PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A Simple question about installation

Dobbie03
January 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I am going to go with ubuntu 100% on my current pc which is running side by side Vista Home Professional and Ubuntu8.10.

To do a complete install and have Ubuntu only is it as simple as formating my hardrive and on reboot inserting my Ubuntu disc?

spcwingo
January 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
You can also format from the Ubuntu live disc, so no need to format beforehand. If you need any help on how to set up partitions, don't hesitate to ask.

Dobbie03
January 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks very much for your help. We may have to do it via msn or something, I am very new to Ubuntu\Linux so any help would be nice.

theozzlives
January 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Boot up live Ubuntu CD/go to system>administration>partition editor/delete your NTFS partition/resize your ext3 partition. That should do it.

kranny
January 8th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Put your Live Cd and wait until your Partition manager prompts.Select Manual Partitioning.Delete your vista partition and format it to ext3,and select the partition on which you should install ubuntu

Method 2:
Just delete the vista partition You have from partition editor(You can found it at System--->Administration-->Partition editor)

Format your ntfs partition to ext3 and edit your menu.lst to delete your vista entries

spcwingo
January 8th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Just don't forget to make a swap partition approx 1.5-2 times the amount of ram installed.;)

Dobbie03
January 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Ok man this is getting pretty technical for me, can someone explain it in simple terms for a simple long term Windows user.

Dobbie03
January 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM
also I dont see a Partition mamnager do I need to be logged in as an admin and if so how do I do that?

melojo
January 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Boot from the ubuntu cd and during the partition part choose to use the entire disk. It will do everything for you.

Dobbie03
January 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Boot from the ubuntu cd and during the partition part choose to use the entire disk. It will do everything for you.

That sounds like the trick, thanks mate.

kranny
January 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
also I dont see a Partition mamnager do I need to be logged in as an admin and if so how do I do that?

It isnt installed by default..Install it from Synaptic manager(you can find it at System-->Administration--->Synaptic Manager)
find the package "gparted" and install it..And there u go

Dobbie03
January 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys I am now 100% on Ubuntu.

Goodbye windows forever!!