PDA

View Full Version : I'm a human ad...

TBOL3
January 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Okay, so I'm a person that is against making advertisements of ubuntu, and linux. But I think this idea is interesting, and would be fun to do.

So, I'm tired of all these commercials saying I'm a PC, or I'm a Mac. How about one that actually says, "I'm a human, and I use ubuntu". It would be easy to pull off to. We could get several people from around the world to use their home video cameras to shoot them saying it, and then we could have a little explanation at the end, saying what ubuntu is. Something along the lines of:

"Millions of people around the world get together to make a better place, to make a computer that you can use. Ubuntu, Linux for human beings. (Got to ubuntu.com for more information)." Sure, it wouldn't go on television, or even be a real ad, but I think it would be fun to do.

cardinals_fan
January 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
How about "I'm human, and I use what works for me. You can do the same."?

Rokurosv
January 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
How about "I'm human, and I use what works for me. You can do the same."?

+1 I bet it would be pretty cheap to make :P

WA_Garrett
January 8th, 2009, 06:30 AM
That's not actually a bad idea. We would just need to get a bunch of people together, have someone edit the video, and throw some good background music in behind it.

One little tid bit of a detail though, does anyone know where everyone can upload the videos to so that the editor can take them off and edit them?

Polygon
January 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
im tired of these ads in general. can we just let them please die?

sharon.gmc
January 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Hahaha. . . seems like a great idea to me. I'm a human.

Nevon
January 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I like Cardinals_fan's idea. However, if you'd just let random people around the globe record themselves using their own video cameras you'd get **** quality, which would make it seem very unprofessional.

dannytatom
January 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I like Cardinals_fan's idea. However, if you'd just let random people around the globe record themselves using their own video cameras you'd get **** quality, which would make it seem very unprofessional.

Or more personal. :O

theApokalypsis
January 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I think having it related to just ubuntu would be restrictive eh?

still referencing ubuntu of course :), but perhaps a more general colloboration focusing on GNU/Linux.

p.s.

i cant stand those commercials. i guess thats why im glad im finally cancelling my cable subscription :D

Sealbhach
January 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'd be in favour of remaining aloof from this nonsense but if there were to be an ad I would prefer the "I'm a mac, I'm a PC(wtf?), we are Linux" routine.

bryonak
January 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Recurring discussions, anyone?

The two best ideas I've read in other threads so far:

1. The two well known (stereotyped) guys, "I'm a Mac", "I'm a PC" talk about something. Enters a small girl, two boys playing with a ball, an old women, a worker, a businessman, a police officer, a house wife, about a dozen people. Everyone looks different, has a different tone of skin, clothing "class" etc. "And WE are Linux!".
Though at this point one should make them do something smart/interesting, not just let it stop and display a slogan.

2. The two well known (stereotyped) guys, "I'm a Mac", "I'm a PC" talk about something. The sound volume gets turned down, their voices become a murmuring. The camera slowly zooms out of the set, showing the director, the sound guys, the makeup crew etc. All wear a t-shirt saying "I'm Linux".
Then some kind of slogan: "Linux. Making everything work" or something more well-worded.

Now for an Ubuntu specific ad, I like cardinals_fan's idea. It matches the "grassroots" way of spreading Linux.
I'm not sure about TBOL3's idea, since it is very similar to Microsoft's campaign. ("I'm a PC. I'm a PC and do ...")

Swagman
January 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Borrowing from the above posts you could have the two guys arguing..

"I'm a Pc"

I'm a Mac

And a crowd of people gather around... Then all shout the two down with

"And we're Linux"

Overhead shot of the crowd form into rotating Ubuntu Logo to the boot tune.

Gruff Manly voice .. "Linux... Computing for Humans".

Skripka
January 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
im tired of these ads in general. can we just let them please die?

Yes, please.

razerbug
January 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'm a PC, and a Mac (unfortunatly), and Linux... do I have MPD?

I can edit video and music, I can do 2D motion graphics for video (such as spinning logos), I also know about codec compression etc... so I'd be happy to help if people wanted to make ad's and release them on the net.

The irony would be that in order to do any of the above I'd be using my Vista editing suite ;)

MaxIBoy
January 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Finally, someone else understands!

The idea I came up with was this:

Person stands against blank white background.
PERSON: I am not my computer.
Camera pans to the right, showing a computer.
PERSON (gesturing to the right): This is my computer.
Cut to screen footage of 3D modeling with Blender or something.
PERSON (voiceover): My computer does exactly what I want it to.
Cut to busy classroom scene, where a student is working at a laptop. Student looks up to the camera.
STUDENT: I am not my computer. This is my computer.
Cut to compiz footage, with several different DEs and themes.
STUDENT (voiceover): My computer looks exactly like I want it to.
Cut to another person, standing in front of a server rack.
OTHER PERSON: These are my computers, and they run exactly what I want them to!
Cut to Linux logo and slogan.

SomeGuyDude
January 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I think the people suggesting these videos not push any particular system don't understand the point of "advertising".

tarps87
January 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Don't forget to think up an ironic line for the end, like the windows one "windows, a life without walls" where do you put the windows then ;)
I must admit I like cardinals_fan idea

iKonaK
January 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Seems like no one understud the Apple ads, not even Microsoft....
Apple ads are about operating systems and NOT about users, even thou for a plastic effect they use two guys to "argue". They don't say "I use a mac/pc" they say "I am a mac/pc"; their point is to show that OSX and mac's are better than pc/windows.
Microsoft and seems like the linux community took the commercial a bit too serious and there are now ads with a bunch of people who say they are pc and linux, sad.

razerbug
January 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Finally, someone else understands!

The idea I came up with was this:

Cut to busy classroom scene, where a student is working at a laptop. Student looks up to the camera.

Now that one I like - although I agree it should advertise something unless we're just going for showing up Apple/MS for their childish ads

slight problem though: of all my computers the linux one is the one that dosn't work the way I want it to #-o

razerbug
January 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Seems like no one understud the Apple ads, not even Microsoft....
Apple ads are about operating systems and NOT about users, even thou for a plastic effect they use two guys to "argue". They don't say "I use a mac/pc" they say "I am a mac/pc"; their point is to show that OSX and mac's are better than pc/windows.
Microsoft and seems like the linux community took the commercial a bit too serious and there are now ads with a bunch of people who say they are pc and linux, sad.

Actually the original ads where about Apple saying "don't look at the computer - think of it like this: if you use a windows PC you are a stuffy over weight business man with a receding hairline, where as if you use OUR product they will make you into this guy: young, trendy, clever, funny... all the things you want to be."

its the same way Lynx deodorant sells to teenage boys not by saying "it'll make you smell nice" but by saying "it'll get you girls"

MS should have done something like: "I'm not a PC - that's my PC - it dosn't define who I am it just does everything I want it to and it does it better than Mac's that's why they aren't showing your their product, just these 2 guys"

except the iHumans wouldn't get it... :roll:

Can we have the slogan- Linux: because you can't buy a life, but some of you need to get one

:D

MaxIBoy
January 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
can we have the slogan- linux: Because you can't buy a life, but some of you need to get one

:d

+1

Green_Grenade
January 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'd like it to be them Mac, PC guys doing there talkin thing.. then all of a sudden one of them pulls out some Wicked Awesome Sword! and cuts the other guys arms off them takes a helmet outa his pocket, puts it on then some crazy Swan dive on to some concret and then.. Ppl laugh and it pans out and theres some Kids playin with some Ubuntu video editing thing.. laughing cuz the helmet guy some how set on fire after his swan dive.
Then the Epic one liner : " 1010010011001 Translation: Ubuntu, Doing it how you want it done." or something...

-Grenade-

Green_Grenade
January 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I'd like it to be them Mac, PC guys doing there talkin thing.. then all of a sudden one of them pulls out some Wicked Awesome Sword! and cuts the other guys arms off them takes a helmet outa his pocket, puts it on then some crazy Swan dive on to some concret and then.. Ppl laugh and it pans out and theres some Kids playin with some Ubuntu video editing thing.. laughing cuz the helmet guy some how set on fire after his swan dive.
Then the Epic one liner : " 1010010011001 Translation: Ubuntu, Doing it how you want it done." or something...

-Grenade-

bryonak
January 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I think the people suggesting these videos not push any particular system don't understand the point of "advertising".

One might argue that IBM doesn't understand the point of advertising, but I still find this one (http://nimas.ath.cx/ibm_linux/IBM-Linux-1.avi) quite impressive, even though it's quite old. Please don't share this link with too many people, since the server it's on is one of my low-bandwith small ones, so too many people might kill the connection :D These spots are probably on YouTube anyway.

@MaxIBoy
Congratulations, you made it on my list of favourite ideas ;)
You might want to mix it with cardinal_fan's "I'm human, and I use what works for me. You can do the same.", though it's good as it is.

The two well known (stereotyped) guys, "I'm a Mac", "I'm a PC" talk about something. Enters a small girl, two boys playing with a ball, an old women, a worker, a businessman, a police officer, a house wife, about a dozen people. Everyone looks different, has a different tone of skin, clothing "class" etc. "And WE are Linux!".
Though at this point one should make them do something smart/interesting, not just let it stop and display a slogan.

The two well known (stereotyped) guys, "I'm a Mac", "I'm a PC" talk about something. The sound volume gets turned down, their voices become a murmuring. The camera slowly zooms out of the set, showing the director, the sound guys, the makeup crew etc. All wear a t-shirt saying "I'm Linux".
Then some kind of slogan: "Linux. Making everything work" or something more well-worded.

cardinals_fan
January 9th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Now for an Ubuntu specific ad, I like cardinals_fan's idea. It matches the "grassroots" way of spreading Linux.

I think you may have missed the meaning of my comment "I'm human, and I use what works for me. You can do the same." My point is that we shouldn't be advertising or pressing people to use Ubuntu. If they want to use Windows, that's totally OK with me.

cardinals_fan
January 9th, 2009, 01:38 AM

I think you missed the point of my comment. I never specified what I use (it is Linux at the moment). My whole point is that people can and should use whatever they want, whatever that might be. It was meant to be rather ironic, since an advertisement saying "Use whatever you want, not necessarily our product" probably wouldn't be all that potent.

prashi
January 9th, 2009, 01:38 AM
hi sorry yar i dont know anythinggggggggggg

cardinals_fan
January 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM
My comment wasn't meant as an advertisement in the normal since. My point was that people should use whatever they want. I don't care whether it's Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, BSD, MINIX, Haiku, or anything else.

EDIT: Please pardon my triple post, the forum was having issues.

TBOL3
January 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Wow, I didn't think that this would get as much attention as it did. Anyway, I like a lot of your ideas. So, let me respond to them.

A. Yes, I also have quite a bit of knowledge (at an amateur level) about video/audio editing. I was thinking we could make the thing using Blender as a video editor (sorry, but I don't see any other FLOSS players that come anywhere near it's capability.)

B. I also know that letting people do it themselves will result in a ton of crap videos, but I'm hoping that a few of them will actually be somewhat decent. I also know there's problems between various formats NTSC/PAL/etc.

C. I agree, I think the "I'm a PC" ads are stupid, and should die (but I did like them 3 years ago, but MOVE ON!!!). Which is why the slogan I'm a Human. I also like the suggestions to include other OSes, and even someone saying I'm a human, and my PC doesn't define me.

D. I don't have any upload systems in place, but I remember archive.org having something you can use for collaboration, and if they don't, then I'll see if I can get a different web server to temporarily host the user submissions.

E. I'm thinking we'll need to decide on a license for the commercial before we start, it will make tracing down all of the submitters, and getting their permissions much easier. I'm thinking of the CC-BY-SA license, because it (like CC-BY) is one of the few art licenses that I actually think are the equivalent to FLOSS, and unlike CC-BY, there is a ton of free content (for music), that can be used.

Anyway, continue posting comments, when we have a general idea of what's going on, I'll write up, and propose a script.

TBOL3
January 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
"Disregard, this post was just a problem with the forums, read the post above."

Gak, I had a big responce to this thread, but ubuntuforums killed it.

Oh well, let me summarize what I said.

I like a lot of your ideas. I have quite a bit of video/audio editing knowledge. I don't have an uploading system yet, but I will. I hate the "I'm a PC ads" thus "I'm a human", not "I'm linux". I also think we should worry about licensing the film now, so to avoid confusion later, and I proposed CC-BY-SA. Anyway, please continue posting comments.

Thank you

(Remember, this is just the spark notes version, I don't want to re type my post).

joshmuffin
January 9th, 2009, 02:17 AM
C'mon lets do it. Well make a thread were people video themselves and post it on there, then we have a few people assigned to watch and choose which ones will go on the final product. Then someone can add the blurb at the end. We'll put it on youtube and link in our signatures, ask people to spread it ect. If it was done well it may get around and canonical might even jump on board.

Anyone in?

bryonak
January 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Actually just posting to tell you that I've activated the link in my previous posting (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6517778&postcount=24) again...

I think you missed the point of my comment. I never specified what I use (it is Linux at the moment). My whole point is that people can and should use whatever they want, whatever that might be.

Sure, but with you being an very active (compared to most others) user in these forums, and these being forums about the Linux operating system, one could guess that you are using Linux?
Now if one were feeling adventurous, one could venture to say that since these forums are caled ubuntuforums, you are or you were for some time using... Ubuntu?

Since the thread starter is asking for ideas about a Pro-Linux campaign, I thought you were contributing ;)

And I think "You use what's best for you, I'm using Linux because it's best for me" is a valid marketing approach. Especially since the spreading of Linux works the way that you tell it to your friends, family, neighbors, ...

razerbug
January 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM
C'mon lets do it. Well make a thread were people video themselves and post it on there, then we have a few people assigned to watch and choose which ones will go on the final product. Then someone can add the blurb at the end. We'll put it on youtube and link in our signatures, ask people to spread it ect. If it was done well it may get around and canonical might even jump on board.

Anyone in?

I'm tempted to do one with my friend, him with his Macbook which dual boots OSx/XP me with my Laptop and Desktops which boot Vista/Ubuntu Studio/Hackintosh OSx86

and (editing out boot up times) showing them happily switching OS's and working happily in any of the Big 3.

with the two of us saying something like:

"Hi, We're humans, these are Computers, They all run any OS, they're all based on the same hardware, they all have the same features these days and they're all as stable as each other.

These are computers, not lifestyle choice. If you want a product to define you go waste money your money on designer trainers, but Apple, please, please stop filling our airwaves with your cringe worthy adverts!" :D

----------------

but on a more serious note if someone does want to shoot and ad and needs help with editing/sound/graphics, I work in feature film post production and I'm sure I could cut something decent together and encode it for webstribution

theApokalypsis
January 15th, 2009, 02:53 AM
thats def the main point. its about everything together. :)

uknowho008
January 15th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I might be able to supply a webserver to host the videos. I just opened an account through dreamhost that I haven't even used yet. I don't know how we would set it up to upload though... maybe just make an ftp account that we can IM to people that have a video to upload? Not super secure though...

MaxIBoy
January 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a green-screen in my house. However, I'm a pretty good writer, I could contribute some scripts.

I could also contribute some screen-capture footage if that's at all helpful.

TBOL3
January 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM
A. We don't need a green screen. I think it would be better just to show people in their natural environments. And even if we did want to use a random white colored background, we could just achieve that by using a reasonably solid color background, take a picture of it right before you start to shoot, and then film yourself in front of that background. Then use software like blender to take out the background. Sure it's not professional, but it get's the job done.

B. I appreciate the offer. I would like to know how much space that you have at your disposal. I could think of a few ways to upload it, but none of them are very secure.

razerbug
January 16th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I pitched my aboce idea - with a slightly witter script toa mate of mine, and he likes it.

As we're both in TV/Film we've got cameras, chroma screens, hom editing suits etc... so we might put something out there :D

I stand by the irony that I will be using neither Linux, nor the "makes you a cool designer" OSx I have to do editing but the supposedly useless Vista suite to do all this.

Ah where would we be if we actually tried all the OS's and realised most of the myths are ********...

In other news did anyone else here the rumour doing the rounds that, as with Google Chrome/ Chromium, MS is thinking of working off an open source platform but with a corperate improved version... hell is apparently getting chilly.

uknowho008
January 16th, 2009, 02:37 AM
B. I appreciate the offer. I would like to know how much space that you have at your disposal. I could think of a few ways to upload it, but none of them are very secure.

It's supposed to be unlimited space and bandwidth. So it shouldn't be a problem.

MaxIBoy
January 16th, 2009, 02:40 AM
A. We don't need a green screen. I think it would be better just to show people in their natural environments. And even if we did want to use a random white colored background, we could just achieve that by using a reasonably solid color background, take a picture of it right before you start to shoot, and then film yourself in front of that background. Then use software like blender to take out the background. Sure it's not professional, but it get's the job done.
Okay, my camcorder has a still shot feature, so maybe that could work.

I have about 94 gigs of free space on one computer, about 80 gigs on another, and about 75 gigs on a third (but that third is my print server, it's not up to the task of video editing.) I don't currently have the ability nor the inclination to host a DNS server at home, but there are ways to shoot files securely over the Internet.

waapwoop1
January 16th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Why doesn't anyone get that this is aa TERRIBLE idea and will make you all look like fools.

razerbug
January 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Why doesn't anyone get that this is aa TERRIBLE idea and will make you all look like fools.

Well that what the official ads did - I'm not bothered about promoting linux per-say but I think a satire on the existing ads could be fun

brunovecchi
January 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
So, I'm tired of all these commercials saying I'm a PC, or I'm a Mac. How about one that actually says, "I'm a human, and I use ubuntu".

Well, I like your idea. It really puts those ads in perspective, as well as having more profound implications.

It puts them in perspective because it breaks the stupid human impersonation of an operating system, and makes you think about how much of a flame bait those ads are. By saying 'I am a human', it gives a nice refresher of what the position of an OS should be in our lives.

And then, it has a deeper meaning that is well behind the Ubuntu philosophy of prioritizing the human being over the technology, and implying that the latter heavily depends of the community around it.

I don't know if it'll ever get done (I doubt so), but it would be a nice blow to those stupid Mac/PC ads.

dragos240
January 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I say if we were to make this, we could get some people on youtube that have good quality videos and editing skills and convince them to help, and edit it with kdenlive or something. I support this.

steveneddy
January 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'm a human grandfather. And we choose to use Ubuntu.

TBOL3
January 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Well, it appears that there is a tool, that we 'could' use, it's ourmedia, with the Internet Archive. But it requires windows, so I'll keep looking...

handy
January 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM
:lolflag: I thought this thread was started by someone with a tattoo they were proud of.