] does this only install on ubuntu + derivatives or also on Debian & Co?

Ubayd
January 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
My question is whether Edubuntu installs only on Ubuntu (and derivatives - official, unofficial, I don't know). I could try it out and find out the answer myself, by installing on Debian but it's acting very annoying and I haven't even had the chance to insert the Edubuntu CD in! So I'd just like to know if you can help me please :)

Can it work on other systems like Debian or something Debian-based like Knoppix, or on something like Fedora or Puppy Linux?

If not, can individual software be installed, even still? (on Debian/Knoppix/Puppy Linux)

Thanks! :)

Here's some background info: I have another very old laptop back from 1999/2000: the Toshiba S1800-254. I had XP on it but decided it would be worth wiping all of it and installing Linux on it so my kid siblings could mess about on it and they could use some free educational software + it would give the computer a new life, and should be much faster.

I can't install Ubuntu or even Xubuntu (which is meant to support old computers, I heard) on it! I don't know what's wrong: it has 30GB HD space, 504MB RAM, 1GHz Intel Celeron processor, and some weirdly named graphics card called Trident Cyber ALADDiN-T (I think). Basically, if I install Ubuntu doesn't even reach installation, and Xubuntu installs but what happens after that is a blank screen appears. I tried to find solutions to this but few people seem to know, and I can't find a solution that works for me.

I installed Debian and it works on the computer, but Debian seems crazy and has too many problems compared to Ubuntu (e.g. when I try to edit xorg.conf to fix my extremely slow mouse touch-pad problem, it throws an error when I restart, and I don't even know if the solution worked :P )... So, I might change the system to Puppy Linux or whatever else I feel is better.

Ubayd
January 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM
i tested it on FreeSpire and it doesn't load up automatically and install them as packages. Interesting considering FreeSpire is based on Ubuntu 7.04 or something... But I think they can still be installed individually from tar files (or whatever they are)

Ubayd
January 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM
what surprises me is how stable FreeSpire is on my old Toshiba S. if anyone wants to know any good "alternatives" (some might well be the same software) to Edubuntu there's:

http://edu.kde.org/
http://os.cqu.edu.au/oslinux/README.html